Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-20-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default ferguson v.s. williams

why wouldnt anybody want ferguson over williams?
The texans need a franchise left tackle and we already signed weaver.
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #2
Mathis13
Veteran

Weaver is not a big playmaker or a pass rusher. He just plays the run very well
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Because we have a good LT already in Pitts.. he may not be Orlando Pace.. but it lowers the value of the Dbrickshaw pick.

2. This is the deepest OT draft in recent memory.. and the drop off in OT talent from the 1st to 2nd is miniscule.. we can get quality tackles in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, easily.

3. Dbrickshaw is a great prospect..but he isnt a rare prospect. Tackles like Ferguson come out every couple of seasons or so. Prospects like Williams are very rare. A DE of his size with his athletic ability is hard to come by. Julius Peppers is right up there with Dwight Freeney as one of the best DEs in the league, and Williams seems like a Julius Peppers clone.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
why wouldnt anybody want ferguson over williams?
The texans need a franchise left tackle and we already signed weaver.
I want ferguson more than anybody, but the fact is williams is a freak of nature. He will most likely have an immediate impact, where as of ferguson will need a year or two to fully develope into the elite tackle he is destined to be.........I still want ferguson though!!!!
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #5
Kookus
Rookie

I would love to have williams if we could trade down to get him, but don't think we need to sell out the farm for D'Brick we should trust the system with the personnel we got and fix other holes on the team.
Old 03-20-2006   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookus
I would love to have williams if we could trade down to get him, but don't think we need to sell out the farm for D'Brick we should trust the system with the personnel we got and fix other holes on the team.
*starts to pout*
Old 03-20-2006   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Im still hoping for D'Brick or Mario, but Im coming to the realization that its gonna be Reggie...it was a good dream though...
Old 03-20-2006   #8
Mathis13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Im still hoping for D'Brick or Mario, but Im coming to the realization that its gonna be Reggie...it was a good dream though...
wats wrong with reggie? he's a playmaker and will improve our offense drastically
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
1. Because we have a good LT already in Pitts.. he may not be Orlando Pace.. but it lowers the value of the Dbrickshaw pick.

2. This is the deepest OT draft in recent memory.. and the drop off in OT talent from the 1st to 2nd is miniscule.. we can get quality tackles in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, easily.

3. Dbrickshaw is a great prospect..but he isnt a rare prospect. Tackles like Ferguson come out every couple of seasons or so. Prospects like Williams are very rare. A DE of his size with his athletic ability is hard to come by. Julius Peppers is right up there with Dwight Freeney as one of the best DEs in the league, and Williams seems like a Julius Peppers clone.
On steriods he is bigger, faster, and stronger than JP. Which is hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
3. Dbrickshaw is a great prospect..but he isnt a rare prospect. Tackles like Ferguson come out every couple of seasons or so. Prospects like Williams are very rare.
Although I do agree with most of your post, I must disagree on this one point. Both players are rare prospects. Just wait until his pro day tommorow. I think that his shuttle speed will be the most impressive out of all the o-lineman in the draft. Hes not big, but he is the most athletic prospect since Pace, just as Williams is to Peppers. Even players like Gallery who were top OT prospects in their own right were not in the same league as Ferguson.

This is because Gallery and other top OT prospects are more complete players than Ferguson, who is still head and shoulders over them in athletic ablility, but still has alot to learn and a lot of strenght to gain as well.
Old 03-21-2006   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookus
we can draft d'brick and address holes with our other picks....

it works in the draft bush arguements
Old 03-21-2006   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathis13
wats wrong with reggie? he's a playmaker and will improve our offense drastically
Well, Bush plays in a position of strength for the team and Williams and Ferguson play in positions/areas that have been team weaknesses since day 1.
Old 03-21-2006   #13
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Although I do agree with most of your post, I must disagree on this one point. Both players are rare prospects. Just wait until his pro day tommorow. I think that his shuttle speed will be the most impressive out of all the o-lineman in the draft. Hes not big, but he is the most athletic prospect since Pace, just as Williams is to Peppers. Even players like Gallery who were top OT prospects in their own right were not in the same league as Ferguson.

This is because Gallery and other top OT prospects are more complete players than Ferguson, who is still head and shoulders over them in athletic ablility, but still has alot to learn and a lot of strenght to gain as well.
Well said buff...
Old 03-21-2006   #14
Dunta_23
All Pro

I just dont see Kubiak bringing in a player like D'Brick that high in the draft...he seems to prefer late round guys that he and his staff develop into the players they want them to be..I personally dont think we can go wrong with Brick, Mario, or Bush
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
I just dont see Kubiak bringing in a player like D'Brick that high in the draft...he seems to prefer late round guys that he and his staff develop into the players they want them to be..I personally dont think we can go wrong with Brick, Mario, or Bush
fair enough, but what about McNair and his promise to Carr "we must do a better job of protecting David" & will it be time for Casserly to step up to the coach and say "this is what we need the most". Not to mention D'Brickashaw is perfect for Kubiacs zone blocking scheme
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Just a couple of drafts ago they used the 20th pick on George Foster. Not saying they will take D'Brick, but if he is the value at the spot they are picking and fits the system the track record actually supports them being willing to spend a high pick on an OT.
Old 03-21-2006   #17
el toro
All Pro

How good the Texans have it (on draft day) when the talk is of 'settling' for Reggie Bush.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier

gallery was bigger(6'7" 325), stronger, ran a 4.98 40, 456-pound bench press, 620-pound squat 382-pound power clean,31-inch vertical jump, 4.38 20-yard shuttle, 7.43 three-cone drill

Ferguson is by no means "head and shoulders" above him. if he is even above him at all
Old 03-21-2006   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Stevo this may be one of the only times I agree with your horn loving behind. Anyway you are right on this one Gallery was a beast coming out and Ferguson is a very good blocker, maybe better technique than Gallery, but no were near the beast Gallery was and is. Mario or Bush are the only options worthy of a number 1 pick for us unless we go with Leinhart, but since that is not happening it is Mario or Bush. Bush is the pick and I am ok with that, but Mario will change the game so much more. It is easier for a defense to gameplan for speed and options, but it is harder for an offense to change what it wants to do because of a freakish pass rusher that gets sacks and pressures. Ask Carr, Peyton, or any other QB that you respect and they will tell you the same thing.
Old 03-21-2006   #20
Dunta_23
All Pro

I agree that Brick would be a solid pick..I just think that the staff feels they can teach a guy to block but you cant teach a player Reggies skills or Mario Williams skills etc. I wouldnt be dissapointed with Brick at all.

As to Bob McNair's promise to help David Carr out...Drafting a LT # 1 overall doesnt solve that problem...it would help but it doesnt solve it....there are a number of good tackles in this draft but this line isnt 1 LT away from keeping DC in the pocket all the time...they need a solid C, a good G and a good T...and then time to work together...if they draft 2 linemen and pick up 1 or 2 in FA this yr then they will start to have the proper depth and players can start to fight for jobs and start to learn the system so that if 1 lineman goes down the entrie thing doesnt go to shambles.
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read