Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Analysis of our upcoming opponents

Ouch, we have an insanely tough schedule this year:

Bills: Finished 2005 season at 5-11, lost Milloy, no real key signing yet. Prediction = win

Browns: Finished 2005 season 6-10, key signing include Bently, McGinest, Shaffer, Jurevicious, and Winslow jr. coming back. If we face them early, prediction is a loss, if late, prediction is a win.

Colts: Finished 2005 13-3, lost Edge, retained passing attack, prediction = 2 losses as we still can't stop their passing game

Jaguars: Finished 2005 12-4, lost Ayodele, but picked up some OL and DL help, along with another CB. Prediction = 1 loss, 1 win (just because we somehow always play them well)

Dolphins: Finished 2005 9-7, picked up Culpepper, prediction = loss

Eagles: Finished 2005 6-10, lost Owens, but picked up Howard and some replacement WRs. A high draft pick also, leads to another L for Houston

Titans: Finished 2005 4-12, but have had a very productive offseason so far. Prediction = 1 loss, 1 win

Redskins: Finished 2005 10-6, but acquired a lot of offensive help to go along with their great defense. Also hired even better coaches than before. Prediction - loss

Cowboys: Finished 2005 9-7, but signed TO. Prediction = loss

Patriots: Finished 2005 10-6, are losing some key pieces, but always make the best out of their team. Prediction = loss

Giants: Finished 2005 11-5, signed Will Demps, prediction = loss as we can't cover the elite TEs

Jets: Finished 2005 4-12, and are currently losing even more players. Prediction - win

Raiders: Finished 2005 4-12, released Collins and Woodson, have not made any key moves yet, most likely a win

As a result, it looks like this could be a bad year for the Texans. Playing NFC East is a curse, as all 4 of those teams are potential playoff teams now. I predict a depressing 6-10 record, but a significantly improved team from last year.
Old 03-18-2006   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

before the draft & injuries come into play, i'd say that that looks pretty accurate. having a poor season this upcoming year isnt going to hurt my feelings too much though because of the changes happening. an entirely new coaching staff on both sides, a west coast offense, and a 4-3 defense, along with cleaning out the old regime's personnel mistakes is going to take a little time ... add to it a difficult schedule and this season might not be pretty. what's exciting despite all that is the direction. our HC doesnt lose ... in his entire coaching career he has more rings than losing seasons. we brought in two of the biggest coaching names as advisors, and start this new regime with a core of adequate guys along with the first pick in one of the strongest drafts in years. we're going to be just fine.
Old 03-18-2006   #3
Dunta_23
All Pro

a 6-10 season would be great seeing that it is only 1 win away from our previous best...Anything over 5 wins would be an accomplishment this year...It takes a bit of time to rebuild a team
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #4
newbiefan
Rookie

I think that's a pretty fair assessment, although I hope your wrong and we do better. Besides, free agency isn't over and there's still the draft, so some of that may change.
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #5
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiefan
I think that's a pretty fair assessment, although I hope your wrong and we do better. Besides, free agency isn't over and there's still the draft, so some of that may change.
yeh thats pretty good
and there are still F.As but not verry good ones

the draft is our last hope
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I'd hate to say it, but that looks extremely accurate to what will happen this year.
Old 03-18-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Early on, as others have said, your predictions are reasonable. However, I want to see what we have after the draft, FA, and the start of TC. There are more than a few draftees that could have a big impact on this ball club.

We already have three potentially big play makers in Mathis, AJ and DROB. I have been critical of AJ, but he is capable of the big play. After the draft we probably will have at least one or two more. I think its too early to try to predict what this team is going to do.

Part of that stems from the believe that this ball club is terribly under developed. How this ball club is taught and brought along will be the determing factors as far as nex season goes.

For example, is Wand rejuvinated by someone who knows how to coach an offensive line? Don't laugh, because Boselli thought Wand had a lot of talent. Will we draft an LT? Will our O-line be injury free?

This ball club sits on a cusp and could go either way. I could see this ball club contending for a playoff spot and I could see us being the door mat of the league again. What happens between now and TC will begin to tell the story. A medicore bunch of players playing together can go a long way.

