Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default What does Carr have to Learn this Year!!

If we draft BUSH, he will have to learn how to hand off, fake the hand off, and execute the play action play effectively. That one player could have a hugh impact on how the other team plays us defensively. Bush changes everything the other team keys on. I'm saying BUSH is the draft pick at this point in time based on Carr being the QB. With the retention of Carr you have look at some one other than VY as our 1st draft pick. There are others like Davis and DBrick, as well. I would say the probablility of who is drafted is Bush, Davis, Dbrick in that order. While we have a big needs defensively I believe the signing of Weaver solidifies the BUSH pick.

Again, I'm stating this because Carr has been predominately a pocket passing QB who has not been particularly adept at faking and handing the ball off. That's why I was critical of the Caper's regime in the utilization of Carr and the running game. The difference is now you will have someone who can make both sides of the offensive game effective. However, Carr has a lot to learn concerning this aspect of the game.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

[quote=Ibar_Harry] I would say the probablility of who is drafted is Bush, Davis, Dbrick in that order. [quote]

I know who Bush and Dbrick are... but who's Davis?? havent heard of his name being thrown around draft talk yet.
Old 03-18-2006   #3
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

What I find funny is that all the announcers during the games this year say that Carr becomes more effective when he's outside the pocket. I disagree with that, because when I watched him at Fresno State, he was all pocket. So, I think that Carr is a pocket QB, he just needs a pocket.
Old 03-18-2006   #4
newbiefan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
I know who Bush and Dbrick are... but who's Davis?? havent heard of his name being thrown around draft talk yet.
Vernon Davis, freak tight end from maryland
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I believe the Davis Ibar is referring to is Vernon Davis the speed demon TE.

As for what Carr needs to learn I think the biggest and most obvious thing is to learn Kubiak's system inside & out. He's going to need to know, now more than ever, where his receivers are supposed to be since it looks as if we'll head into the season with a group with little to no experience in most cases. He'll most definately have to learn to trust his OLine, and to make the right read as quickly as he can. He's going to have to learn how to evade the rush by stepping up into the pocket (provided he has a pocket) instead of running right into DEs after the OTs push them around the edge. Most importantly though he needs to learn to better utilize the talent around him, and know that it's not all on his shoulders.

As far as his PA fake ability goes I think thats more of a gift than a learned skill. Sure Kubiak might be able to help him sell the fake a little more, but I think some guys are just born with it while others aren't. Chad Pennington can sell a fake, and Carr just doesn't seem to be able to sell it as well as Chad. Carr doesn't have to sell the play fake any better to still utilize a fake to Bush effectively. He can do what Plummer has had much success with in Denver, and that's the bootleg. It really doesn't require you to hide the ball very much, and you don't have to be excellent at selling the fake. The defense just flows to the RB, in this case Reggie, and it leaves the QB with a few seconds to find the open receiver and fire off a pass. A play like this requires a QB with atheletic ability, and that's something that both Plummer & Carr have in spades. You might see this type of play run 3 or 4 times max during a game, but it can be very effective if you establish your running game early on.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry

Again, I'm stating this because Carr has been predominately a pocket passing QB who has not been particularly adept at faking and handing the ball off. That's why I was critical of the Caper's regime in the utilization of Carr and the running game. The difference is now you will have someone who can make both sides of the offensive game effective. However, Carr has a lot to learn concerning this aspect of the game.
He's only had three years with a 1000 yard runner...... give him six or seven years, and I'm sure he'll be able to sell the PA.

Honestly........ seriously, there are only so many guys who(as QBs) really sell the PA........ Peyton is one of them. Other than those few, it's more about the RB... down & distance......... and the tendancies of the team. If you've got a team that runs on every first down, if they run PA on first down late in the fourth, chances are the D will bite.
Old 03-18-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he needs to throw off the "don't make a mistake" shackles from last year and force some balls. His intercepts will go up, but Dre should be able to make some big time catches. Armstrong and his great hands in traffic should contribute too.

