Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default More Interviews on Houston Home Page

If you haven't done so, go and listen to the latest interviews. Again some interesting tibits there from my perspective.

On the defensive side it appears Weaver seems to be becoming the spokesman. Again he is smart and articulate. When asked about going from the 3-4 to the 4-3 I thought he had an interesting answer. The 4-3 is an attacking defense and he actually felt he would be better in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4 he played in at Baltimore. He said the 3-4 was a passive defense directing the offense to the other defensive players and required much more thinking rather than just playing football.

Wiegert was interviewed, and if you listen closely, he gave Kubiak's speach high marks. Wiegert is another smart and articulate guy. He made references to the fact that the guys worked very hard last year, but things didn't work out.

Over the years I have been fortunate to be a part of or observe some very special athletic teams and events. I have seen people come together and become a force to reckon with. You always had a feeling of something speical happening before it did. There was almost an aora about it. You know, I'm really beginning to get very good vibes about our players, the coaches, and the way all of this is coming together. It's like there is glue that hasn't been present before.

The players like the fact that Kubiak has played the game and knows what it is all about. Wiegert also commented on that aspect of Kubiak. Sherman is keeping a low profile, but I have a feeling he is a very intregal part of what is happening. Our FA picks while not spectactulor are very sound. We are quietly and efficiently filling a lot of holes on our ball club. I dare say we are a couple of players away from being a real challenge to play. The draft just may provide us the players we need to get over the hump.

This coming season is going to be a challenge for us, but so will it be for the teams who play us particularly in the 1st part of the season. They will not be certain as to what or how we are going to set up offensively. They may have some general ideas, but they will not know for certain. While we will also be new to it, they will too. We just might win a couple of ball games we shouldn't. Actually, I have very high hopes for this coming season, but TC will give us a better feel along with the preseason games. If we come together as a team and can avoid a lot of injuries, we just might sneek into the playoffs. Wouldn't that be a hoot....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,299
Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Over the years I have been fortunate to be a part of or observe some very special athletic teams and events. I have seen people come together and become a force to reckon with. You always had a feeling of something speical happening before it did. There was almost an aora about it. You know, I'm really beginning to get very good vibes about our players, the coaches, and the way all of this is coming together. It's like there is glue that hasn't been present before.
Coming from you.. that is a pretty big thing. I know you wouldnt say that lightly. I hope you are right.. I feel better this season than I have any previous season.

before.. I always felt like there was a chance that things could fall into place. That, despite the hurdles, we had the players to go out there and take games over. So there was always that hope that everything would click and we would start winning ballgames.

This year, I dont feel like there is "a chance"..and that there are hurdles to overcome. I feel like we actually have the tools now.. I feel like we have the coaches that can get us there. We wont play well despite the coaches..or despite the gameplan..or despite the lack of talent in some areas.. we will play well because we have the right people showing our players HOW to play well..and putting them in a position where they can use their talent to its greatest potential.

Dunno if all that makes sense...but, bottom line, im stoked
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Much of what you say is the way I feel to. I wanted McNair to revamp the coaching staff and he has done that. It appears we now have a competent head coach, as well as, competent coaching for the O-line. Without the coaching changes we were going nowhere. I may not like everything about Kubiak, but he appears to be a rising star.

I guess we can all get giddy for awhile, but the realy story will be told in TC and the preseason. If we get a few breaks, we draft well, may be BJ suddenly becomes a factor along with a couple of the FA's rising to the top unexpectidly it could get very interesting. I just like what people are saying in the interviews. I think Weaver is quickly becoming the Defensive Team Leader.

You can read between the lines that the old staff must have been mind boggling to those who have evaluated what happen to the Texans. The new staff tries to avoid making comments, but remarks do slip out of the players mouthes. It must have been very hard to play a game you knew you couldn't win because of the coaching. I think our players want to put this embarssement behind them and win in the worst way. NE is good example of a lot of good players playing team ball. That can be a very winning proposition. Any stars are simply icing on the cake.

GOOO TEXAAAANS.................
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame
 
bckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 53
Posts: 2,323
Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Good post Ibar. I have to say I feel the same way about our team, coaches, free agents, and even the upcoming draft. You get a sense that something special is happening here. It may take some time but at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel where as with Capers and company you just knew it was never going to work. They really never looked like an nfl team for an entire 60 minutes under Capers. I hated the day that he was hired.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

One of the signings that has boosted my interest most is the signing of Weaver. If you recall at the start of the 2005 season we released a number of vertern players including Glenn. Our defense part of the game was hurt very badly by that action because it left only Wong to be the ON Field General - Play caller. When Wong went down there was no one to replace him and Capers had relied on him to a very large extent. Before 2005 you had a number of people who could assume that role. That left the club leaderless on defense and it showed. DROB was just to young to take on that role.

