Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70026 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Today's John McClain column in the Chronic

If John played back what he was saying about a month ago, his face would be redder then a beet.

Saints acquire Brees, shaking up NFL draft

Quote:
Before we analyze how Brees' decision will impact the second pick in the draft, we have to determine what the Texans are going to do with the first pick.

Although the Texans insist they still are involved in the evaluation process, it's looking more and more like it will be running back Reggie Bush, the Heisman Trophy winner from USC.

The more time coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun and assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman spend evaluating David Carr, the more they seem to be convinced that they can win with him. And win big.

No one in the organization is saying anything publicly, of course, because they want to protect their hand. But if they pass up Vince Young for Bush, you might consider a couple of things.

As a player and coach, Kubiak has been to six Super Bowls and has earned three rings. He was part of five Super Bowl teams on which John Elway was the quarterback. If Kubiak believes in Carr and doesn't think the Texans need to replace him with Young, it's hard to argue with him.

Sherman, of course, is coming off six seasons as Green Bay's head coach, and his quarterback was Brett Favre.

Elway and Favre.

We're not comparing Carr to Elway and Favre. We're just pointing out that Kubiak and Sherman have the credentials to make the kind of decision that should affect the direction the organization will take for years to come.

The top pick never has been a decision about Bush vs. Young. It's about Carr vs. Young. If Kubiak, Sherman and Calhoun not to mention owner Bob McNair and general manager Charley Casserly evaluate every piece of information and still come to the conclusion they can win a Super Bowl with Carr, they would be foolish to draft Young.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #2
bdiddy
Veteran

Imagine that a headline leading one to believe the article is about the signing of Drew Brees and the McClain goes on to spout off his Vince Young propoganda.

It is not Carr vs. Young. It is Carr+Bush vs. Young.
Old 03-15-2006   #3
KSig44
Veteran

People think that is is a Carr vs. Young decision, but we are the top pick. Wouldn't it be a Carr vs. Lienahrt decision?

I've said it before, if Young wans't from Houston and didn't go to UT, he would not evem be a consideration for the first pick. He has too many holes in his game compared to the NFL game to be number 1.
KSig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #4
TexasDiehard
Rookie

Default Yeah right

If you are right bdiddy, its carr + Bush vs Young only because the rest of the NFL would not give a top player or draft pick in trade for carr. Accordingly, carr is worthless on the NFL market and its back to Bush vs Young. Noone spends the top draft pick and $50MM on an undersized running back, especially one with no proven track record of running between the tackles. Running backs don't lead teams to championships and Bush is no leader. VY is a proven championship leader.

The truth is that no one but the Texans thinks that carr has big time NFL potential or they would be offering the Texans top draft picks for carr instead of offering huge money to QBs (Miami and New Orleans) with injury problems. carr is an overrated disaster and only the Texans can't see it and this franchise will suffer until they are forced to accept that reality. The problem is that VY will be leading someone else to championships long before then.
TexasDiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #5
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

45 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes ..... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-15-2006   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDiehard
Noone spends the top draft pick and $50MM on an undersized running back, especially one with no proven track record of running between the tackles.

I'm sure a Heisman Trophy is just a paper-weight.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Texans84 you know I am not a RB or VY supporter, but watching tape on both I am much more impressed than I once was.

VY has a high risk factor, but if he brings it together he is gonna be a really good QB. Look at Randall Cunningham and imagine him with a little more speed and not as strong an arm, but more charasmatic and you will have Vince. It will take him 2 years to really get the nuances of the NFL, but year 3 he should start coming into his own and by year 4 he will either be really solid or just athletic.

RB is a big time back. Can he handle 30 carries with half of them short yardage? No. Can he run up the middle? Yes. He runs up the middle more often than given credit for, he just breaks it outside as soon as he can. Not sure if his cutting style while going through the line will translate with the more athletic LBs he will face in the NFL, but his speed and track record says that is probably will. He will be a solid back, the more I watch him he reminds me of a cross between Clinton Portis and Dave Meggett. I know that is a broad spectrum but check out Meggett in his prime.

