Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2006   #1
newbiefan
Rookie

Default OT's in the draft

Hopefully we sign Flanagan and our interior line is pretty set. Leaving the only OL question at RT (or LT if you're one of those that argue Pitts should move to RT)

Looking at the OT's of the draft....
1. D’brick
2. Winston justice
3. Eric Winston
4. Marcus McNeill
5. Daryn Colledge
6. Jonathan Scott
7. Jeremy Trueblood

7 guys who could step in and probably start.

Now look at the previous 3 drafts tackles taken in rounds 1 and 2...

8 Carolina Jordan Gross T Utah
20 Denver George Foster T Georgia
26 San Francisco Kwame Harris T Stanford
37 New Orleans Jon Stinchcomb T Georgia

3 first round, 1 second round

2 Oakland Robert Gallery T Iowa
16 Philadelphia Shawn Andrews T Arkansas
19 Miami Vernon Carey T Miami
52 Dallas Jacob Rogers T Southern California

3 first round, 1 second round

13 New Orleans (from Houston) Brown, Jammal T Oklahoma
19 St. Louis Barron, Alex T Florida State
41 Tennessee (from Detroit) Roos, Michael T Eastern Washington
49 Minnesota Johnson, Marcus T Mississippi
52 Jacksonville Barnes, Khalif T Washington
64 Baltimore (from New England) Terry, Adam T Syracuse

2 first round, 4 second round

www.nfl.com/draft

Just based on trends the last few years, there's a good chance one of the top OT's falls to us at #65. Unless, Winston or Justice falls out of the first round, I think #33 should be used to draft secondary help, FS hopefully, or #2 CB, whichever is the BPA.

Then we hope that one of the top tier OT's is available at 65. Most likely Scott or Trueblood will be.
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting analysis; I hadn't seen that kind of rundown before. It isn't exact because every draft is different because strength at the various positions fluctuates from year to year. I like it though.

I don't think all 7 tackles that you listed could start the first year, and I still think we need interior line help more. However, I wouldn't mind drafting for depth and seasoning.
Old 03-20-2006   #3
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I think that Trueblood and maybe Colledge will be there in the 3rd.
Old 03-21-2006   #4
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I think that Trueblood and maybe Colledge will be there in the 3rd.
Maybe even the 4th. I like Trueblood, he has a nasty streak and a motor. Don't know much about Colledge.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if the Texans continue the good work of addressing needs via free agency, you can bet the house, given this luxury, they will pluck some OT in the draft. not sure if it will work like this "he fell right into our laps, we had a 1st rd. grade on him" or "he was our #1 target all along we just felt by trading down we gained extra value in the process and still got our man".
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #6
Eyeguy
Veteran

I think that by using the 33rd pick on an OT we get the one best suited for our zone blocking. Winston, McNeill, Colledge, or Scott at #33 will secure the weakest position on the team for the past 4 years. Yes, we need help in the Def. backfield, however we have gone through several CB's and done well over the past 2 years. We have NEVER had decent tackel play! This year has a good crop of tackles. Using the #33 on a tackle this year will be equal to drafting one in the top half of the 1st round in previous years. Draft a DB in the 3rd and 5th rd. We can obtain DB's through FA, trades or furture drafts. It might be another 4 years before we get a shot at the quality of tackle @ #33 this year.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

If Winston falls he would definately be the pick at 33. If he does not the other 3 guys you mentioned would not be very solid picks. I could see a possible reach for McNeil who has carried a first round grade, but Colledge and Scott are mid second/third rounders
Old 03-21-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
Maybe even the 4th. I like Trueblood, he has a nasty streak and a motor. Don't know much about Colledge.
Ugh, Trueblood looks like a younger Todd Wade from everything I've seen of him. I'll pass on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy
I think that by using the 33rd pick on an OT we get the one best suited for our zone blocking. Winston, McNeill, Colledge, or Scott at #33 will secure the weakest position on the team for the past 4 years. Yes, we need help in the Def. backfield, however we have gone through several CB's and done well over the past 2 years. We have NEVER had decent tackel play! This year has a good crop of tackles. Using the #33 on a tackle this year will be equal to drafting one in the top half of the 1st round in previous years. Draft a DB in the 3rd and 5th rd. We can obtain DB's through FA, trades or furture drafts. It might be another 4 years before we get a shot at the quality of tackle @ #33 this year.
I would not at all be opposed to this plan depending on who's available. Eric Winston would definitely be my pick at #33 if he falls that far. I don't think Marcus McNeill is a great fit for a zone blocking scheme, although he is probably the 4th best overall OT in the draft. Daryn Colledge would be the next best fit for our zone blocking, I don't think he's good enoudh to warrant the #33 pick but I don't see him falling to the 3rd round so I'd be willing to take him at #33 depending on who else is available. Jonathan Scott is not worth the #33 pick, he could definitely fall to #65, and I'm not entirely sure how good of a fit he is for zone blocking, some of what I've seen of him he looks quick enough but at other times he doesn't, either way I wouldn't take him at #33.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 03-21-2006 at 10:58 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #9
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Ugh, Trueblood looks like a younger Todd Wade from everything I've seen of him. I'll pass on him.

I would not at all be opposed to this plan depending on who's available. Eric Winston would definitely be my pick at #33 if he falls that far. I don't think Marcus McNeill is a great fit for a zone blocking scheme, although he is probably the 4th best overall OT in the draft. Daryn Colledge would be the next best fir for our zone blocking, I don't think he's good enoudh to warrant the #33 pick but I don't see him falling to the 3rd round so I'd be willing to take him at #33 depending on who else is available. Jonathan Scott is not worth the #33 pick, he could definitely fall to #65, and I'm not entirely sure how good of a fit he is for zone blocking, some of what I've seen of him he looks quick enough but at other times he doesn't, either way I wouldn't take him at #33.
I'm with you on this. Unless one of D'Brick, Justice, or Winston falls to #33, I don't see the Texans biting on OLine. Mangold would be the only interior lineman I would see them taking that early.

I've always seen Denver's draft picks for zone blocking as being "tweener" types, not unlike a 3-4 OLB. Get a non-typical guy to fit the system in later rounds.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #10
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle

I would not at all be opposed to this plan depending on who's available. Eric Winston would definitely be my pick at #33 if he falls that far. I don't think Marcus McNeill is a great fit for a zone blocking scheme, although he is probably the 4th best overall OT in the draft. Daryn Colledge would be the next best fir for our zone blocking, I don't think he's good enoudh to warrant the #33 pick but I don't see him falling to the 3rd round so I'd be willing to take him at #33 depending on who else is available. Jonathan Scott is not worth the #33 pick, he could definitely fall to #65, and I'm not entirely sure how good of a fit he is for zone blocking, some of what I've seen of him he looks quick enough but at other times he doesn't, either way I wouldn't take him at #33.
Marcus McNeill is much more of an athlete than people give him credit for
People read how big he is and think he's a slug. he's 335-340 and runs a 5.0 40
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
Marcus McNeill is much more of an athlete than people give him credit for
People read how big he is and think he's a slug. he's 335-340 and runs a 5.0 40
McNeill has a decent 40 time and has good top speed for an OLineman, but that's not as important as their initial quickness and their lateral quickness (i.e. their short shuttle, 3 cone drill, and 10 yard split on their 40). I realize he's a pretty good athlete but I still don't think he's an ideal fit for a zone blocking scheme.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read