Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-14-2006   #1
FSUBulldog
Rookie

Default Let's recap...

Miami and NO have new QBs...

For those of you who believe that we should trade out of the #1 pick, what does that leave NO doing with #2? I hear rumblings about them possibly wanting Super Mario badly enough to take him at #2. I doubt they would take Leinart with Brees pulling down $60M/6 yrs....
FSUBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

We're screwed.... No reason to jump ahead of Nawlins to get what you want.

You've got 5 players that would make any team better. We've done told everyone what we are going to do with our #1.... So if you don't want Bush(& it looks like we are the only ones who do) trade with N.O. and save your money.

Heck, you can trade with the Jets, and have a good shot at getting what you want.

Even if we surprise everyone, and take someone else with the #1...... D'Brick, Mario........ someone is still going to be pleasantly surprised, with RB falling in their laps. If we don't take RB, I'd expect a lot of people running to the N.O. Table.
Old 03-14-2006   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting point. Do the Titans still take Vince Young? Or do they take Leinart?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #4
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
So if you don't want Bush(& it looks like we are the only ones who do) trade with N.O. and save your money.
I would say what I really feel about this statement but I might get my hand slapped .... ah heck .... this is one of the most short-sighted, narrow-minded, (you fill in the adjective) statements I've seen on here in a while .... carry on
Old 03-14-2006   #5
Dunta_23
All Pro

The chances of trading down now are not very good...as the Saints picked up the Qb they want and are looking to trade out of # 2

Saints | Shopping the No. 2 pick
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:09:11 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the New Orleans Saints are now trying to trade the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft because they no longer are in need of selecting a quarterback.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams know that they can most likely move up to # 2 and get any QB they want...so unless a team wants to break the bank for Reggie I doubt we will move....so now we probably just have to take our BPA or risk trading down too far out of the true "top tier talent"...

If the Saints stay at 2 the target almost has to be D'Brick...they have 2 solid young DE's

The Titans will most likely choose Lienart in the scenario if he hasnt been snagged through a trade or will take the next best QB or Brick if still there...

Jets are in a prime position as most likely 1 of the top QB's, Mario, maybe D'Brick , AJ Hawk will all be here...at this point they may be able to slide down a few spots with a team suprised a certain player fell etc.

We are now in an unenviable situation with the top pick possibly losing value as each team gets a QB
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #6
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
We are now in an unenviable situation with the top pick possibly losing value as each team gets a QB
You're right, if we want to trade down we are certainly losing value in our trade. This should make our decision easier - Bush will be drafted like we originally hoped for back in week 12...
Old 03-14-2006   #7
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 10 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic
Interesting point. Do the Titans still take Vince Young? Or do they take Leinart?
The Titans will take Matt Leinart because of Norm Chow, and Leinart's stability, Vince Young goes to the J-E-T-S Jets! Or His Stock falls..

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
WiiBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2006   #8
el toro
All Pro

Perhaps the Jets go against conventional wisdom and make a push for Bush? It's NY, fans always want to see their teams make a move and land the big name. Martin isn't a young pup anymore. At #4 the Texans can take Ferguson plus get some other assets from the Jets.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #9
FSUBulldog
Rookie

I agree that the Jets are probably in the most advantageous position at this point. They would be in an even better situation if the Saints ended up keeping the pick so they can pick up Cutler or Leinart or any other number of players to meet their needs...
FSUBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #10
SESupergenius

Yea, the signing of Brees and the trade of Culpepper sure makes it hard for us to trade down. Of course The Vikings would still be looking for a QB, and they have an extra pick.
Old 03-14-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
I would say what I really feel about this statement but I might get my hand slapped .... ah heck .... this is one of the most short-sighted, narrow-minded, (you fill in the adjective) statements I've seen on here in a while .... carry on

I'm saying the same thing everyone else in this thread has said. and what the media has been saying for weeks. No one wants to pay the high price we are asking... we'll have to back down on our asking price, we will more than likely loose value.. Or stick with the #1 pick, and take Reggie..... who no one else is willing to pay the price for.
Old 03-14-2006   #12
whiskeyrbl

