Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Workout Warriors"-Home page article

On the homepage

Quote:
Carr dropped back while the other players rotated running patterns and playing defensive back. The players have been meeting in the bubble for the past few weeks for around an hour at a time to build their fitness and gain some rhythm before the off-season gets into full swing.

I started working out about a week before Kubiak got hired, Carr said. Ive been in here ever since.

Typically, Carr arrives at the stadium at 6:45 a.m. to lift with strength and conditioning coach Dan Riley before he gets a few reps in with some of the receivers. He follows that routine four days a week, and then rests on Wednesday.

With the new coaching staff in place, Carr has a lot to look forward to. His job now is to make sure hes ready physically for whatever is asked of him.

Were all excited about getting back to work, Carr said. Weve seen the success (the coaches) have had in Denver and the success coach (Gary) Kubiak, coach (Mike) Sherman and coach (Troy) Calhoun have had with quarterbacks. All the guys are excited for me. So Im excited to go out and get going with it.

Nice to see.

Might be a little bit of a puff piece, but given all the anonymous trashing of Carr's work ethic that got a little out of hand during the Draft VY discussions, it is nice to see a little love sent these guys' way.

I really hope it ends up working well for Carr (and also for us fans, of course). It would be a nice story to see him succeed.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #2
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I hope all our receivers are working out with him. They need the work for sure.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #3
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

saw the article on the homepage and found it intersting to say the least. Texans Chic has a good point about the reference to Carrs work ethic...so far that doesnt seem to be a problem or an issue...getting to work at 0645 4 times a week for lifting, conditioning, and some practice in the bubble sure doesnt seem like a work ethic issue to me...good things could be ahead for us!
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I hope all our receivers are working out with him. They need the work for sure.
What do you mean all two of them, . He's going to need to practice with the practice squad and of course Mathis.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
saw the article on the homepage and found it intersting to say the least. Texans Chic has a good point about the reference to Carrs work ethic...so far that doesnt seem to be a problem or an issue...getting to work at 0645 4 times a week for lifting, conditioning, and some practice in the bubble sure doesnt seem like a work ethic issue to me...good things could be ahead for us!
Its nice and all, and I believe Carr is our guy and always have, but that is not that big a deal. Most HS football teams follow this kind of dedication during the offseason and summer. Most HS football teams are there at the same time, doing the same stuff, and then go through 3-a-days. Thats not even getting into the college offseason.

Carr is dedicated I guess, but the entire team is not there. In HS and college, it is REQUIRED you be there. If you miss a practice or are late because of family, its only 200 grassers. (I know)
Old 03-16-2006   #6
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Good job. I'm glad that Wong is getting better. Carr is going to be alright despite what some may think. GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Its nice and all, and I believe Carr is our guy and always have, but that is not that big a deal. Most HS football teams follow this kind of dedication during the offseason and summer. Most HS football teams are there at the same time, doing the same stuff, and then go through 3-a-days. Thats not even getting into the college offseason.

Carr is dedicated I guess, but the entire team is not there. In HS and college, it is REQUIRED you be there. If you miss a practice or are late because of family, its only 200 grassers. (I know)
It's a big deal when some around here have been bashing Carr for his work ethic. Maybe it's just me but reading that article towards the end I got kind of tingly being reminded we have Kubiak and Sherman here, I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming...
Old 03-16-2006   #8
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Most important thing I saw was Joppru running and catching. (as long as he doesn't get hurt again.....)
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp007
This is P.R. at its best. H-Town is p-off at this loosing season, and Carr knows that VY just won the National Title with his teammates. Our city is hungry for a winning team. Last year was an embarrassment and Carr knows that he is in the heat of the fire! Let me see, Babin has more sacks in the last two games of this year then his whole career. Maybe he just finally became healthy or maybe he knew he too was in this fire. It should be a great year, because allot of the pre-madonnas know then heat is on, and our city eats, breathes, and sleeps football. Loosing is not an option, and it we have to bring in a winner to take their spots I say go get em Charley C., but for crying out loud, commending a loosing QB for being in the bubble after a 2 win season is a joke.

So what, it is a puff piece.

There have been month and months of the guys in the newspapers obliquely suggesting that "some" believe that Carr has been babied and doesn't work hard enough. Anytime in the paper they make a non-referenced gossipy mention of "some think", it is a chickensheet way of trying to make a point with no real facts. And it got more gossipy after VY was talked about as a possible first pick.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I personally don't care for that sort of reporting. It puts the players in a bad spot because they can't really respond to it or prove it differently because it makes them sound whiney or defensive responding to unsourced, sideways sorts of insults tossed in their general direction.

So let the Texans puff away at will. I am a sucker for these sorts of articles--I know it is just PR but I like to hear the guys being excited about a new season. And dangit, if the Texans PR folk don't defend their players, who the heck will?

As a really random aside, the phrase "pre-madonna's" really cracks me up. Makes me think of next season and possible positive uplifting theme songs for different players (let's sing along shall we......)

David Carr: "Like a virgin, untouched for the very time......."

