Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2006   #1
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas
Default FA a FS Bust for the Texans

There was plenty of established really good free safeties in the FA at the beginning and now it looks like almost all of them are gone. Are we really gonna be able to find a good enough FS in the draft with a 3rd rd - 4th rd pick? I doubt it. Looks like our pass coverage may lack.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think kubiak is content of letting c. brown and earl have a year to play together to see if there is really a need at that position...both players are young and with time to develop might be two good quality safties for us
Old 03-17-2006   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

plus if we end this season only needing help at the safty position i think this team will be in great shape
Old 03-17-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

or we could grab Ko Simpson in the second.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #5
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
There was plenty of established really good free safeties in the FA at the beginning and now it looks like almost all of them are gone. Are we really gonna be able to find a good enough FS in the draft with a 3rd rd - 4th rd pick? I doubt it. Looks like our pass coverage may lack.
Not the biggest problem on the defense... considering we couldn't rush the passer, stop the run, et.
Old 03-17-2006   #6
BrianC
Rookie

Im fine w/ Earl and Brown next year but w/ that said theres still some free agents out there we could bring in to atleast compete at those positions.
BrianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #7
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo, the Marble Eye
Not the biggest problem on the defense... considering we couldn't rush the passer, stop the run, et.
Yeah I think Brown did an admirable job out there considering he was having to pick which of the two open recievers he needed to cover after opposing QB's having 10 seconds to get rid of the ball every snap.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
or we could grab Ko Simpson in the second.
I like the sound of that
Old 03-17-2006   #9
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Very rarely are free safeties drafted very high in the draft. 3rd - 4th round is just fine. Or we could grab a veteran like Lawyer Milloy or Tank Williams for a 1 or 2 year deal just to fill the hole. Only if they don't think current talent will suffice.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #10
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Maybe P-Buc can gain about 20 pounds and try to play FS.....he'd be able to dive at interceptions all day. Of course we would need a killer SS out there to do the tackling for 2 people.
Old 03-17-2006   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXwithanX
Of course we would need a killer SS out there to do the tackling for 2 people.
Old 03-17-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think CC Brown was that bad. We need a better 2nd cornerback than PBuc and Faggins though. Darn us for releasing Kenny Wright and Aaron Glenn.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #13
teamplaya
Rookie

i agree with you but I would take Tank Williams he is big and physical i think he could play the role of a guy of like Troy Ploumala of the Steelers and plus he is young enough to get better under coach Hoke and then C.C.and Glen can battle for the other postion i think that would allow us to pick a cb in the draft and still have decent group of guy playing in the secondary
teamplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #14
JAXwithanX
Veteran

I don't think Faggins is that bad either though....I mean....what we really need is for Buchanan to get committed.
Old 03-17-2006   #15
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Chris Hope ended up being paid more than he's worth by Tennessee.
Marlon McCree ended up being paid more than he's worth by San Diego.
Dexter Jackson isn't an improvement and went to Cincinnati.

The only other "decent" free agent FS available are Lance Schulters and Keion Carpenter. I'd rather see what comes available in the draft or keep Brown and Earl. There's always the possibility of a June 1 cut as well.

Most of the safeties available this offseason were SS and really didn't have the ball hawking skills to play FS. They were good run supporters, but I don't think either Brown or Earl have problems there.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #16
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:

I agree. Not a good idea having to depend on a rookie at that position. Oh well, they said they were not going to go out and sign big name players before FA started. They weren't BS'ing.
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #17
Rosusu
All Pro

Ko knows football!! I love the idea of getting him in the second round. He is a ball hawk and a great tackler.

Then again I am a bit biased, but our other DB from SC isnt too bad....
Old 03-17-2006   #18
DenverBorn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
Marlon McCree ended up being paid more than he's worth by San Diego.
Didn't this guy play for us? And was terrible?
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
I don't know about the terrible part but he did play with us, we released him last year.
Old 03-17-2006   #20
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
He wasn't bad, came up with a few big plays for us.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read