Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-20-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hutchinson most likely a Viking

The Vikings are really sticking it to the Seahawks with the offersheet they put in for Hutchinson

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/318772.html
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
An attorney for the NFL's players' union confirmed Monday that a special master ruled against Seattle, saying a provision guaranteeing all of the $49 million in an offer sheet Hutchinson signed with Minnesota should he not be the team's highest-paid offensive lineman is valid.
A contract like this for a guard seems a bit nutty to me.
Old 03-20-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

the crux of the matter is that he only gets that money if he ISNT the highest paid lineman on the team.

The thing is.. the Seahawks just signed whats-his-name to a contract just slightly larger than that one... so if they match the offer, they have to pay him the 49 million.. while if he goes to the Vikings, he will be the highest paid lineman and they wont have to pay the 49 million.

There is alot more to it than that and im sure a cap guru here can point out the flaws in my summary ..but that is basicly what the deal is.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
the crux of the matter is that he only gets that money if he ISNT the highest paid lineman on the team.

The thing is.. the Seahawks just signed whats-his-name to a contract just slightly larger than that one... so if they match the offer, they have to pay him the 49 million.. while if he goes to the Vikings, he will be the highest paid lineman and they wont have to pay the 49 million.

There is alot more to it than that and im sure a cap guru here can point out the flaws in my summary ..but that is basicly what the deal is.
I understand what you're saying, I'm just thinking that could backfire on the Vikings. Does it mean they will not be able to pay a LT, RT, RG, or RT, more than this guy for 7 seasons or just the 1st season of the contract?
Old 03-20-2006   #5
Dunta_23
All Pro

I read today that Walter Jones restructured his contract so it is worth less than Hutchinsons, therefor the money doesnt have to be guarenteed...

Seahawks | Jones reworks contract
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:51:41 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks OLT Walter Jones has reworked his contract with the team so his average per year drops below the $7 million average OLG Steve Hutchinson's offer sheet with the Minnesota Vikings averages. It is believed Jones added another year to his contract with a base salary of $1 million. The extra year will void in the end, but it drops his yearly contract average. The team converted his 2006 roster bonus of $2 million into a signing bonus.
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #6
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
I read today that Walter Jones restructured his contract so it is worth less than Hutchinsons, therefor the money doesnt have to be guarenteed...

Seahawks | Jones reworks contract
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:51:41 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks OLT Walter Jones has reworked his contract with the team so his average per year drops below the $7 million average OLG Steve Hutchinson's offer sheet with the Minnesota Vikings averages. It is believed Jones added another year to his contract with a base salary of $1 million. The extra year will void in the end, but it drops his yearly contract average. The team converted his 2006 roster bonus of $2 million into a signing bonus.
Now that is some clever management right there. I hope our front office would be that creative.

First lets work on getting tow players worth doing that with.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

does anyone know when the time for Hutchinson to decide is?
Old 03-20-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
does anyone know when the time for Hutchinson to decide is?
Hutchinson doesn't get to decide, the Seahawks do.
Old 03-21-2006   #9
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Hutchinson's a Viking

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2377300

The Seahawks decided Monday not to match the seven-year, $49 million offer sheet on Steve Hutchinson, allowing the All-Pro guard to go to the Minnesota Vikings.

Quote:
The seven-day deadline to match the Vikings' seven-year, $49 million offer sheet expired at midnight ET Monday. The Seahawks did not notify Hutchinson, the Vikings or his agent, Tom Condon, that they were going to match the offer. By letting the deadline pass, Hutchinson became property of the Vikings.
Old 03-21-2006   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

HE IS A GUARD!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break here. Seattle is better off just drafting a guard in the 2nd. I cant believe Minn is paying that much for Hutch. If I was a Vikings fan, I would be a little upset with my new headcoach.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #11
PokerStar
Veteran

Why they just got the best G in the game, plus Hutchinson can play RT if you want him to. He played it in Seattle before moving to G. The guy can play and is really solid. Is it smart to pay that much for a G hell no, but when you are trying to form a new identity and become a power, plus you are a small market team like minnesota it is time to make sure you get a good return on your investment. All these moves have Minnesota looking like a contender. Wait they lost an All-Pro QB well in a few years they will look more like a contender.
Old 03-21-2006   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStar
Why they just got the best G in the game, plus Hutchinson can play RT if you want him to.
Who says he is the best guard in the game? That is just your opinion. What about Kendall Simmons, Will Shields, Alan Faneca, Joe Andruzzi?

And alot of guards can play RT. Its not a rare thing. Hell, even Weigert can play RT.

I just dont feel that you can tie up that much cap with a guard. LT, yes. QB, yes. CB, yes. But a guard?

I guess we will just have to wait and see if the move paid off.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
HE IS A GUARD!!!!!!!!!
Give me a break here. Seattle is better off just drafting a guard in the 2nd. I cant believe Minn is paying that much for Hutch. If I was a Vikings fan, I would be a little upset with my new headcoach.
Somebody said elsewhere in this thread that he can play tackle. Well then he better play tackle for this kind of money, because as this poster says, "he is
a guard !!".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

The Vikings also signned FB Tony Richardson from the Chiefs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read