Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-15-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Trading--let's get serious.

Here's the deal, all the trades that people have suggested we'd want are ridiculously over valued in our direction. It's clear nobody's about to pull a Ditka to get Bush or any of the available QBs, or anyone else in this draft.

It's also clear that we need extra picks in this draft.

Therefore we have to get realistic and start actively looking for some trades that don't bank on taking the other team to the cleaners. We have no one over a barrel. So we have to look for staying pretty close to the top, maybe the first 10-15 picks, and getting at least two other 1st day picks, maybe with an additional first day pick next year.

Probably that draft value chart would not work out in our favor, but the picks certainly could.

Last edited by Nighthawk; 03-16-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #2
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Here's the deal, all the trades that people have suggested we'd want are ridiculously over valued in our direction. It's clear nobody's about to pull a Ditka to get Bush or any of the available QBs, or anyone else in this draft.

Therefore we have to get realistic and start actively looking for some trades that don't back on taking the other team to the cleaners. We have no one over a barrel. So we have to look for staying pretty close to the top, maybe the first 10-15 picks, and getting at least two other 1st day picks, maybe with an additional first day pick next year.

Probably that draft value chart would not work out in our favor, but the picks certainly could.

The only way I see us trading back now is somewhere between 7 and 15. I think it is getting close to time to change my avatar.
Old 03-15-2006   #3
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Therefore we have to get realistic and start actively looking for some trades that don't back on taking the other team to the cleaners. We have no one over a barrel. So we have to look for staying pretty close to the top, maybe the first 10-15 picks, and getting at least two other 1st day picks, maybe with an additional first day pick next year.

trading down has been made more difficult with the FA moves for QB's by others teams. The Saints are in a stronger position to trade down than we are.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

How about the #1 overall for Javon Walker and the #5 overall. My friend is a packers fan and he said he'd want to do it if he was the packers.
Old 03-15-2006   #5
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

How about trading the #1 in the second round to move down a few spots and getting a 2nd and another 3rd.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
How about the #1 overall for Javon Walker and the #5 overall. My friend is a packers fan and he said he'd want to do it if he was the packers.
Not worth it, if you add next year's 1st in there I'd consider it but Walker sustained a pretty severe injury last year so I'm not sure how well he'll come back from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
How about trading the #1 in the second round to move down a few spots and getting a 2nd and another 3rd.
This could possibly work, I'd be up for moving back 4-5 picks and adding another high 3rd rounder, but I don't know why a team would give up much to move up four picks.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #7
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian
trading down has been made more difficult with the FA moves for QB's by others teams. The Saints are in a stronger position to trade down than we are.
If the Saints are in a stronger position it's only because they are openly advertising for a trade now. Any trade that they make can be trumped by a trade with the Texans.

However, unless we come out and say we are trying to trade the pick, and that if we don't trade it we will likely take a QB, we have no leverage. And we must be WILLING to take Leinart at #1 and trade him after the fact if that becomes necessary.

The Texans are not playing the draft very well.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2006   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the Saints are in a stronger position it's only because they are openly advertising for a trade now. Any trade that they make can be trumped by a trade with the Texans.

However, unless we come out and say we are trying to trade the pick, and that if we don't trade it we will likely take a QB, we have no leverage. And we must be WILLING to take Leinart at #1 and trade him after the fact if that becomes necessary.

Charlie already told his fellow GMs at the combine that he is willing to entertain trade offers, He already did that song and dance. The problem is that at the time New Orleans was dead locked on grabbing a QB, now they signed one in FA and hold all the trade down cards, NOT US. Last year SF wanted BADLY to get out of the top spot and couldn't, sometimes the #1 pick is just untradable.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-16-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

It's still too early to say. As far as trading down to the mid first round, it just doesn't seem likely. There is not a lot in the way of an immediate "impact" player there, and I believe that is what our FO is looking for.

Besides, in any trade offer, the kicker is going to be, who is looking for a Reggie Bush or a big name QB this year? You have to analyze every team's needs or soon-to-be-needs based on player retirement scenarios. We had hoped to trade down a few spots: well, with most teams solidifying themselves through the FA at QB or RB already, that looks a lot less likely.

If we can trade down to the mid-first and get enough real estate to make it really worth our while, then we are trusting our talent evaluators to make the right picks, which history has indicated is not particularly a wise bet. We have had a lot of first-day lemons to this point in our franchise. And I don't want to trade away rights to Reggie Bush for another Jason Babin and Bennie Joppru.

As much as I hate to say it, it looks like we are going Bush, though I would still love to see us pick up Mario Williams. We won't know for a long time yet, but I just don't see a trade scenario breaking our way.
Old 03-16-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I've got a weekly Poker game I'd like you to sit in on.