Cant blame John for wanting VY, it is a good story, but Carr is our guy and VY will not be coming here. Look for him to land with Arizona or Oakland.
Old 03-15-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Ahh yes...... the Heisman........ RBs who win the heisman command $40 million & the #1 pick......... Did Ricky Williams win something similar to the Heisman?? Because it couldn't have been the Heisman the way that turned out. It may have been converted to some kind of bong by now. Ron Dayne may be using his as a paperweight, because it ain't helping his pocket book none either.

Sides, I've always seen it as Carr Vs Young...... that dang Kubiak screwed that up for me. Sage Rosenfell(sp) humph....... but it's all good.

If San Diego had the #1 overall this year, no one would be talking about Reggie Bush going #1. If it were the Eagles, no one would be talking about VY. It's that simple. Last Year, Matt Lienart would've been the #1 pick, no questions asked.

Now all you folks, who think Lienart is rated above Vince, let me put it to you this way.

Who do you take with the #1 overall, Reggie Bush or Lendale White?? I haven't checked. Didn't even look, but I here their stats are comparable. TDs.. Rushing yards..... etc... but who do you think is more exciting to watch??

Who runs more like an NFL style Running Back?? Who's game is most unlike most NFL runningbacks?? Who is more exciting to watch??

Same thing with Vince. Statwise, they are a lot closer than most want to admit.......... passing the ball their senior season. But Vince Brings athleticism into the picture. Vince Brings a leadership quality that is very much desired in starting QBs......... most of them don't have it..... not even in the NFL.
Old 03-15-2006   #9
el toro
All Pro

As much as fans want an immediate impact they should be happy that the team has retained Carr and is apparently going to go with Bush in the draft.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot believe McClain wrote that...
Old 03-15-2006   #11
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Why even Young?

i still don't understand why some of the talk in the area hasn't focused on Matt Leinart. Although he may not be as athletic as Young, he has proven to be a leader, and very good pocket passer, and shown the ability to also lead his team to championships, two! (Although one is up for debate) I still believe this is a heart-felt decision in the great city of Houston, and that if any QB change needs to be made, go with a guy who has shown just as much and more of a NFL style QB. I personally think Carr can get the job done, and love the guy, therefore Bush would be my pick, but if your going tot make the switch, go for the consensus sure shot, rather than the great hope!
Old 03-15-2006   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Ahh yes...... the Heisman........ RBs who win the heisman command $40 million & the #1 pick......... Did Ricky Williams win something similar to the Heisman?? Because it couldn't have been the Heisman the way that turned out. It may have been converted to some kind of bong by now. Ron Dayne may be using his as a paperweight, because it ain't helping his pocket book none either.

Sides, I've always seen it as Carr Vs Young...... that dang Kubiak screwed that up for me. Sage Rosenfell(sp) humph....... but it's all good.

If San Diego had the #1 overall this year, no one would be talking about Reggie Bush going #1. If it were the Eagles, no one would be talking about VY. It's that simple. Last Year, Matt Lienart would've been the #1 pick, no questions asked.

Now all you folks, who think Lienart is rated above Vince, let me put it to you this way.

Who do you take with the #1 overall, Reggie Bush or Lendale White?? I haven't checked. Didn't even look, but I here their stats are comparable. TDs.. Rushing yards..... etc... but who do you think is more exciting to watch??

Who runs more like an NFL style Running Back?? Who's game is most unlike most NFL runningbacks?? Who is more exciting to watch??

Same thing with Vince. Statwise, they are a lot closer than most want to admit.......... passing the ball their senior season. But Vince Brings athleticism into the picture. Vince Brings a leadership quality that is very much desired in starting QBs......... most of them don't have it..... not even in the NFL.
This is a very good point, except for some major omissions. Barry Sanders showed that speedy, elusive runners who break the big runs can make it in the NFL, can even make it in the Hall of Fame. Randall Cuningham is the only running QB to ever get anywhere in the NFL. Sure Mark Brunell, John Elway and Brett Favre used their legs some, but none of the above mentioned rellied on their legs more then VY.

