Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2006   #1
Bongo59
Veteran

Default Why Givens bailed on Houston.........EGeorge?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If he hadn't seen the guy in the Eddie George jersey, David Givens might still be a New England Patriot. Such are the idiosyncrasies of free agency once your team decides to let you stray off the reservation.

Thirty-six hours into what would become an 84-hour whirlwind of travel, negotiations, meetings, physicals, family phone calls, and self-examination for both Givens and his Boston-based agent, Brad Blank, the Patriots' highly regarded wide receiver stood in an office at Reliant Stadium, the home of the Houston Texans, talking on the phone with Blank about an option neither had considered when free agency finally began at 12:01 a.m. Saturday. The Tennessee Titans were trying to talk their way into the equation, one that to this point included the Patriots, the Texans, and the Miami Dolphins. Those had been Givens's teams of choice from the start, but suddenly, unexpectedly, he had a desperate new suitor.

Blank was trying to persuade Givens to visit Nashville the next day while Givens was searching for reasons to give a hometown discount to his real hometown of Houston, where he'd grown up rooting for what ironically was now the Titans. As he pondered these options, The Jersey suddenly appeared. It was like an apparition, a voice in the wilderness calling to him from a Texas parking lot. Who can know about such things as these?

''The general manager [Charley Casserly] and the coaches had left me to use the phone in their offices and Brad started talking about how the Titans were interested," Givens recalled Tuesday night, only hours after signing a five-year, $24 million contract in Tennessee. ''I'm in the Texans' facility and he's telling me about the Titans and all of a sudden there's a guy outside the stadium at some sort of carnival and he's wearing Eddie George's jersey. There were about 2,000 people there and I didn't see any other jersey but that one on anybody. It was really strange. Very strange."

As Givens looked at the jersey of the Titans' former All-Pro running back, Blank told him how Tennessee general manager Floyd Reese had just made an offer well in excess of what either the Texans or the Patriots were putting on the table. While he explained the options already in play and others still unexplored with teams such as San Diego, San Francisco, and Carolina, Givens talked about omens.

''He was giving me all the reasons to sign in Houston," Blank recalled. ''He was talking about comfort level and playing in front of his family and the convenience of knowing his way around. He had good reasons for the way he was thinking and I had 23 million reasons for him to take a look at Nashville. At the time Houston was offering 17.5 [million dollars] so I said if they go north of $20 million we can fight about going but if they stay south of 20, it's a no-brainer.

'As I was talking he said, 'Brad, Brad. Somebody just walked by wearing an Eddie George jersey. Do you think it's a sign?' I told him I didn't know but we should take a look at Nashville. David agreed if [Houston] stayed south of 20 he'd get on the plane."

Less than 36 hours later, Givens was the Titans' No. 1 receiver, having rejected the lesser offers to go and play for his original hometown team, the team that was once the Houston Oilers but now played in a town he'd never visited and knew little about. That's how it goes in free agency sometimes once the winds begin to blow and the money begins to flow. It's a time where anything can happen. Anything but getting a good night's sleep.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #2
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Eddie George pushed the deal over the top .... and 4 or 5 million dollars didn't hurt ...
Old 03-16-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

When's Putzier coming?? I need to go stop my wife from burning my Carr Jersey.
Old 03-16-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The sooner the Texans start posting winning seasons and playoff appearances, the sooner Titans jerseys in Houston starts diminishing. It still amazes me that people are loyal to a team that never played in Houston and are based in a completely unrelated state. How many Kansas City Cheif fans are in Dallas these days?
Old 03-16-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's goofy too...... being that the fans more or less drove that team out of here.
Old 03-16-2006   #6
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

B.S. It wasn't the color of the jersey it was the color of the money.

And how much loyalty to the city of Houston does a guy have when he doesn't even know what the "some kind of carnival" is. It's the freaking Rodeo!
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #7
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I think it's goofy too...... being that the fans more or less drove that team out of here.
please expound on your "the fans drove that team out of here" take ...
Old 03-16-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quite frankly, I hated to see the Oilers leave....

to me it seemed like the general attitude, was oh well, don't let the door hit you.

Maybe drove is too strong, but I don't think the fans made his decision to leave any harder.
Old 03-16-2006   #9
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
B.S. It wasn't the color of the jersey it was the color of the money.

And how much loyalty to the city of Houston does a guy have when he doesn't even know what the "some kind of carnival" is. It's the freaking Rodeo!

AMEN!!! i thought the same thing.
Old 03-16-2006   #10
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

THANK YOU EGEORGE!!! Thank you for not allowing us to waste ridiculous money on an overrated WR! This guy is not even close to a #1 WR. He's a marginal #2 WR at best. Definietely not worth $24 million.

Free agent WRs are getting RIDICULOUS money this year. Randel El $31 million? Givens $24 million? Come on. Neither of these guys are any better than Antonio Bryant $15 million or Joe Jurivicous $12 million.

All about finding the right guy at the right price...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #11
Bongo59
Veteran

ok WR at the right price..................show me one your even close to talking with? I also think Given was a bargain compared to AJ who is getting paid sick cash for exactly what? AJ has no lived up to his slot at all...............at least Givens has exceeded his.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #12
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59
ok WR at the right price..................show me one your even close to talking with? I also think Given was a bargain compared to AJ who is getting paid sick cash for exactly what? AJ has no lived up to his slot at all...............at least Givens has exceeded his.
LOL, are you serious? Look at the offenses they played on. Please don't compare AJ to Givens again...

And WR for the right price you ask. I would have paid Antonio Bryant $15 for 4 years or whatever he signed for... He would have been a very nice complement to AJ on the other side. And he's still young too...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #13
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Umm who really cares? I guess hes never been out in the public because I've been to New England and seen more Cowboys jerseys than anything. I dotn see him there though? Looks like it was all about the $$
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Here is an interesting question: Why the hell was Givens' agent not with him?

Oh, and we should fire Casserly for allowing him to use his cell phone in his office!
Old 03-16-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I liked Givens but not for 20M+.

Oh well.
Old 03-16-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

No need for a player that bases his decision with this methodology, especially at the asking price which was the overriding factor.

Best of luck to the Titans and their #1 WR. They seem to be happy and by and large the Texan nation is happy for not signing him to that type of jack.
Old 03-16-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Here is an interesting question: Why the hell was Givens' agent not with him?

Oh, and we should fire Casserly for allowing him to use his cell phone in his office!

CC probably left the room, and closed the door, so he could have some privacy.

Probably went to go fiind the guy a cookie.

But you never know. That might have been Casserly walking around in that Geaorge jersey.
Old 03-16-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like this guy was going thru some kind of rationalization process
to help him in his denial about being mercenary. He'll grow out of that.
Hey, money talks. The Titans were willing to invest > money in him than we were. End of story.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #19
chuckm
Hall of Fame

am I ever glad he wasn't at a chinese restaurant when he came to this realization ... imagine losing him over a fortune cookie ....
Old 03-16-2006   #20
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 34 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we go to the stadium and board up Casserly's windows. He doesn't need the distraction of looking out the window anyway.
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read