Chester Pitts: "You can turn this world around
And bring back all of those happy days
Put your troubles down
It's time to celebrate"

Dominick Davis: "I've got the moves baby, you got the motion
If we got together we'd be causing a commotion"

Reggie Bush: "Just like a prayer, I'll take you there
It's like a dream to me"

Andre Johnson: "You must be my Lucky Star
'Cause you make the darkness seem so far
And when I'm lost you'll be my guide
I just turn around and you're by my side"

Dunta Robinson: "Give me faith give me joy, my boy
I will always cherish you"

Jason Babin: "Gimme one more chance
Tell me that it's not too late
Let me win your love"

Phillip Buchanon: "Don't just stand there, let's get to it
Strike a pose, there's nothing to it. Vogue, vogue"

Gary Kubiak: "It's all brand new, I'm crazy for you
And you know it's true
I'm crazy, crazy for you"

OK, I think I just injured myself with that.
Old 03-16-2006   #10
2 CENTS
Rookie

Default CARR in my GARAGE

My CARR works out everyday that I drive it but it still doesn't KNOW HOW TO STUDY FILM. That is what he needs to do and he doesn't according to some talk show Hosts I heard last year. No DOUBT CARR has the TALLENT and Can Play but if he doesn't watch FILM he will never be able to STAY OFF HIS BUTT. Of Course most of that I BLAME on the COACHING STAFF because they didn't MAKE HIM WATCH FILM. Instead they let him go home and Play with his KIDS.
2 CENTS OUT
2 CENTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #11
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
On the homepage
Might be a little bit of a puff piece, but given all the anonymous trashing of Carr's work ethic that got a little out of hand during the Draft VY discussions, it is nice to see a little love sent these guys' way.
This is Carr. Good heavens.

“We’re all excited about getting back to work,” Carr said. “We’ve seen the success (the coaches) have had in Denver and the success coach (Gary) Kubiak, coach (Mike) Sherman and coach (Troy) Calhoun have had with quarterbacks. All the guys are excited for me."
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

Were all excited about getting back to work, Carr said. Weve seen the success (the coaches) have had in Denver and the success coach (Gary) Kubiak, coach (Mike) Sherman and coach (Troy) Calhoun have had with quarterbacks. All the guys are excited for me."

Do you know that they aren't? Or are you just speculating because you don't like him?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Default Hope is a thing with feathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

Were all excited about getting back to work, Carr said. Weve seen the success (the coaches) have had in Denver and the success coach (Gary) Kubiak, coach (Mike) Sherman and coach (Troy) Calhoun have had with quarterbacks. All the guys are excited for me."

Parse parse parse parse and parse. To get every word you say analyzed a million ways must be really weird.

You know what? I bet that is just an honest statement. I bet they are all excited that he will have some coaching from folks who have had a lot of QB success. Heck, I'm excited for him too.

Dude has an arm and was stuck throwing hitches all last season in an ultra-conservative training wheel offense that let folks tee off on him because they knew he wasn't throwing deep. Even if you aren't his biggest fan, you had to feel for him in that scheme.

Relatedly......

It is much better to go through life looking for the best in people than searching for the worst.
Old 03-17-2006   #14
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I read that and take it to mean that "All the guys are excited for me".....TO FINALLY START LEARNING HOW TO PLAY IN THE NFL AND PERHAPS LOOK LIKE A NFL STARTING QB.

considering his abysmal flop of a career so far I can well understand his teammates excitement at the prospect of Carr improving.

and TexansChick, thanks for the laughs. your song lyrics were hilarious.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
I read that and take it to mean that "All the guys are excited for me".....TO FINALLY START LEARNING HOW TO PLAY IN THE NFL AND PERHAPS LOOK LIKE A NFL STARTING QB.

considering his abysmal flop of a career so far I can well understand his teammates excitement at the prospect of Carr improving.

and TexansChick, thanks for the laughs. your song lyrics were hilarious.
Flop of career? The last 2 seasons, Carr has completed more than 60% of his passes and thrown for more TD's than INT's. Considering the horrible coaching/playcalling, lack of offensive weapons, and a non existent offensive line, doesn't really seem that bad to me. Out of the QB's in the NFL last season who played in all 16 games, only 7 completed more than 60% of their passes and threw for more TD's than INT's, Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady, Trent Green, Jake Plummer, and David Carr.
Old 03-17-2006   #16
SESupergenius

Where's Joe Texan and his "sources close to the team" on this one. I guess they failed to let him know that Carr does all of this IN THE OFF SEASON.
Old 03-17-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Flop of career? The last 2 seasons, Carr has completed more than 60% of his passes and thrown for more TD's than INT's. Considering the horrible coaching/playcalling, lack of offensive weapons, and a non existent offensive line, doesn't really seem that bad to me. Out of the QB's in the NFL last season who played in all 16 games, only 7 completed more than 60% of their passes and threw for more TD's than INT's, Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady, Trent Green, Jake Plummer, and David Carr.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Just when I think I'm about to gag hanging around this stale cauldron of negativity, along comes Texans_Chick with a breath of fresh air.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
So what, it is a puff piece.

There have been month and months of the guys in the newspapers obliquely suggesting that "some" believe that Carr has been babied and doesn't work hard enough. Anytime in the paper they make a non-referenced gossipy mention of "some think", it is a chickensheet way of trying to make a point with no real facts. And it got more gossipy after VY was talked about as a possible first pick.
2/3 posts later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 CENTS
My CARR works out everyday that I drive it but it still doesn't KNOW HOW TO STUDY FILM. That is what he needs to do and he doesn't according to some talk show Hosts I heard last year. No DOUBT CARR has the TALLENT and Can Play but if he doesn't watch FILM he will never be able to STAY OFF HIS BUTT. Of Course most of that I BLAME on the COACHING STAFF because they didn't MAKE HIM WATCH FILM. Instead they let him go home and Play with his KIDS.
2 CENTS OUT
you couldn't make this stuff up
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
2/3 posts later...

you couldn't make this stuff up
(I wish I could take a pair of pliers, and yank that fricken all-caps key out of that dude's keyboard)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read