Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2006   #1
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Too good to be true [From Boston Herald]

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=130754

The Pats can go one of two directions. They can keep Mike Vrabel inside and go after an edge player. San Francisco’s Julian Peterson is one of the few marquee names left on the market and could even represent an upgrade over Willie McGinest. Normally, the Pats would have little to do with him because he’s represented by notorious agent Carl Poston, but Poston has reportedly been suspended by the NFLPA, so maybe there’s a crack in the door. Then again, maybe not, because Peterson is going to command big dollars no matter who his agent is. LaVar Arrington is another big name, but the way he plays (soft, undisciplined) screams out the word: anti-Patriot. Other possibilities include Tommy Polley, who has 3-4 experience, and Houston restricted free agent Antwan Peek, a Pats target in the past.

Sounds to me like this guy either hasn't done his homework, or just really really likes Peek. Antwaan would cost the Pats their first round pick.

Lets see Peek for # 21 ... hmmm... let me think....
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #2
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=130754

The Pats can go one of two directions. They can keep Mike Vrabel inside and go after an edge player. San Francisco’s Julian Peterson is one of the few marquee names left on the market and could even represent an upgrade over Willie McGinest. Normally, the Pats would have little to do with him because he’s represented by notorious agent Carl Poston, but Poston has reportedly been suspended by the NFLPA, so maybe there’s a crack in the door. Then again, maybe not, because Peterson is going to command big dollars no matter who his agent is. LaVar Arrington is another big name, but the way he plays (soft, undisciplined) screams out the word: anti-Patriot. Other possibilities include Tommy Polley, who has 3-4 experience, and Houston restricted free agent Antwan Peek, a Pats target in the past.

Sounds to me like this guy either hasn't done his homework, or just really really likes Peek. Antwaan would cost the Pats their first round pick.

Lets see Peek for # 21 ... hmmm... let me think....
didn't peek already accept our offer
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #3
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
didn't peek already accept our offer
I saw the post about his interview on 610. I haven't seen anything official yet. Have you?
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #4
Mightymike
Veteran

nope i haven't. i just read it off the mb
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Accept what offer? Peek was given the mid-level tender garnering a first round pick from whoever offers him a contract he accepts. The Texans would then have a week to decide whether or not they want to match the contract or take the first round pick.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

My god no.

I don't think I could bear to see Antwan go. Plus, I spent some good $$ on a custom jersey as well.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #7
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I thought it was stated earlier that we retained peek after he accepted our offer....how old is this article from the boston herald??? Cant be too old since it has info on Poston being suspended....can someone confirm the peed situation??
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think we would take the 1st round pick. We could move Babin to DE and fill another hole with that pick. Maybe a MLB or RT
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I thought it was stated earlier that we retained peek after he accepted our offer....how old is this article from the boston herald??? Cant be too old since it has info on Poston being suspended....can someone confirm the peed situation??
Steele Blue explained it above. He was given a mid level tender. Other teams are free to negotiate with him, but if he signs and offer sheet the Texans have 7 days to either match the offer sheet and Peek remains a Texan or decline in which case they get the other team's 1st round draft pick.
Old 03-16-2006   #10
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 33 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

From nfl.com

In order to submit an offer sheet, a new club must have available the required choice or choices, defined as its own or better choices in the applicable rounds, in the 2006 NFL Draft. Offer sheets may be submitted to players in this category no later than 11:59 p.m., New York time, on April 21.

I think that means a team can make an offer until April 21 but we have the right to match it before anything happens. If we don't the team that signs him has to offer us compensation. I don't think we have actually signed Peek, just made the tender on him.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-restricted
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
can someone confirm the peed situation??
No, but I'm sure he changed pants.

I've been thinking and....I don't know what I would do. A first or a young up-and-comer? A first round pick can be valuable, especially when it can be used on Mangold, but they can be a big bust as well. Or maybe we owe New England for the Jeff Bagwell trade.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #12
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I spent some good $$ on a custom jersey as well.
That is about the sorriest excuse for refusing a first round pick I have ever heard. I feel your pain though... I had a similar experience with a Will Clark jersey once (it was a long time ago).
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

So we're looking at having 4 first round picks now? Ours, Denvers two, and now NE's?? What kind of cap hell are we running into?
Old 03-16-2006   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, It's obvious that he's my favorite player. There's no denying that. I just truly feel that he's something special that wasn't utilized properly by the previous coaching staff.

If you go back and watch game tape of the Titans/Texans home game in 04', you'll see that both of his blitzes/sacks where he just burst off the side (and eventually had to put two blockers on him) was when he was crouched down in a DE stance. So I'm excited to see him in his natural position...one where his main and only priority is to get to the quarterback.

So yeah, I don't want to lose him. And it doesn't stem from my jersey on him, it was used and said as sarcasm.
Old 03-16-2006   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

For a first round Pick Peek would be gone
Old 03-16-2006   #16
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
For a first round Pick Peek would be gone
I agree, but I just don't see it happening. At #17 in 2003, the Broncos managed to land DJ Williams, an immediate starter.

But do you trust Casserly to draft a quality player that late in the 1st round?
Old 03-16-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I agree, but I just don't see it happening. At #17 in 2003, the Broncos managed to land DJ Williams, an immediate starter.

But do you trust Casserly to draft a quality player that late in the 1st round?
he has yet to fail to draft a quality player in the first. All of his first picks are good. Before you say Babin, remember, it takes at least 3 years for a DE to go to OLB. Travis Johnson was not great, but being a 3-4 DL is tough for a rookie.

I would not do it. TEXANS84: When did you change your sig back to Peek?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #18
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

This would be very interesting. I think at 21, it would be very hard to refuse, but it all depends on how much faith we have in Babin. Also, we dont really have another DE should someone get hurt. Both options have positives and negatives, but if Kubes and Smith beleive Peek has what it takes to be a good NFL DE, I would stick with him.

PS- IF he has a break out year we are going to have to pay out the *** for him because he will be an UFA at Defensive End, one of the highest paid positions...ouch
Old 03-17-2006   #19
TexansR#1
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexansR#1 Send a message via Yahoo to TexansR#1
Default Patriots interested in Peek???

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

Also, the Boston Herald speculated on Thursday that the Patriots could rekindle interest in pursuing Texans restricted free agent Antwan Peek. Upon follow-up questioning of the paper by HoustonProFootball.com, however, the Patriots are not likely to give up the first round pick required to sign Peek to an offer sheet.

Hum..... I dont think the Patriots would really give us their first round pick for Peek. Would be nice though. Could use it on a Tight end or a Wr. Or better yet .. what could they trade us for Peek?
TexansR#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #20
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansR#1
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

Also, the Boston Herald speculated on Thursday that the Patriots could rekindle interest in pursuing Texans restricted free agent Antwan Peek. Upon follow-up questioning of the paper by HoustonProFootball.com, however, the Patriots are not likely to give up the first round pick required to sign Peek to an offer sheet.

Hum..... I dont think the Patriots would really give us their first round pick for Peek. Would be nice though. Could use it on a Tight end or a Wr. Or better yet .. what could they trade us for Peek?
How about a second or third round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read