Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2006   #1
get a clue
Rookie

Default Why all the doom and gloom?

Why is it that most of the people here are already writing off this comming season? Before last season started a good amount of people here had the texans with 9-11 wins and fighting for a wild card spot. Now with that same squad, minus some weak links, and a few up grades- people here are already bashing the team. Why? I personally think with the new atmosphere created by brining in a new staff, should atlest bring some optimisim *typo* from both new/current players- and the Fans. How many times could we all call the plays from the stands with last years offense? This teams offense was so vanillia it wasnt even fun to watch them at all. I think a new staff will atlest mix things up, no more ultra conservative Dom ball. We have a electric return man in Mathis, a great WR in AJ- some new added pass rush in weaver, great corner with dunta, and Bush & DD in the back field. Give these guys a chance before we put them infront of the firing squad.... I for one wasnt going to renew my tickets after last season- but as 3/15 came around I put up my money- last season was hell- before last season everyone was on the bandwagon and going with the growth and building of the franchise - lets give these guys a chance and show some support!!!
get a clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #2
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the nature of Houston fans. Look at the Rockets fans.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp007
I think people still feel that Charley C is to blame and he is still calling the shots. I don't know but I beleive that alot of the choices made this offeason make sence and do not make sence. Look at it like this, we picked up a quality DE, and now it looks like a good prospect as a number 2 or 3 reciever. We picked up a full back, for some reason that I can not put a finger on, and a QB who has has never performed and could not beat out on of the worse QB is the league so you got me saying what the heck is going on. Who is making the call's. I just hope that Coach K ralizes this city is expecting a much better outing next year, and if they trade down on Reggie and Vince he sure as heck better get some very high quality compensation. I could not bear another season like our last one.
Well we need a backup QB and we got one in Sage. I don't know if he's better than Tony Banks, but I do believe he is better than Dave Ragone. I would still rather have more of a veteran. Wish we could have gotten Kitna or Frerotte.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #4
get a clue
Rookie

The FB signing from my understanding, is one that fits a offensive more geared towards one that Kub wants to run. He is a FB with a recieving threat out of the back field. Sage I dont know much about, I agree about Miami's weak position at QB last year, and here we are picking up there 3rd stringer. Who knows maybe they give him a look preseason then cut him? I dont have problems with people questioning moves, it just seams more than that.... I think Weaver was a great pick up, period- everyone here seems to over look that. Id rather not have lost Gaff, but he isnt really a 2, he seemed to be a serviceable 3, with not much upside. I dont think we move down at all now, Bush I see as a lock, if we really want a QB I think USC's ML would be the pick, not Young * his stock is high cause of the Rose game- he goes 7 at the highest*-- I guess this is what MB's are used for, but its sad to log on here and check things out, and EVERY thread is just bashing the TEXANS. Maybe its just a bunch of 15-17 year olds on spring break, with too much time on there hands.

Last edited by get a clue; 03-19-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2006   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really think Kitna would have really put alot of pressure on Carr. Look at what it has done for Harrington up in Detroit. It would have been awsome to see Carr finally have a backup that could compete for the job! Here is a scary thought, if Kubiak thinks Sage can compete with Carr, boy that really makes Carr's look like a waste of time. I laugh at the thought of it all. What a crazy off-season. I still wish they would suck it up and put forward some money on a vet o-lineman
Well Harrington is probably gone from Detroit. They signed both Kitna and Josh McCown. I don't think Sage is going to be competiting with Carr. Carr is going to be Kubiak's QB. No if's, and's, or but's.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #6
get a clue
Rookie

I dont agree, last year there were times he looked bad, that I will agree on. He hasnt had a line at all. Before that I saw plently of positives in his progress, this is his make or break year, lets see what he can do! What do you see wrong with his game?? When he has time he makes strong accurate throws, he seems to have strong leadership skills, he is a stand up guy and seems very "coachable". The one negative I do see in his game- he hardly ever moves in/out of the pocket and looks down field. He either runs out of bounds/gets sacked, or runs for a few yards. It never seems he scrambles to buy time to make a play downfield.
Old 03-19-2006   #7
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Sage is only here as a back-up for if/when DC gets injured. I jus' hope that DC has learnt to either run for his life, duck and weave, throw the ball away ASAP, even hail a taxi to get outta the way of the opposition D jus' so he doesn't get hurt and we need Sage to fill in...
Old 03-19-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Because Houston fans arent very good fans. Until we win the superbowl.. this kind of bunk will continue on these forums. And a couple years after our superbowl win..they will start up again.

Its sad.. but its what we have. Hopefully these "fans" wont let it get to the point that the Texans pick up and leave like the Oilers did... I wouldnt put money on it though.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #9
DenverBorn
Veteran

What does it mean to be a fan?

I've spent a LOT of money on tickets and I've been to every regular season home game the Texans have ever played. I am a "fan".

That being said, I reserve the right to be very critical of what the team has done, particularly CC. If anything, the fact that I spend as much as I do on tickets gives me this right to have an opinion and to express it here

I pull for the team and I always will but that doesn't mean blind acceptance of every move the team has ever made. I think we have more than enough data to conclude that CC is incompetent as a GM.

The FA period isn't over but as of now we're looking at Pitts/McKinney/Hogdon/Weigert/Wade. And that says 3-13 for 2006. "Better coaching" and the potential to draft a couple of O-linemen early (won't happen, btw) will not improve our OL in 2006. And it pisses me off. We knew last offseason that we needed to improve the OL and we didn't do it. Here we go again. I'm not a DC fan but I admit that we'll never know what he can do without some protection. More of the same in 2006
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Because Houston fans arent very good fans. Until we win the superbowl.. this kind of bunk will continue on these forums. And a couple years after our superbowl win..they will start up again.

Its sad.. but its what we have. Hopefully these "fans" wont let it get to the point that the Texans pick up and leave like the Oilers did... I wouldnt put money on it though.
That is a shame about Houston fans. Was it that way before the internet? Could it be the reporters, the owners, businesses that would like to see the NFL go belly up, etc.

Since you are on this Houston fans are not vey good it must be something that has bothered you for some time. Can you elaborate on it as I have never been a fan of a Houston team until the Texans.
Old 03-19-2006   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Harringtons stats up in Detroit have actually been much better than cars.
Much better? Carr has more yardage on almost 200 fewer passing attempts as well as the same number of 20+ passes and just 1 fewer 40+ passes. Despite being in a WCO, Harrington has never thrown over 60% completions while Carr has each of the last two years. Carr has almost a yard more per attempt and has had a higher QB rating every year. And while I am sure someone will try to attribute all 131 extra sacks to Carr, Carr has been sacked 208 times vs. 77 times.
Old 03-19-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

rather than reply to your post Denver... im just gonna point you towards my thread entiteld "A long post".

You can choose to read it or not.

I would like to point out that buying tickets and merchandise doesnt make you a good fan. Well...maybe to some people it does .. but if I go out and buy a jersey.. that doesnt mean I can come back and dog on the Texans because I "already did my duty as a fan".

Just doesnt make sense man. Thats like claiming you can beat your pet dog because you donate to the SPCA.
Old 03-19-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
That is a shame about Houston fans. Was it that way before the internet? Could it be the reporters, the owners, businesses that would like to see the NFL go belly up, etc.

Since you are on this Houston fans are not vey good it must be something that has bothered you for some time. Can you elaborate on it as I have never been a fan of a Houston team until the Texans.
Honestly I dont know. It could be the internet... I mean, with the Oilers.. the only way to really get a feel for the oilers fanbase as a whole..was to attend large get togethers. So I couldnt really say if they have ALWAYS been this way.. or if its something new.

But I cant think of any other fanbase that could be this negative and sarcastic after hiring a young Houston native as their head coach. Who just happens to have 3 superbowl rings and a great deal of experience. As well as hiring a very qualified and acclaimed Oline coach in Sherman.

It seems to me that we should have every reason to be excited and positive about next season.

But this hasnt really "bothered me for a long time". I knew that our fans back in the Oiler days were very "disillusioned" with the Oilers. I dont really blame them cause the owner was a fool, and they had broken their fan's hearts time and again. What bothers me though.. is that already people are falling into that "disillusionment" that they had before. After only 4 years.. with so much to still be positive about.. already people are finding the bad in everything we do. People have already decided that every move we make is cursed for one reason or another. Its depressing.

its a relatively new occurance in this fanbase though. For the last 4 years.. we have remained pretty positive in the offseason. Always we thought that we were on the verge of being a competitive team. Obviously there were some naysayers.. but it wasnt so prevalent as it is now. But, now that we really have a reason to think that things could be getting better pretty quickly, the fans have decided that all is lost. :brickwall
Old 03-19-2006   #14
DenverBorn
Veteran

Well I started on the long post and made it about two paragraphs. I'll save it for when I can't sleep sometime.

Boy I guess being a fan just means saying "whatever"? Are we not supposed to have any expectations? Just be happy with mediocrity? Hey Charlie, go get em? You suck, Charlie, but I don't care because you work for Houston?

