Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2006   #1
texansrock
Rookie

Default The secondary...

Think that the Texans definetly need to improve the defensive secondary??? Nothing against Faggins he just didnt really impress much last year.
texansrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Im with you on this one, we need to find a #2 CB. Wether its Fagins, Buchanon, someone in FA (although I highly doubt this option), or drafting someone in round 2 or 3, someone needs to emerge. My thought is Id like to give Fagins an entire year with a pass rush to see how he does. If he screws up, find someone next year.
Old 03-19-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I list CB as one of my top 3 needs this offseason. Id like to see us address it through the draft though.

Richard Marshall in the third is my pick.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #4
texansrock
Rookie

i think we trade buchanon for whatever we can get, keep faggins for depth and get a good #2
texansrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #5
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Keep buchanon as a competitor and depth and draft
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansrock
Think that the Texans definetly need to improve the defensive secondary???
Only if we want to win. We at least need a starting FS and a solid cornerback.
Old 03-19-2006   #7
PokerStar
Veteran

Man this is a huge need, that is second only to a pass rusher. Tony Weaver is a one gap DT and at 290+ he should be moved there and we should part ways with Seth Payne. Next year draft a DT in round 2 to get Robaire ready to head out the door, and TJ will never be anything impressive the guy is a 250lb guy that is fattened up to 300+, unfortunately Bunkley did not come out last year. Anyway back to Corner. A second round pick on Jonathan Joseph would answer that problem for us. Buchanon is a solid nickel and I think McKenzie is better than Faggins. Hopefully Joseph falls and in the third we have a shot at Colledge(not likely) or another T prospect. I wish someone would post some tackle prospects that the Texans would be interested in. And then take Manning in the third also to play the FS position. I know most people see him as a CB, but he plays eerily similar to Bob Sanders except he is taller and probably can catch better. He also gives us a punt returner, if we do the smart thing and dont pick Bush.
Old 03-19-2006   #8
whiskeyrbl

I think we will target the secondary in rds 3-5 of the draft and quite possibly in FA,is Tank Williams still available?
Old 03-19-2006   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

To win in this league, you need 2 good starter and 1 solid backup corner. Besides DRob, we dont really have anything else. Only problem with drafting a CB is that they're not going to be ready for this year. DRob is the exception, not the rule. But yes we should really pick up atleast 1 CB on the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

first tony weaver isn't 290+lbs he's around 280lb which is perfect for the strongside DE...our pass rush is going to come from either babin or peek...a number two corner is high on what i think the team needs are...i think cedric griffith from UT would be a perfect match with dunta...i really do think that kubiak is gonna be ok with going into the season with cc brown at FS and earl at SS we might as well except it...linebacker is another need and also another thread
Old 03-19-2006   #11
PokerStar
Veteran

Sorry Keyfro, I should have clarified I want Weaver at 290. See this is what I dont understand we get a guy like Weaver for a decent bit of cash, but a guy like Rocky Benard who has more sacks and is only 5 to 10 lbs heavier we dont go after. Benard is just as solid against the run and he can actually get after the passer. Weaver is a one gap DT and it strange people dont realize it. I mean right now we are going to use Peek and Babin possibly a rookie and Pettway as our guys to get to the passer on 3rd down. Hmmmm, not really solid, plus wont most teams just do the smart thing and pass early forcing us to change things up and then we would have Weaver out of position. He played DE at ND I am pretty sure and he was a solid 34 DE, which means he is likely much more suited for the one or two gap DT in the 43. I think Ced Griffin would be a decent CB, but to me he just seems more like a FS also.
PokerStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really hoping that Ashton Youbouty will drop to the 1st pick of the 2nd round. I don't see it happening, but the NFL draft is still over a month away. We'll see how things fall into place.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #13
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansrock
Think that the Texans definetly need to improve the defensive secondary??? Nothing against Faggins he just didnt really impress much last year.
Show me a front seven that can't get to the quarterback, and you'll see four devensive backs that can't cover.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #14
DenverBorn
Veteran

I think the FO is probably hoping that Youboty or Cromartie will be available at 33. Or maybe CC believes that PBurnt will be better under a new coaching staff, although don't we still have the same DB coach as before?

The only defense that I'll give our DB's is that we had NO pass rush last year. None. There were many times we played in a 2-4-5 or even a 2-3-6 last year.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #15
RB5
Rookie

I can't figure out if we should draft a corner or safety or when to take either. :brickwall

I'm kinda for oline with the 33rd pick though.
RB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #16
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I say we draft 2 more cornerbacks dunta robinson sucks
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #17
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB5
I can't figure out if we should draft a corner or safety or when to take either. :brickwall

I'm kinda for oline with the 33rd pick though.
i agree about #33, if and only if winston, or mcneill are there. if they aren't I think we should trade down to middle of the second, get a extra 3rd rd. and take john scott. then with our 3 3rd rd. we take mlb,fs,g/c
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
I think the FO is probably hoping that Youboty or Cromartie will be available at 33. Or maybe CC believes that PBurnt will be better under a new coaching staff, although don't we still have the same DB coach as before?
The only defense that I'll give our DB's is that we had NO pass rush last year. None. There were many times we played in a 2-4-5 or even a 2-3-6 last year.

Yep , Jon Hoke is still the Texans DB coach .... and one of the better secondary coaches in the NFL ..... If Hoke couldnt get through to P-Burnt I dont think anyone can.
I think a lot of P-Burnts problems stem from his comparison to Dion Sanders early in his career .... He try's to make a lot of big plays instead of playing within the confines of the defense . He's not even in the same league as Sanders .... Top that off with his in-ability to tackle .... Not sure if he cant or wont ....
This is a contract year for P-Burnt though .....He's relatively cheap at $700k .... If he wants to stay in the league he'll get it together .

I like Faggins .... just not as the starter , I think he's a very good nickle corner . He played pretty good last season when forced to start , gave up a couple big plays but they were blown coverages between FS & CB.

As for the FS position .... CC.Brown is much better suited for the SS position . I'd like to see someone at the FS with better coverage skills .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Yep , Jon Hoke is still the Texans DB coach .... and one of the better secondary coaches in the NFL ..... If Hoke couldnt get through to P-Burnt I dont think anyone can.
I think a lot of P-Burnts problems stem from his comparison to Dion Sanders early in his career .... He try's to make a lot of big plays instead of playing within the confines of the defense . He's not even in the same league as Sanders .... Top that off with his in-ability to tackle .... Not sure if he cant or wont ....
This is a contract year for P-Burnt though .....He's relatively cheap at $700k .... If he wants to stay in the league he'll get it together .

I like Faggins .... just not as the starter , I think he's a very good nickle corner . He played pretty good last season when forced to start , gave up a couple big plays but they were blown coverages between FS & CB.

As for the FS position .... CC.Brown is much better suited for the SS position . I'd like to see someone at the FS with better coverage skills .
Another part of his problem came from the fact that you could have used a sundial to count the time opposing QB's had to throw. I say fix the pass rush first then seconday. No wrong ever came from too much pass rush.
Old 03-20-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion

No further comment is necessary. I second the motion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read