Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-17-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Can our draft situation be fixed?

Seems like everyone knows we're stuck with the #1 pick.
Seems like nobody else wants it.
They think we're taking Bush and apparently nobody wants Bush.
I find that odd, but there it is.
Casserly has said we'll be pleased to trade out of #1.
Where are the takers?
We need to get 6 picks or more on the 1st day.
All that means is two additional picks!
Raiders?
Can't see the Jets moving up.
Titans can get something they want without moving.
Gonna have to be something below #4.
Can we live with that?
I say yes.
So we should open discussions with the #5 to #9 teams.
We should also rethink our pick--Leinart is the most marketable, isn't he?
Is anybody likely to move up for Bush?
I don't see it happening.
The blush is off the Bush.
He's great, but he's not going to change the world for a team.
A top QB could change the world for a team, but not a RB.
So, what's our move?
And please, don't say take Bush.
Bush, without extra picks, does not begin to solve our problems.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #2
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

We pray that the jets want bush bad enough to trade up and get him.
Old 03-17-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

With the way free agency has panned out, I just can't see anyone giving up the farm to trade up to #1. The question is, if we stay at #1 what do we do? We have a chance to draft a stud RB, monster DE, or franchise LT. I can honestly say at this point I have no idea what I'd do.
Old 03-18-2006   #4
big homey
Veteran

During the season - We want Reggie Bush.
After the Rose Bowl - We want Vince Young.
Free Agency - We want to trade down.

After being in the trade down camp since we got the #1 pick, I now don't see any problem with just taking Bush. We lost Gaffney and Bradford to other teams, but there aren't any quality #2 WR's on the market or in the draft. We should land Putzier, but he's not really a threat at TE, just solid. Bush is in fact the weapon we need. He has the speed and receiving skills to at least warrant the defenses attention. I won't bestow upon him the same accolades that others have (Sayers, Sanders, Faulk), but he'll help us.

As far as the O-line, let's look at what we have right now:

LT - Pitts
LG - McKinney
C - Hodgdon
RG - Wiegert/Weary
RT - Wade/Wand

The left side should be somewhere around servicable to solid. Hodgdon is questionable, but if we land Flanagan or draft a C, we'll have some insurance at that spot. If the coaches think that Weary is developable (is that even a word?), then Wiegert should be servicable for a while as they coach Weary up. If Weary was resigned merely for depth, then we could address this spot in the third round and develop him behind Wiegert. There should be some good RT's at the top of the second round.
Old 03-18-2006   #5
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
We pray that the jets want bush bad enough to trade up and get him.
praying ain't gonna get it done. we need to be "proactive" and get it done. they aren't coming to the door, are they?
Old 03-18-2006   #6
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
With the way free agency has panned out, I just can't see anyone giving up the farm to trade up to #1. The question is, if we stay at #1 what do we do? We have a chance to draft a stud RB, monster DE, or franchise LT. I can honestly say at this point I have no idea what I'd do.
I think it's a problem if our attitude is really to get some team to "give up the farm" for the #1 pick. It isn't happening. If we were more reasonable, however, and gave as good a value as we got, then seems like it would be doable.
Old 03-18-2006   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

We stay put and draft R Bush or Mario Williams. Plain and simple.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, WE ARE NOT DRAFTING VY, got over it....
Old 03-18-2006   #8
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
We stay put and draft R Bush or Mario Williams. Plain and simple.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, WE ARE NOT DRAFTING VY, got over it....
Now if we did that I'd be more than happy before we resorted to taking Bush
Old 03-18-2006   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it might be the first time hawk, but i agree with everything you just said. the likelyhood of a team selling the farm to move up a few spots is very slim. hell the chargers didnt even get a deal that most around here are talking about for eli, who along with being the obvious first pick also came with a great pedigree. the chargers got the 4th pick, that years third, along with next years 1st & 5th. now look at them. they ended up with 4 starters (including rivers) from the first three rounds of 04, they got the following season's rookie of the year with the giants' pick, and still had an extra first rounder to pickup yet another starter. that's why they beat the 13-0 colts, while we've gone 0-8.

or they could've just stuck with eli & kaeding....

even for eli, in a weak draft, teams werent going to sell the farm. when the first 3 rounds are loaded and the top 10 could go any number of ways, noone's going to give us their next two years worth of picks for 1 guy ... especially at running back. what we need to do is go to the other teams and tell them this is what we're looking to do, as opposed to sitting on our thumbs waiting for something good to happen.
Old 03-18-2006   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
As far as the O-line, let's look at what we have right now:

LT - Pitts
LG - McKinney
C - Hodgdon
RG - Wiegert/Weary
RT - Wade/Wand
isnt that the same lineup that we used last season, who gave up the most sacks (again), while finishing 2-14? all you did was slide the worst center i know of over and made him into one of the worst guards, and replaced him with a 5th round rookie who played 3 games before a season ending injury. my head hurts.
Old 03-18-2006   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
And please, don't say take Bush.
Bush, without extra picks, does not begin to solve our problems.
bush does begin to solve some problems for us- hes a huge threat and will take pressure off others. and he will def. help more than if you're risky proposal backfires-if we get stuck with leinart, what the hell do we do then. alot of teams have settled their qb situations lately- i honestly cant think of 1 team that needs leinart and would 'sell the farm' for him- teams like dallas, cards,titans could want him as their starters are old but they dont need him-they already have decent vets. detroit looks to be happy with kitna and Mccown, raiders do need a qb but know 1 will fall to them.
thats why i say draft reggie, d'brick or mario- whichever WE WANT with #1 and dont be PRAYING some1 will come along and take him from us because
Quote:
praying ain't gonna get it done
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
isnt that the same lineup that we used last season, who gave up the most sacks (again), while finishing 2-14? all you did was slide the worst center i know of over and made him into one of the worst guards, and replaced him with a 5th round rookie who played 3 games before a season ending injury. my head hurts.
dont worry about it we will draft o-line in the draft that will start
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

The real trade discussions won't even occur until the week of the draft, and most trades aren't actually completed until draft day. We're still in March here. We've still got over a month before any sort of trade talks about the #1 pick begin to get serious.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #14
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
During the season - We want Reggie Bush.
After the Rose Bowl - We want Vince Young.
Free Agency - We want to trade down.
lol me
During the season - I want to trade down.
After the Rose Bowl - I want to trade down.
Free Agency - I want to trade down.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
The real trade discussions won't even occur until the week of the draft, and most trades aren't actually completed until draft day. We're still in March here. We've still got over a month before any sort of trade talks about the #1 pick begin to get serious.
Agreed. As much as any of us may or may not want to trade down, no trade is going to take place until at best a couple days before the draft, and even then I don't expect them to trade down because I think they'll either want Bush or Mario and I don't think they can expect to get either one after trading down. Anyways, as I said don't expect any trade to happen for another 5-6 weeks and don't expect to hear many concrete rumors as I'm sure they'll keep all that very quiet.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #16
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
lol me
During the season - I want to trade down.
After the Rose Bowl - I want to trade down.
Free Agency - I want to trade down.
ditto. flavor of the month players are always going to catch the majority though ... bush after fresno, vince after rose bowl (although i've been a fan of his despite being an aggie throughout the season ... man this kid's got potential), davis after combine, etc.

i'm about 95% sure that we're going to take bush, which i advocate against, but if/when we do i'm going to trust that it's not because of being "wowed". it's because the scouts broke down game tape to see the why & how of his play and how it would translate into the coaching staff.

edit: spelling

Last edited by Scooter; 03-18-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #17
Scooter
Funky

well, nfl.com reports that new orleans has signed michael bennett from the vikings ... our only trade bait remaining is mario and possibly d'brick. it doesnt look promising for the trade down camp unless our demands decrease, because we have almost no leverage inside the top 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Agreed. As much as any of us may or may not want to trade down, no trade is going to take place until at best a couple days before the draft, and even then I don't expect them to trade down because I think they'll either want Bush or Mario and I don't think they can expect to get either one after trading down. Anyways, as I said don't expect any trade to happen for another 5-6 weeks and don't expect to hear many concrete rumors as I'm sure they'll keep all that very quiet.
i know the draft is still a month away, but the point in the initial post (as i took it) is that we need to be proactive now in looking for trade partners as opposed to waiting until the last minute for a deal to fall into our lap. the likelyhood of a bidding war for the first pick is already extremely slim ... we'd have to create one and would need to do so sooner rather than later. that's ofcourse IF trading is the direction the staff is interested in.
Old 03-18-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with you scooter.. I will be suprised now if there is a trading partner for us, unless the Jets want Reggie Bush, Tennessee is looking sweet now, because they know N.O. is not drafting a QB (unless N.O. trades down)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I guess were stuck with reggie, oh darn I would still like to trade down but it's not like it's the end of the world.
Old 03-18-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
well, nfl.com reports that new orleans has signed michael bennett from the vikings ... our only trade bait remaining is mario and possibly d'brick. it doesnt look promising for the trade down camp unless our demands decrease, because we have almost no leverage inside the top 5.

i know the draft is still a month away, but the point in the initial post (as i took it) is that we need to be proactive now in looking for trade partners as opposed to waiting until the last minute for a deal to fall into our lap. the likelyhood of a bidding war for the first pick is already extremely slim ... we'd have to create one and would need to do so sooner rather than later. that's ofcourse IF trading is the direction the staff is interested in.
I understand the thinking that we need to be shopping the pick, but going out and actively throwing the pick on the trading block will make us seem a little more desperate and if anything teams won't offer as much to us. We are not going to convince a team to trade up to #1 unless we are getting screwed on the deal, they are either going to trade up under their own volition to draft Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart, or else they aren't going to. If anything we need to be hardballing the teams that are interested in trading up and getting a bigger offer for it. Teams are going to be convinced by the talent of Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart and their own intrinsic desire to draft one of them, and I'm sure there is quite high desire for one or both of them among many teams, but us waving the pick around and calling for bids isn't going to convince anyone to make us an offer.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read