The N.O. Ricky Williams deal didn't go down a month before the draft...... or before USCs Proday for that matter. At least wait till then, to see who's interested.
Old 03-16-2006   #11
whiskeyrbl

How about taking Denvers offfer of thier #22&#29 this year,Give them our 1st and 3rd for 2007 take the #29 and our #33 move up between #7-#15, then that will give us #1, 1 somewhere tween #7-#15,#22 ,#65,#66,#97,#129,#161,#193,and maybe package a pick or 2 together and p/u a player in a trade and a pick for next year. I don't know this may be a ludicrous idea,but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
Old 03-16-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
How about taking Denvers offfer of thier #22&#29 this year,Give them our 1st and 3rd for 2007 take the #29 and our #33 move up between #7-#15, then that will give us #1, 1 somewhere tween #7-#15,#22 ,#65,#66,#97,#129,#161,#193,and maybe package a pick or 2 together and p/u a player in a trade and a pick for next year. I don't know this may be a ludicrous idea,but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

two #1s this year, doesn't sound equal in value to a #1 and a #3 next year. Not to me...... But if Denver's in, I'm all for it.
Old 03-16-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl

Your right thunder it doesn't sound fair,i wonder if they would trade just the #22 pick to a team and the #29 to another. I'm sure they would so maybe change my scenario to just the #22.So if this were the case do we keep the #22,or package it with one of our 3 rd picks to move up a few spots or keep the #22.
Old 03-16-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:

The Texans have said they are willing to trade the pick and everyone knows we aren't taking a QB, a quick smokescreen by the FO now isn't going to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
Sounds like a lot of wheeling and dealing that will be difficult to orchestrate without screwing up somewhere. As I posted in another thread, if we are trying to make multiple trades we'd probably have to be ready to make the first move within the next week or two then have a couple weeks to put together the second move, and I don't think they are going to make that initial move that early. This scenario sounds nice and there are a lot of 1st round players I'd love to have this year (and will be trading for on Madden next year if I bother to buy the game), but it just sounds like to many pieces to bring together and I don't see it working out, plus I doubt the Broncos give up two 1sts this year for a future 1st and 3rd (remember current picks carry more value than future ones anyways, so that trade effectively gives them a 2nd and 4th round pick this year for two 1sts, I seriously doubt that happens).

Last edited by MorKnolle; 03-16-2006 at 08:49 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #15
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

All of these free agent moves just don't make our #1 position look that necessary, IMO. I don't see the Texans getting a worthwhile trade offer.
Old 03-16-2006   #16
outofhnd
All Pro

We are pretty much Bush'd this year... We have no alternatives thanks to Drew Brees.. I hope noone trades with NO and they are stuck at #2
Old 03-16-2006   #17
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Not worth it, if you add next year's 1st in there I'd consider it but Walker sustained a pretty severe injury last year so I'm not sure how well he'll come back from that.

This could possibly work, I'd be up for moving back 4-5 picks and adding another high 3rd rounder, but I don't know why a team would give up much to move up four picks.
Well there is alot of talent in the second rd. and alot of the guys our team would benefit from drafting would more than likely be in the middle of the second rd. our biggest need at the moment would be MLB. True you could take the best LB and convert him, but Jackson and Hodge are true MLB's and they would more than likely be in the middle to early second rd. Also there's Mercedes Lewis whose value dropped, but would still be a steal. Also some teams may want to move up to snatch the best talent that dropped out of the first rd. Don't get me wrong we could take that pick as well, but since we're talking about trades this would be the best rd. to do it in. If you trade in the 3rd rd. you don't really get much return and teams may not be willing to pay the price for a 1st rd. trade. There is just so much talent in the second in third rd. well those are just my 2 cents.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #18
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
two #1s this year, doesn't sound equal in value to a #1 and a #3 next year. Not to me...... But if Denver's in, I'm all for it.

Broncos don't have cap room for 1st round picks this year, so that's why its a good trade for them, getting 2 picks next year, especially from a team that had the #1 pick the year before
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

Like I have said before Don't assume anything till it is announced by Paul Tagliabue on April 29th...

Who says the Jets want a QB they may want Reggie and gamble with chad and ramsey at the QB. But if we are stuck with the #1 overall look for Bush to be our guy.
Old 03-16-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

All of the teams at the top of the draft (Jets included) have too many holes to give up the amount of picks that we want in order to give up #1 pick. The Jets had a bad OL last year and have an even worse one this year now that they got rid of Mawae and Fabini. If I had to guess I would say that the Jets are going to take the local guy D'Brick.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read