Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2006   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jabar Gaffney's parting words....

Not sure if this has been posted before or if it belongs in the NFL section?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ho...l.jsp?id=46098

Quote:

"It was totally different from Houston," said Gaffney during his introductory press conference Tuesday. "Just seeing the guys, how close knit they were and everything with the facility is top of the line. It's totally different. It's a real organization and I'm happy to be a part of it."

"A lot of times you went out there and before you even get into your routes, you could hear the crowd," said Gaffney. "You may get halfway into your route and (David Carr) was already sacked. It was frustrating."

"As soon as the season was over, I was putting the bug in their ear," said Sheppard, who was with Gaffney in Brazil when Gaffney signed his contract. "He knows he's better than what the stats show. When you're going through things like Houston was going through, they can't protect the quarterback for one and then when they do, he only has time to look at one receiver, it's hard for him to be productive. This is a better situation for him to shine and do his thing."
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #2
el toro
All Pro

Yeah, things sucked under Capers.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #3
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Some of the thing Gaffney said could be preceived as harsh. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I hope Gaffney finds what he is looking for, he is still one of my favorites.

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #4
BWPaint
Rookie

yea, I remember words my dad told me

"those who want to blame others, are usually the ones that are average players"....

this proves my pops correct.......lets make excuses, not work harder

...typical response of the athelets produced today in our society...
BWPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I read the highlighted parts.

1. The players were at each other's throats at the end of the season last year. It happens in bad years. Im sure Gaffney just had a sour taste in his mouth.. I wouldnt read too deeply into it.

2. I bet it was frustrating. It was frustrating to watch too.

3. He is in a better situation in Philly than he was here in Houston the last 3 seasons. But Ill bet ya dimes to donuts that in a couple years, we are gonna have a better offense than philly (maybe even this next season)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #6
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWPaint

"those who want to blame others, are usually the ones that are average players"....

I would agree about most athletes today....but I don't feel like Gaffney was like that.

I don't find anything that he said very hard to believe. Do you? It's all the truth. And I don't see how anyone could say that Gaffney didn't work hard. Everytime he had the chance, he played well. He has very reliable hands and played well as the #1 reciever when AJ was hurt. He was just tired of an offense and team that sucked....can't blame him.

It's too bad that he is leaving now that it all seems to be getting better w/ the new coaching staff, etc.
Old 03-22-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, because we as fans can piss and moan and pick apart every part of the team but the actual players have no right to even give a factually correct account of how things were--what a loser he is.
Old 03-22-2006   #8
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Should be a eye opener for us. However the eagles are filthy rich!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #9
el toro
All Pro

That article shows that the Texans have already pulled off the most significant and most needed move of the offseason with the coaching change. Free agency isn't over, the draft is a month away, and already peeps want to throw the new staff under the bus. If this was Detroit, I could understand.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his comments are 100% truth, even if he did enjoy saying it a little. Regardless of whether Carr is worth his salt, he has never been protected, except against defenses with no pass rush at all (like in practice, lol).
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with what he said, it was 100% the truth
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #12
SESupergenius

I go along with everything he said, Carr just didn't have the time and this offense never came together. Add to that that we ran it way too much and were predictable. We just didn't have an offensive line that could shove it down your throat and burn you if you played the run. And we still don't
Old 03-22-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I don't understand this..... R you saying Gaffney should have ran faster?? You do understand he is saying the same thing everyone else in America(except maybe the Texans FO) is saying.......... David didn't have a chance to throw the ball, and when he did they didn't have time to run their routes..

I don't understand what the Texans want out of a #2, if Gaffney doesn't fit the mold... Despite the limitations he had to work with, his numbers are almost identicle to the #1 rated reciever in FA(well, before T.O. got in the race). Now we've got an obscure WR, and trying to get another coming off a major injury.............. I'm not following that.
Old 03-22-2006   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Gaff is a class guy, and it was a sad thing to see him go, because he would have flourished in Kubiaks offense. Gaffney is the same style player as TJ Housh in Cinci but faster and he just never got the chance to prove it. You realize that he and armstrong even though having bad stats and not tons of balls thrown their way were in the top of the NFL as far as catches for first downs. That is the job of the #2 you make the first downs and be the target over the middle and the #1 gets the touchdowns and credit for his big play ability. Sad to see him go, but I think some combination of Mathis, Armstrong, Rookie, Walter, and possibly Bush will get the job done opposite AJ.
Old 03-22-2006   #15
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

I guess he just really REALLY wanted to play with cousin Lito
Old 03-22-2006   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I go along with everything he said, Carr just didn't have the time and this offense never came together. Add to that that we ran it way too much and were predictable. We just didn't have an offensive line that could shove it down your throat and burn you if you played the run. And we still don't
I go along with your remarks SES. And Gaffs comments aren't in any way, shape, or form sour grapes as some, including the Chronicles article tiltle,
want to imply. Remarks like this from a former player just tend to validate McNairs decision to can Capers and bring in Kubiak.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Jabar kept it professional as he did when he was here. Not being able to see him work in a real passing game stinks, but so is the business.
Old 03-22-2006   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good luck Gaff. It was good having ya while it lasted. I dont think this program will be anything until at least next year. I feel there will still be alot of old habits that need to be broken, before our QB can run an effective offense.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #19
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod01
Gaffney let Carr off easy. He should have said what he was really thinking. Carr is horrible and can't scan the field before he takes off for the sidelines. He runs even when there is no pressure because he is awful. That's what he was thinking.

I'm letting you off easy by only saying that I disagree with this post. What I'm thinking I'll leave to your imagination.
Old 03-22-2006   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod01
Gaffney let Carr off easy. He should have said what he was really thinking. Carr is horrible and can't scan the field before he takes off for the sidelines. He runs even when there is no pressure because he is awful. That's what he was thinking.
Oh is it? Is that what his official statment was? This article actually lets you know that our QB had zero time to get rid of the ball. I mean Gaff says he was in the Middle of his route and could hear the crowd yell. Do other teams have plays where protection breaks down before the WR's finish their routes?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read