We have brought in a good set of coaches and that is going to have a big impact on what we see next year. Do not under estimate the value of top of the line coaches. Coaching, because of the cap, makes a big difference in the NFL. The same coaches are more often than not at the top when it comes to playoff time. GOOOOO TEXANS............
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2006   #8
DenverBorn
Veteran

If the developing consensus comes true, VY will be wearing number 10 in Oakland. Personally I think that changes your "most likely a win". Without debating all of your other conclusions, I see a 3-13 season coming. We have NOT improved the OL and I don't think any OL draft picks will have an immediate impact. So I think it's more of the same, if not worse, as our OL tries to learn Kubiak's blocking schemes.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #9
samomin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Cowboys: Finished 2005 9-7, but signed TO. Prediction = loss
This is one of the most important games this season for Kubiak and the new staff. The fans will not accept this loss easily. If this game is early in the season, then its a must win for the Texans IMO.
Old 03-18-2006   #10
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

When it comes to the Colts, I think that this upcoming season is the best chance for the Texans to beat them. The threat of a running game is gone because of Edge leaving, the Texans might have a better chance at stopping the pass.
Old 03-18-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

It's too early to predict anything. Every year there are predicted good teams that are bad and predicted bad teams that are good. Plus we haven't even had the draft yet or the June 1st cuts.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
If the developing consensus comes true, VY will be wearing number 10 in Oakland. Personally I think that changes your "most likely a win". Without debating all of your other conclusions, I see a 3-13 season coming. We have NOT improved the OL and I don't think any OL draft picks will have an immediate impact. So I think it's more of the same, if not worse, as our OL tries to learn Kubiak's blocking schemes.
VY probably wont play much his rookie season, certanly wont start. With that in mind, it is more likley we beat the Raiders because they wont get an immediate impact from their first round pick. Like it or not, Reggie will make and impact.
Old 03-18-2006   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

eventhough its waaaaay too early for this i like your analysis- its conservative but not overly so- alot depends on the draft. i agree with your 6-10 but i think that would be a decent season.

Quote:
When it comes to the Colts, I think that this upcoming season is the best chance for the Texans to beat them. The threat of a running game is gone because of Edge leaving, the Texans might have a better chance at stopping the pass.
dont make me laugh- yes edge is good but overrated. they have a good line and if they get maroney in the draft there wont be much of a fall-off. we wont beat the colts this year.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #14
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
dont make me laugh- yes edge is good but overrated. they have a good line and if they get maroney in the draft there wont be much of a fall-off. we wont beat the colts this year.
Where I agree that Edge is overrated, he was still enough of a force to help that team. I can't find the stats, but I think that the Colts have either a below .500 record when Edge doesn't play, or right at .500. Also, it's my personal opinion that the Colts will draft someone on D in this upcoming draft.
Old 03-18-2006   #15
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

A 5 or 6 win season isn't even remotely acceptable. Carr is in his 5th year... and we're gonna hang on to this guy hoping to be a .500 ball club in his 6th year. I think if we go forward with Carr, Davis, Johnson, and Bush, something will be rotten if we finish worse than 8-8... I can accept the offseason if that happens. Seriously, at some point QBs need to win games.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #16
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
A 5 or 6 win season isn't even remotely acceptable. Carr is in his 5th year... and we're gonna hang on to this guy hoping to be a .500 ball club in his 6th year. I think if we go forward with Carr, Davis, Johnson, and Bush, something will be rotten if we finish worse than 8-8... I can accept the offseason if that happens. Seriously, at some point QBs need to win games.
Wow. We have what could be an extremely difficult schedule, and we are coming off a 2-14 season. We're not going to the playoffs next year, and 8-8 might be pushing it. Improving 4 wins over this past season would be a big improvement. The quarterback wasn't the only problem with this team, everyone played poorly (minus Mathis). I think your expectations may be a little high for this next season.
Old 03-18-2006   #17
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Our schedule looks like it's probably one of the hardest of any team out there. Most of the teams we play had winning records and/or have greatly improved so far this offseason. I'm not saying I would be happy with a six win season, but it's better than two.
Old 03-18-2006   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can accept 5 or more wins (I think 6-10 is the number). I think it's possible to get to a .500 season, but not real likely given the schedule we will be playing. We will likely split our division this year (YES, the Dolts get beat!) and 1 perhaps two wins with the NFC teams (Iggls, Cowpies, Skins, Gmen).

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #19
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
Our schedule looks like it's probably one of the hardest of any team out there. Most of the teams we play had winning records and/or have greatly improved so far this offseason. I'm not saying I would be happy with a six win season, but it's better than two.
That type of logic kills me. At the end of the season, the only thing that matters is the record in parentheses next to the team name. We were 2-7 against non-playoff teams and didn't win a division game. Does that mean our record was worse than 2-14. Nope, we were 2-14.

And 6-10 or 5-11 isn't any better if you play Pittsburgh and Indy or SF and Arizona every week. Strength of schedule may matter in college football or basketball, but opinion polls don't count in the NFL and it's a minor tie-breaker. This is supposed to be the league of parity. No lipstick here.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

They should at least win 7 if anyone buys into the past staff being the reason for our losses. We are one year removed from seven wins and have a significant amount players who have played together for a number of years. Mix in our additions to date and some quality rookies and anything less than seven would be a dissapointment.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read