Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft day starters?

I was listening to Charlie Palillo on 790, and he said that the Texans should at least get 3 starters with their 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd round picks. I agree with that as well. Whoever our first round pick is will undoubtedly be a starter. I don't know who we're targeting in the 2nd round but some of you seem to think it will be Nick Mangold. Some drafts have him going in the 1st round, but if not I think he will also be a starter. I don't know who's predicted to be available in the 3rd round, but with all the help we need, he should help.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am thinking 2 out of the 4 will be starters, but hey if we get 3 starters out of the 1st 4 picks I'd be happy with that...
Old 03-17-2006   #3
BrianC
Rookie

Well if we trade one of those 3rds for Burleson then yea id say 3 of the 4 picks would of gotten us starters.
BrianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

That would be nice to get a few starters from the draft. We've got a 5th and 6th rounder starting this year so we can get some later in the draft too.
Old 03-17-2006   #5
DenverBorn
Veteran

What do all of these players have in common?

Jason Babin
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru
Dave Ragone
Vernand Morency
Charles Hill
Seth Wand
Tony Hollings

All players drafted in the first three rounds by the Texans who are or were not "starters" at the end of 2005. And this is on a lousy team! And we still have the same guy making the draft picks!

If memory serves me correctly, the only starters drafted in the first three rounds are Carr, AJ, Dunta, Travis Johnson, Antwan Peek and Chester Pitts. And that's over FOUR drafts! With extra picks!

So what makes any of us think that this year will be any different? I agree we should get 3 or 4 starters this year. Many of the mock drafts I've studied have a lot of interesting players still on the board when we draft at 65/66. But I guarantee you that CC will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
What do all of these players have in common?

Jason Babin
Jabar Gaffney
Bennie Joppru
Dave Ragone
Vernand Morency
Charles Hill
Seth Wand
Tony Hollings

All players drafted in the first three rounds by the Texans who are or were not "starters" at the end of 2005. And this is on a lousy team! And we still have the same guy making the draft picks!

If memory serves me correctly, the only starters drafted in the first three rounds are Carr, AJ, Dunta, Travis Johnson, Antwan Peek and Chester Pitts. And that's over FOUR drafts! With extra picks!

So what makes any of us think that this year will be any different? I agree we should get 3 or 4 starters this year. Many of the mock drafts I've studied have a lot of interesting players still on the board when we draft at 65/66. But I guarantee you that CC will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Here's what I'm hoping for:

1st round: Reggie Bush. Will definately start, but split time with Domanick Davis.
2nd round: Ashton Youbouty (CB, Ohio St) He's from the Houston area (Klein, went to the same HS as him) and would definately be an improvement over PBuc and Faggins.

I don't know about anyone else past the first 2 rounds, but that right there would be a nice start, IMO.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Here's what I'm hoping for:

1st round: Reggie Bush. Will definately start, but split time with Domanick Davis.
2nd round: Ashton Youbouty (CB, Ohio St) He's from the Houston area (Klein, went to the same HS as him) and would definately be an improvement over PBuc and Faggins.

I don't know about anyone else past the first 2 rounds, but that right there would be a nice start, IMO.
Im hoping for Davin Joseph, G, out of Oklahoma. If we cut Weigert, RG is an even bigger need then it is now, should we get Joseph, we will be well on our way to improving the weakest part of the team, interior line. Im hoping we only have one third, meaning one was given for compensation to the VIkes for Nate Burelson. With the other third im hoping that either one of the prominent safties falls, such as Blue, or we can go LB with someone like Rocky McIntosh out of Miami who can play MLB, another big hole on this D.
Old 03-18-2006   #8
RB5
Rookie

I'd personally wait and draft KaMichael Hall next year out of Georgia Tech and Klein Forest. No Klein boys on this team.

j/k couldn't help it. I go to KF.
RB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #9
Mightymike
Veteran

1. bush RB, Slot
2. ko simpson FS
3. john scott RT
3. abdul hodge MLB
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006   #10
RB5
Rookie

Back on topic:

1)Bush RB, slot
2) Mangold, Eslinger C, McNeill T (if he drops, and he did on one mock draft I saw)
3)Safety, maybe Blue. Any other postion may not start. May not. Tough call for me.
RB5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read