Now, I have the impression we have another very capable person to fill that role. The guy is very smart and I believe was picked up for this reason as well. We our still looking at a couple of older guys in the FA and I think that is why. We need to have a couple of people who can fill this role and hope some of our younger players begin to develop where they can also step in if necessary.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #6
Htown34s
Veteran
 
Htown34s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 384
Rep Power: 11 Htown34s is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I have seen people come together and become a force to reckon with. You always had a feeling of something speical happening before it did. There was almost an aora about it. You know, I'm really beginning to get very good vibes about our players, the coaches, and the way all of this is coming together. It's like there is glue that hasn't been present before.
Personally, I just never got a good vibe from Capers. He never appeared to have a lot of confidence. He always looked a little scared.
__________________
"I'm going to win them over regardless" -Mario Williams
Htown34s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 45,157
Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Our defense part of the game was hurt very badly by that action because it left only Wong to be the ON Field General - Play caller. When Wong went down there was no one to replace him and Capers had relied on him to a very large extent. Before 2005 you had a number of people who could assume that role. That left the club leaderless on defense and it showed. DROB was just to young to take on that role.
Why do people keep acting like the Texans' D fielded 10 rookies plus Dunta last year? There were plenty of old guys, which seems to be synonymous with leader to some folks:

Gary Walker 11th season
Marcus Coleman 10th season
Seth Payne 9th season
Robaire Smith 6th season
DaShon Polk 6th season
Kailee Wong 8th season
Morlon Greenwood 5th season
Lewis Sanders 5th season

That was not an experience deprived D--it just wasn't a good one.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2006   #8
stevo3883
All Pro
 
stevo3883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: h-town
Age: 34
Posts: 733
Rep Power: 9 stevo3883 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Why do people keep acting like the Texans' D fielded 10 rookies plus Dunta last year? There were plenty of old guys, which seems to be synonymous with leader to some folks:

Gary Walker 11th season- injured
Marcus Coleman 10th season-injured/supended
Seth Payne 9th season
Robaire Smith 6th season
DaShon Polk 6th season-little experience
Kailee Wong 8th season-injured
Morlon Greenwood 5th season-no one respects girly tacklers
Lewis Sanders 5th season-little experience

That was not an experience deprived D--it just wasn't a good one.
so we basically had 2 vets in position to lead, and I don't see any of those qualities in robaire. I see SOME, not much, but some in payne.
__________________
Go Team?
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 45,157
Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Gary Walker played the majority of the season.
Marcus Coleman started the majority of the season.
Wong played in the 1st 5 games--they still sucked.
Greenwood--whatever you say.

In any event, the main point was some folks treat all vets as leaders. Your Robaire comment seems to actually be in agreement with me that just because a guy is a vet doesn't mean he is a leader. We didn't lose a leader in Sharper, we did in Glenn. Weaver looks like he will be a leader, but because of how he acts not because of his age.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #10
edo783
Site Contributor
 
edo783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, again.
Posts: 7,706
Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Weaver looks like he will be a leader, but because of how he acts not because of his age.
Spot on and a very good point.
__________________


De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Gary Walker played the majority of the season.
Marcus Coleman started the majority of the season.
Wong played in the 1st 5 games--they still sucked.
Greenwood--whatever you say.

In any event, the main point was some folks treat all vets as leaders. Your Robaire comment seems to actually be in agreement with me that just because a guy is a vet doesn't mean he is a leader. We didn't lose a leader in Sharper, we did in Glenn. Weaver looks like he will be a leader, but because of how he acts not because of his age.
I think you are taking me out of context. What I said was with Glenn and Sharper and people like that gone we had no one to replace Wong when he went down. I wasn't calling Coleman or Walker leaders who could call the defensive plays. Every team has 1 to 3 guys who can call the defensive plays. We lost that capability last year when Wong went down, because he was the only one assigned and capable of that task. DROB was simply not ready to assume that task. I'm saying that any older defensive player we pick up will probably be looked at in light of his leadership and field generalship qualities, but that won't necessarily be the deciding factor.

Again Weaver has been around for awhile and is intelligent enough to understand the whole defensive game. I'm saying he is far more valueable than some people think. After all some don't even understand why we picked him up. Of the players pickup he is in my estimation one of the best if not the best.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 45,157
Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think you are taking me out of context. What I said was with Glenn and Sharper and people like that gone we had no one to replace Wong when he went down. I wasn't calling Coleman or Walker leaders who could call the defensive plays. Every team has 1 to 3 guys who can call the defensive plays. We lost that capability last year when Wong went down, because he was the only one assigned and capable of that task. DROB was simply not ready to assume that task.
I'm confused--is your comment about leadership or on field play calling? And who are "people like that"? Foreman, not Sharper called the front seven formation for three years until Wong took over. Wong was 5 games into that responsibility when injured. Are you trying to say the reason for the bad D was the on field calls by Polk?--do you have any examples? The FS calls the secondary, i.e. Coleman not Glenn, Dunta or any CB.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

These same guys you are talking about are some of the ones that called out the coaches on their play calling. So if the leaders think it's bad then the team thinks it's bad. NO enthusiasm NO drive No will, NO WINS!!!!!! Bring in the fresh air,play some ball and let's KICK SUM A**
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger