Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I don't think the Texans plan on using Armstrong...

Lets see the writing on the wall here.

#1. He saw almost 0 playing time last year, even when AJ was hurt, behind Corey "stone hands" bradford

#2. The Texans have made no mention of him at all this offseason

#3. In the recent "catching on" article, the writers proclaim that AJ + Walters = one of the biggest receiving tandems in the NFL (are they saying he's our new #2?) and then goes on to say that adding Mathis into the mix gives us one of the youngest and most talented WR corps around. No where in the article is Armstrong even mentioned.

SO before people claim he's our new #3, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the team come next season.
Old 03-18-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I agree with you on the Texans probably not using Armstrong, who by the way I think can be a great WR, but I don't think he will be released.
Old 03-18-2006   #3
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Lets see the writing on the wall here.

#1. He saw almost 0 playing time last year, even when AJ was hurt, behind Corey "stone hands" bradford

#2. The Texans have made no mention of him at all this offseason

#3. In the recent "catching on" article, the writers proclaim that AJ + Walters = one of the biggest receiving tandems in the NFL (are they saying he's our new #2?) and then goes on to say that adding Mathis into the mix gives us one of the youngest and most talented WR corps around. No where in the article is Armstrong even mentioned.

SO before people claim he's our new #3, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the team come next season.
to add in reggie bush isn't going to help armstrong's playing time either
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If they didn't want him, they wouldn't have given him his RFA tender. They would have let him walk. He'll be used in Gaffney's slot role.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #5
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If they didn't want him, they wouldn't have given him his RFA tender. They would have let him walk. He'll be used in Gaffney's slot role.
reggie bush....not armstrong
if armstrong can get ahead of walters and we don't sign burleson, he could have a chance at being #2WR
Old 03-18-2006   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this signing has anything to do with Armstrong. After losing Gaffney and Bradford, I think our FO is just trying to find good players at that position and try to rebuild some depth. With this new coaching staff everybody is going to have to earn their spot in the lineup. Armstrong will have a chance to earn a spot as a starting reciever in training camp, he's just going to have to beat out some players to do it.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
I don't think this signing has anything to do with Armstrong. After losing Gaffney and Bradford, I think our FO is just trying to find good players at that position and try to rebuild some depth. With this new coaching staff everybody is going to have to earn their spot in the lineup. Armstrong will have a chance to earn a spot as a starting reciever in training camp, he's just going to have to beat out some players to do it.
This is an answer i like. Guys who fave shown flashes should have to earn playing time. Wish we would do this at other positions.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2006   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
reggie bush....not armstrong
if armstrong can get ahead of walters and we don't sign burleson, he could have a chance at being #2WR
Bush, if drafted will see some action at various positions on the field but he's not a full time slot receiver nor do you pay a guy 50 million to be one. He'll see more touches at RB than anything else.

Bush would be more effective running patterns out of the backfield anyway and lining him up in the slot would be more akin to a gadget than a base set.
Old 03-18-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think when Dominick is in the backfield Bush will be used as a WR.
Old 03-18-2006   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally hope Bush gets lined up on a safety or a linebacker and not a corner for the most part
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

---000---

Last edited by aj.; 03-18-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

I think when DD is on the field, Bush will be waiting his turn but....

After a few games, Bush will see more and more action, platooning for lack of a better word...

Then Bush will hit a couple of big ones and everyone will clamor for him and DD will be lost in the shuffle/

Then, after this season DD will be gone.

Bush isn't going to make his money at WR although they will use him there every once in a while.
Old 03-18-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

After a few games, Bush will see more and more action, platooning for lack of a better word...

Then Bush will hit a couple of big ones and everyone will clamor for him and DD will be lost in the shuffle/

Bush isn't going to make his money at WR.
I agree with that..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #14
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

Bush isn't going to make his money at WR.
you act as if there will be a guy in the slot on every play
you just edited it to every once in awhile
Old 03-18-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Then we should trade Davis while he still has value...
Old 03-18-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
you act as if there will be a guy in the slot on every play
you just edited it to every once in awhile
No, Kubiak's offense doesn't use a slot receiver on every play. Whatever gave you that idea? Some posters here seem to think Bush is a WR.

I edited a post to clarify my point. Gee, I guess you caught me. Call the message board police.

Actually I edited this one too. I do it a lot when I'm typing on this piece o' crap Toshiba, with the crazy keyboard that results in lost text, characters appearing in different locations in the paragraph for no apparent reason while I'm typing, and double posts which is what happened above --- while sitting outside in relative darkness watching A&M and LSU.

Last edited by aj.; 03-18-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2006   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I dont know man. I dont think we will really use him either but hes got some really good hands so I wish we would. I guess the pre-season will show the coaches what they need to see and we will find out from there.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Website
Walter, 6-3, 214, will join Andre Johnson (6-3, 219) to give the Texans one of the largest receiving tandems in the NFL. With Pro Bowler Jerome Mathis also in the mix, the Texans will have a young, but immensely talented, trio of wideouts.

Why don't they even mention Armstrong? I know he's older, but you'd think they'd at least mention him
Old 03-18-2006   #19
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
No, Kubiak's offense doesn't use a slot receiver on every play. Whatever gave you that idea? Some posters here seem to think Bush is a WR.

I edited a post to clarify my point. Gee, I guess you caught me. Call the message board police.

Actually I edited this one too. I do it a lot when I'm typing on this piece o' crap Toshiba, with the crazy keyboard that results in lost text, characters appearing in different locations in the paragraph for no apparent reason while I'm typing, and double posts which is what happened above --- while sitting outside in relative darkness watching A&M and LSU.
i got that idea when you said we wouldn't be paying bush 50mil to be a WR.
if he only played WR the few times we were in a slot formation then there would be no reason for you to say that stuff about him being WR and paying him 50mil. i said that bush would be taking gaffney's place as our slot WR, not that he'll be playing WR every play
Old 03-18-2006   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

maybe the reason they don't mention armstrong's name is because he's not good enough to be a number 2 receiver...guys is it that hard to believe that the kid was a stellar in practice but sucked once game-time came...maybe it has something to do with his work ethic...i mean as dumb as capers might have been he wouldn't have gone out the way he did if he thought armstrong had any talent...he would have put him out there...i don't know...i just don't think that the guy has given us any proof that he can be a quality receiver in the NFL

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read