As much as there is a question mark as there is over RB, he is not the first of his kind to enter the NFL, especially with such a high draft pick and such a high risk.
Old 03-15-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
i still don't understand why some of the talk in the area hasn't focused on Matt Leinart. Although he may not be as athletic as Young, he has proven to be a leader, and very good pocket passer, and shown the ability to also lead his team to championships, two! (Although one is up for debate) I still believe this is a heart-felt decision in the great city of Houston, and that if any QB change needs to be made, go with a guy who has shown just as much and more of a NFL style QB. I personally think Carr can get the job done, and love the guy, therefore Bush would be my pick, but if your going tot make the switch, go for the consensus sure shot, rather than the great hope!
Main Reason N.O. isn't even interested in Vince, is because they just got rid of a stupid athletic QB that runs like a Deer.

In Houston, just the opposite.

Plus, if you're going to take a QB, you can't pass on the Talent hometown kid...... I mean you can, but I wouldn't. If Reggie McNeal were from Houston, and Vince were from McAllen Texas....... everything else the same, Lienart would get more play. But Vince would still hold the edge, because he doesn't look anything like David Carr.
Old 03-15-2006   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Is Young really the best QB in the draft? If you just read this board, you would think so. But look at the national media, Young is starting to drop behind Cutler. While I think that Young way better than Cutler. He just seems to be missing something that I can't put my finger on right now. He will mostly likely be a good pro, but I don't think he will live up to his hype.
Old 03-15-2006   #15
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDiehard
If you are right bdiddy, its carr + Bush vs Young only because the rest of the NFL would not give a top player or draft pick in trade for carr. Accordingly, carr is worthless on the NFL market and its back to Bush vs Young. Noone spends the top draft pick and $50MM on an undersized running back, especially one with no proven track record of running between the tackles. Running backs don't lead teams to championships and Bush is no leader. VY is a proven championship leader.

The truth is that no one but the Texans thinks that carr has big time NFL potential or they would be offering the Texans top draft picks for carr instead of offering huge money to QBs (Miami and New Orleans) with injury problems. carr is an overrated disaster and only the Texans can't see it and this franchise will suffer until they are forced to accept that reality. The problem is that VY will be leading someone else to championships long before then.
Boy where do you people come up with undersized RB.If he is undersized i would take my chances on him.Your comment provided me the will to do some searching,so i went to google and looked up the top 5 RB in NFL history. Well,well,well guess what i found out:

PLayer RD DRAFTED PICK HEIGHT WEIGHT
Emmit Smith 1 17 5'9 209
Walter Payton 1 4 5'10 200
Barry Sanders 1 3 5'8 200
Eric Dickerson 1 2 6'3 220
Tony Dorsett 1 2 5'11 192

Reggie Bush PROJECTED 1 1 FACT 6'0 200
Not bad company to have as being not big enough or worthy of the 1st pick overall.
Old 03-15-2006   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Also, to add to whiskey's post, that many of the press has indicated that the 6'0 listing for Bush is very generous. Many people have indicated he's more 5-11/10' size.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl

Emmit Smith 1 17 5'9 209

Not bad company to have as being not big enough or worthy of the 1st pick overall.
5'9" 210 lbs, is equal to 6'3" 220lbs. The only one really close to Reggie's size on that list is Tony Dorsett, who looked much bigger back then...... of course, I was much smaller.
Old 03-15-2006   #18
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Bloody hell...I thought this was a dead issue. I thought everyone on the board was in concurence that McLain was a moron?

VY is going to Tenn, not Houston. Lienart is the best QB in this years draft. If the Texans took Lienart over Carr, I would be less fighting for Carr, because it would be more understanding. Lienart is a great QB, certainly better than Carr ever was in college.
Old 03-15-2006   #19
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

from the combine

5'10"7

has anyone weighed or measured his heart lately?
Old 03-15-2006   #20
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
Boy where do you people come up with undersized RB.If he is undersized i would take my chances on him.Your comment provided me the will to do some searching,so i went to google and looked up the top 5 RB in NFL history. Well,well,well guess what i found out:

Emmit Smith 1 17 5'9 209

Correction.......Reggie Bush is 6'-0", 211lbs

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read