Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2006   #1
Wild.Bill
Rookie

Default Bennie Joppru

Has anyone heard how Joppru's rehab is coming along? I'm curious to see if he'll finally be able to get healthy for this season.
Wild.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #2
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

It has been very quiet. I understand it takes some time to recover from this type of injury, but he should be ready by training camp. I say if he doesn't look great, he should be cut before season begins.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I havent heard a thing in ages .....

I think they should plan to play the season Without Joppru period .... If he can contribute something to the team its a bonus ....I'd hate to start another season counting on him to get serious playing time and end up on the PuP again

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #4
barzilla
Veteran

I hate to say this but why not just cut him now? Yes, it won't save anything cap wise, but at least you go into the draft/rest of free agency knowing he won't be there. Now, we have this delusion that maybe he won't miss a FOURTH CONSECUTIVE season to a freak injury.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard his rehab has been successful; hopefully he won't reinjure his knee/groin/something else.
Old 03-14-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I forget the on air personality but one of our radio sportstalk guys was gushing about his size since he has seen him at the Texans weight room working out on a regular basis (this was a couple of weeks ago). I hope Joppru can make it back. It would be a great story but I won't hold my breath. I’m pulling for him. He didn’t rip his groin off his bone on purpose, and the knee injury was a freak injury.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it bother anybody that the Texans are paying the guy for three years of not playing or even remotely having any chance whatsoever of getting onto the playing field?

I know that bad things happen, and I'm not blaming Joppru. I'm moreso blaming Texans management for not giving the guy a buy-out or something to just move on.

Does anyone here SERIOUSLY think that after those devastating injuries...that he'll be able to play in a very physical NFL and not get re-injured in those hot spots within about a three-game span of time?

Shake your head at me. Flame me. Send me that nastily-worded private message that calls me a s.o.b. I am just tired of the story, and I'm wanting to move on before Houston Texans and Bennie Joppru become part of one of the weirdest sports trivia questions of all time: Which NFL team paid a draft pick for four straight years of zero playing time, only to cut the player afterwards?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2006   #8
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

This may be the only time I have ever said this...

I don't want a B.J.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"This may be the only time I have ever said this... I don't want a B.J." -- kcwilson

GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #10
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
I understand it takes some time to recover from this type of injury, but he should be ready by training camp.
Just in time for his annual season-ending injury.
Old 03-14-2006   #11
pskinny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I forget the on air personality but one of our radio sportstalk guys was gushing about his size since he has seen him at the Texans weight room working out on a regular basis (this was a couple of weeks ago). I hope Joppru can make it back. It would be a great story but I won't hold my breath. Iím pulling for him. He didnít rip his groin off his bone on purpose, and the knee injury was a freak injury.
I heard it too. It was McClain and Granado (I think) talking about it in the morning a couple of weeks ago. Both said he is a gym rat, and that he's gotten noticeably bigger since last year.

Don't give up on the guy yet. I'm sure he feels worse about his injuries than anybody else. He wants to play, no doubt. The question is whether he has the heart to do what it takes to make it back from the adversity he's faced the past three years.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #12
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Wasn't there some discussion a couple of months ago about Capers' practice philosophy contributing to the injuries of players? Perhaps we'll see less injuries this year.
Old 03-14-2006   #13
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

After the season was over, someone on 610 was saying that Joppru was down to like 205-210 LBS. Got a lot of bulk to add back.....

Watch him come back, and have his one break-out out year and the Texans sign him to a monster contract. Ha!
Old 03-14-2006   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand the frustration..I really holding a sliver of hope he makes it back. If he is re-injured I think it will be the end of the road for him and the Texans, make it or break it.
Old 03-14-2006   #15
Meisterman
Veteran

Maybe Barry Bonds can help Bennie Jop-Who bulk up and increase his head size
Old 03-14-2006   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just the opposite of you gpshafer. I'm wanting to know if the Texans and Joppru can make it four straight. I just don't think that's possible. If it does happen and Joppru makes it four straight years of season ending injuries then I know the answer to a great trivia question, Bennie got paid for four years of trying and rehab, and at this point the Texans aren't out anything more than they would be if they cut him two weeks ago.

Why not bring back Joppru for one more shot? The damage is done and the pick is long gone.
Old 03-14-2006   #17
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone remember when the injury happened last year, the idea of Joppru juicing was brought up?

Something to the effect that the injuries that he had sustained were areas that happen with use of steroids, and the fact that he had been so injury prone.

This was just a few opinions, I didn't read anything about this from any news source, so please, don't run wild with this as factual information. I was bringing it up so see if anyone remembered this being said.

Last edited by Texans Pride; 03-14-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #18
Wild.Bill
Rookie

You know Joppru was very good a Michigan. He was never injured and the Texans had a lot of hopes for him. His injuries have been freak, to say the least. I'm also in his corner and hope that he can make a come back. If he can play to his abilities, we'll have a very above average TE.
Wild.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #19
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

a few days ago i didnt have a good feeling about him, but today for some odd reason i think he'll make it, i feel that his string of bad luck injuries is over, well i hope so anyways.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #20
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Does it bother anybody that the Texans are paying the guy for three years of not playing or even remotely having any chance whatsoever of getting onto the playing field?

I know that bad things happen, and I'm not blaming Joppru. I'm moreso blaming Texans management for not giving the guy a buy-out or something to just move on.

Does anyone here SERIOUSLY think that after those devastating injuries...that he'll be able to play in a very physical NFL and not get re-injured in those hot spots within about a three-game span of time?

Shake your head at me. Flame me. Send me that nastily-worded private message that calls me a s.o.b. I am just tired of the story, and I'm wanting to move on before Houston Texans and Bennie Joppru become part of one of the weirdest sports trivia questions of all time: Which NFL team paid a draft pick for four straight years of zero playing time, only to cut the player afterwards?
Are you kidding? This is a board where it's ok for players to underperform their contract no matter what. It seems we are in the minority cause I totally agree with you. Joppru. Good guy, i'm sure great guy. But this is a results business.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read