I hope you have higher expectations in the rest of your life than you do for this team. Mr McNair must love fans like you because he then knows he can put a crappy team on the field and still sell out tickets and merchandise. Personally I have higher standards than that.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the reply Grid. You cannot take anyone dinging Kubiak as credible as his value is not visible to the fan until we see how he develops this team, units and players. What you may be feeling is some fans continued dislike of certain players and that Kubiak is guilty by association for rubber stamping an extension, acquisition or attrition. Just my two cents
Old 03-19-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by get a clue
I dont agree, last year there were times he looked bad, that I will agree on. He hasnt had a line at all.
This, I think, Is the reason for most of the doom and gloom. David Carr. I don't hide the fact that I support YKW....... in order to build my case, I've got to tear down DC.......... right or wrong.

It's the same with our OL...... the Carr supporters have to discredit the OL. They'll tell me, if Kubiak is good with Carr, then I should be. The same has to be extended to the OL. If Kubiak, who has put together & developed a very respectable OL that has performed at the top of the NFL year in and year out, we have to assume his expertise in that area makes him a pretty good judge of OL talent. Sure, our guys looked lost, but most of them played out of position. We have one opening on our line as of now........ Center...... I'm hoping it will be filled in FA, we can look at RT in the draft.

But as long as people keep pitting our OL against Carr, it's going to look bad for some fans.
Old 03-19-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
And while I am sure someone will try to attribute all 131 extra sacks to Carr, Carr has been sacked 208 times vs. 77 times.
I wish there was another stat we could use to quantify the quality of the OL. Joey has less sacks than Carr, but I don't believe that means his OL is better.
Old 03-19-2006   #18
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=DenverBorn]I've spent a LOT of money on tickets and I've been to every regular season home game the Texans have ever played. I am a "fan".

That being said, I reserve the right to be very critical of what the team has done, particularly CC. If anything, the fact that I spend as much as I do on tickets gives me this right to have an opinion and to express it here

I agree totally...except I firmly believe we should give this new regime a chance before we start knocking their every move - or lack thereof. I just finished reading in the Boston Globe that Kubiak gave Casserly a list of the FAs he wanted to bring to Houston which gave me the impression that CC was to follow orders and not go off in a Casserly direction.

I feel that Carr can turn his play around with the right coaching and people around him. He has the talent to be very good and he has the desire to improve which means a lot. I have faith that Kubiak, Sherman, et al can do that. If, after next season, nothing much has improved - then we can all start the team bashing thing.

The FAs we've gotten so far have potential - at least on paper- and we will just have to wait and see if the coaching can help them live up to this potential. No, they aren't big names - but look at Arizona. They got James, but he refuses to come to Arizona for the beginning workouts. That isn't a good thing at all! Would we rather have a big name who is just out for the money, or a young, up and coming guy who is hungry to make a big splash? I'll go for the young and hungry...with good coaching.

There are lots of people who base their decisions on past experiences and this board seems to have a plethora of those types. I'm for trying to base my Texan fan decisions on the past experiences of the new coaching staff - not the old one.

I think the naysayers are going to be pleasantly surprised with the Texans and am happy to see some positives written on this board.
Go Texans!!!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Im sure Mr. McNair does love fans like me . After all.. I dont resent him for his money, and talk about him behind his back like he is some blood sucking tyrant. Maybe if you had higher expectations for your life, you wouldnt be so angry at people with more money than you

Anyway. Im not going to retype what is in my other thread. Ill summarize a bit for ya though.

1. Yes, have expectations, but make sure that your expectations are good ones. If you EXPECT us to address the line in FA... well... thats not a very good expectation. That is taking YOUR idea of what YOU think is the right avenue for us to take, and making it seem as though that is the ONLY good way to fix our problems.

2. I understand that people are wary of CC. But with a new staff.. and being the worst team in the league last season... and the fans being so edgy.. do you really think that McNair, Reeves, Kubiak, Sherman, and the rest of our staff is not being very careful about what moves we make during the offseason? I understand if you dont trust Casserly... I DONT understand why you wouldnt trust all those other people. And if you trust them.. then you should be willing to give the Texans the benefit of the doubt this offseason.

3. Mr. McNair didnt pay 700 million dollars for this franchise so that he could peddle an inferior team on Houston. He wants this team to succeed..and has shown the willingness to do whatever it takes to get us to succeed. He is already set for life, financially... this team is not some "project" of his that he is using to see how much of a profit he can make.
Old 03-19-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I wish there was another stat we could use to quantify the quality of the OL. Joey has less sacks than Carr, but I don't believe that means his OL is better.
Seriously this isn't even close. Detroit doesn't have a good OL, but that isn't in the same league of suckiness as the train wreck that has been the Texans OL. Joey was sacked 17 times combined in his 1st two years in the league, Carr was sacked 91 times. There is no way IMO anyone can credibly put all that difference on the QB and schemes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read