Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-21-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Young Pro Day

"Young, Huff and defensive tackle Rod Wright will go through position drills today. They will run 40-yard sprints and participate in speed, strength and agility drills."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...22TEXFOOT.html

Might be vague reporting or some worthwhile news.

4.4?
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #2
Dunta_23
All Pro

I say if he runs it is a 4.54 tops
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think VY at least runs a 4.4 if not better. I wouldnt be suprised if he was in the low 4.4s maybe somewhere near a high 4.3
Old 03-21-2006   #4
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

It was actually a 4.45...For young that is!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

do you have a link for that time?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #6
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...inceyoung.html
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #7
jayj0225
Rookie

Texas' pro day is not till wed Mar 22
jayj0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Texas has their pro day Wednesday March 22, so no one has run yet. I doubt Huff runs the 40 and such after his great run at the Combine, but he'll probably do position drills. I don't know if Vince will run the 40 or not. If he is going to run in the mid-4.4s, then if he's smart he'll run just in case he doesn't wow people with his throwing so they at least know he's fast. If he won't be able to run in the 4.4s and will be more like the 4.5s then I'm not sure he runs since "everyone knows what he can do with his legs" and he won't be proving any kind of amazing speed with those times. Bottom line Vince's draft stock comes entirely down to how well he throws the ball tomorrow, that will be the #1 remaining factor in where he goes in the draft since he's done nothing since January 4th to improve his stock. His 40 time is going to be just a little icing on the cake or a little consolation prize depending on how his arm looks.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #9
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Texas has their pro day Wednesday March 22, so no one has run yet. I doubt Huff runs the 40 and such after his great run at the Combine, but he'll probably do position drills. I don't know if Vince will run the 40 or not. If he is going to run in the mid-4.4s, then if he's smart he'll run just in case he doesn't wow people with his throwing so they at least know he's fast. If he won't be able to run in the 4.4s and will be more like the 4.5s then I'm not sure he runs since "everyone knows what he can do with his legs" and he won't be proving any kind of amazing speed with those times. Bottom line Vince's draft stock comes entirely down to how well he throws the ball tomorrow, that will be the #1 remaining factor in where he goes in the draft since he's done nothing since January 4th to improve his stock. His 40 time is going to be just a little icing on the cake or a little consolation prize depending on how his arm looks.
I agree completely. If he does run, it should be because he's been burning the track up lately. Hasn't Texas track been slow in recent years?
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #10
Nighthawk
All Pro

Seems like the only way Vince Young can stop his (very expensive) slide is to throw the bejesus out of the ball, make every throw, look great doing it, have perfect timing, have his release look reasonably like a regular QB, run a 4.3, and have other great drills. I don't expect half of this to happen.

Then I expect him to go 7-13 in the draft and sit for half a year before starting a career I think (and hope) will be exceptional. Look forward to watching him play at "the next level" and seeing just how much of the domination of the college game falls away in the pros.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think he will have to sit for longer than half of a season. I would say a full season minimum, possibly two seasons.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I think he will have to sit for longer than half of a season. I would say a full season minimum, possibly two seasons.
Except for the Brees/Rivers situation, no top 10 draft pick should sit for more than 1 season. It just seems counterproductive. THe best learning is on the field during game time
Old 03-22-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Vince is a very raw player who will need a lot of work. He isn't the typical top 10 draft pick QB.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I think VY at least runs a 4.4 if not better. I wouldnt be suprised if he was in the low 4.4s maybe somewhere near a high 4.3
maybe if super mario was chasing him.
Old 03-22-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The guys on 610 am said Vince is not going to run or lift at his pro-day.
Old 03-22-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 53090 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The guys on 610 am said Vince is not going to run or lift at his pro-day.
What does this mean?

I haven't followed real close because i've never been a real draftnik, but he didn't run or lift at the combine, correct? Does this mean he won't ever have a timed 40 or lift before the draft? I find that unsettling for a guy who's list of strengths always include fast and strong.

Is this unusual for guys who already think they have guaranteed themselves a high draft slot?

Last edited by Runner; 03-22-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
What does this mean?

I haven't followed real close becuase i've never been a real draftnik, but he didn't run or lift at the combine, correct? Does this mean he won't ever have a timed 40 or lift before the draft? I find that unsettling for a guy who's list of strengths always include fast and strong.

Is this unusual for guys who already think they have guaranteed themselves a high draft slot?
Yeah, if he is going to play WR. Nobody really cares about the top end speed of a QB in the NFL. They just want to see him throw the ball like an NFL QB.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
What does this mean?

I haven't followed real close becuase i've never been a real draftnik, but he didn't run or lift at the combine, correct? Does this mean he won't ever have a timed 40 or lift before the draft? I find that unsettling for a guy who's list of strengths always include fast and strong.

My impression is most guys even at the top do these tests at their pro-day although many skip doing them at the combine. Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning all did strength and speed tests. It probably should be irrelevent because there is plenty of tape of him running and they can judge his arm strength from the passing. I wonder if this isn't a mistake by his handlers though--it never seems like a good idea IMO to stand out for not doing something.
Old 03-22-2006   #19
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

In the end it'll be irrelevant .... but you can bet that if he (or his management) were confident that he could rip off a 4.4 40 or 25 reps on the bench that he'd be doing it ....
Old 03-22-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
In the end it'll be irrelevant .... but you can bet that if he (or his management) were confident that he could rip off a 4.4 40 or 25 reps on the bench that he'd be doing it ....
Frankly, they just want everyone with the mindset that he is a QB and probably only want to showcase his arm. If people can't tell he is fast by watching him play, then they have issues. If Young is going to be a top 5 pick it will because he throws well, not because he runs a 4.43

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read