There is a difficult balance to strike here. If he forces a few more balls there will be some more intercepts, but there should be more big plays, more first downs, a few less sacks.

There would be more excitment too.

Last edited by Runner; 03-18-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2006   #8
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Hahaha!!! Let me see... a middle of the pack defense. maybe ranked 13-16th on the league might make Carr look better.

STOP THE BUSH BS!!!! Mario Williams @ #1! Nufff said!
Concur.
Old 03-18-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Just like a good defense can help an offense, a good offense can help a defense.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #10
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Just like a good defense can help an offense, a good offense can help a defense.
Yeah, except the whole "score from anywhere" mentality associated with Reggie dosnt help the D. Big plays mean less rest and such. An 8 minute scoring drive is far more helpful then a 2 minute scoring drive. I realize that just scoring in general helps the whole team, Offnese and D, but the main reason we scored so little last season was 1.) crappy playcalling 2.)untimley sacks. Protect the QB, our offense will look much better which in turn will help the D. Get D'Brick!
Old 03-18-2006   #11
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Kubiak and I are on the same page...which is pretty cool. I've seen this mentioned before, and there are people that think that taking Carr over Peppers was a mistake. Well, as far as I'm concerned, that scenario has come back again. Do the Texans want to pass up a chance on a defensive freak of nature, or take a chance on a bolt of lightning. I like Bush, and I think he's a hell of a player. I just think that the Texans pick would be better served addressing a D that is creating a whole new identity, switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Williams could be the face of this D for a long time, and then become the face of the team.
Old 03-18-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'm not just talking about Reggie Bush. A good offense does help the defense because if they can effectively move the ball, the opposing offense will get worse field position. If they score more points, it forces the other team to pass more which means less consistent results.

Look at the Bengals this year, the Chiefs a few years ago, the Colts a few years ago, USC this year, the Rams during their Super Bowl years.

The defense helps the offense and the offense helps the defense.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I'm not just talking about Reggie Bush. A good offense does help the defense because if they can effectively move the ball, the opposing offense will get worse field position. If they score more points, it forces the other team to pass more which means less consistent results.

Look at the Bengals this year, the Chiefs a few years ago, the Colts a few years ago, USC this year, the Rams during their Super Bowl years.

The defense helps the offense and the offense helps the defense.
The Rams that won the SuperBowl(s) was a freak of nature.
David Carr's big arm, A.J.'s yards after the catch... Mathis' speed......

I can see the makings of a big play high powered offense. Can Armstroung be our Ricky Proehl??

that would be nice....
Old 03-18-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Read defenses, call audibles and learn how to play action. All things he most likely did at FSU and has not shown the ability to do so in the NFL with much success or frequency. If he can mix these qualities in with his supposed strengths of toughness and a good deep pass he could live up to his contract.
Old 03-18-2006   #15
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Read defenses, ...
So that he doesn't set another record for getting sacked next season. And in the event that it is inevitable that the sack is coming get rid of the ball instead of taking the loss.
Old 03-18-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Can Armstroung be our Ricky Proehl??
I like that comparison. Armstrong has great hands and is not the fastest guy but is reliable.
Old 03-18-2006   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

How to play QB at the NFL level.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #18
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Read defenses, call audibles and learn how to play action. All things he most likely did at FSU and has not shown the ability to do so in the NFL with much success or frequency. If he can mix these qualities in with his supposed strengths of toughness and a good deep pass he could live up to his contract.
Agree 100%.

How about "What David Carr must unlearn?"

Being scared in the pocket. Have you ever wondered why DC has not gotten badly hurt yet? Its because he tucks the ball too quickly and runs. DC has got to stand and deliver the ball to the hot route. While DC will not avoid a beating, it will cut down on the number of sacks.

Mind you, I don't blame him for being scared behind our line, but its time for him to mature as a quarterback.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read