Question

Why dont we trade out with NO #1 for #2,#64,hell they made quite a few moves they may give up their 3rd rd pick .
Old 03-14-2006   #13
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I'm saying the same thing everyone else in this thread has said. and what the media has been saying for weeks. No one wants to pay the high price we are asking... we'll have to back down on our asking price, we will more than likely loose value.. Or stick with the #1 pick, and take Reggie..... who no one else is willing to pay the price for.

ooooooh I see ..... since no team seems willing to pay the king's ransom to move up to #1 and take Bush, they obviously don't want him ...
Old 03-14-2006   #14
el toro
All Pro

Perhaps the obvious decision is the correct one? You don't need the #1 pick to revamp your Oline. Other moves are being made toward that end in free agency and perhaps in the later draft rounds. You add Bush to a team that already has a 1000+ yards a season back in Davis. You upgrade your receiving corps. You add a better center in Flanagan and tight end in Putzier. Cook gives you a FB who can catch and block. At the moment, I like what I'm seeing. At least we have a coach now who knows how to create and run a proficient offense.
Old 03-14-2006   #15
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
Perhaps the obvious decision is the correct one? You don't need the #1 pick to revamp your Oline. Other moves are being made toward that end in free agency and perhaps in the later draft rounds. You add Bush to a team that already has a 1000+ yards a season back in Davis. You upgrade your receiving corps. You add a better center in Flanagan and tight end in Putzier. Cook gives you a FB who can catch and block. At the moment, I like what I'm seeing. At least we have a coach now who knows how to create and run a proficient offense.
I like the moves. And with the short window for a head coach to show what he can do and succeed, you frankly have to win now, no one has time to rebuild. You need impact players. You either draft Bush or get Mario Williams in my opinion. Also push for Nate Clements and or Chris Hope in free agency, although they might be alittle too pricy for us. If Miami can go 9-7 with the kias they were faced with a year earlier, with simply adding a quality running back while Having Ricky Williams and a adding a new coaching staff, why can't we?
Old 03-14-2006   #16
Trenches
Veteran

except we have done nothing to change the pityful line we had last year. only a new coach and more for these dolts to learn. we still have no #2 receiver (never have). and that is just on offense.

this defense is a mess. people are thinking Babin and Peek are the answer? and our linebackers? what a joke.

this team needs a LOT of talent and will take at least 3 years of great drafting and good FA signings to repair.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #17
el toro
All Pro

There's no reason why the process has to be completed this offseason. Sure, you want to see significant improvement. I know I do. But there has to be a little patience. I'd argue that the significant improvement has already been made with the coaching change. If Carr has more than half a second to make a decision and he's got two stud RBs in the backfield plus a solid TE and a good receiving corps to throw the ball to, then we'll have the makings of an above average offense.
Old 03-14-2006   #18
el toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches
except we have done nothing to change the pityful line we had last year. only a new coach and more for these dolts to learn. we still have no #2 receiver (never have). and that is just on offense.

this defense is a mess. people are thinking Babin and Peek are the answer? and our linebackers? what a joke.

this team needs a LOT of talent and will take at least 3 years of great drafting and good FA signings to repair.

They are in the process of addressing the line. Free agency has just begun and there's still the draft this year. Winners aren't built overnight. Patience.
Old 03-14-2006   #19
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
They are in the process of addressing the line. Free agency has just begun and there's still the draft this year. Winners aren't built overnight. Patience.
I guess my problem is that we have the same problems for the last 3 years. you would think it woudl be priority #1 for a new staff to come in and fix those problems. Reggie Bush means nothing when our defense cant stop anybody and our line (and QB) are pityful.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #20
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
Why dont we trade out with NO #1 for #2,#64,hell they made quite a few moves they may give up their 3rd rd pick .
We already have their 3rd round pick
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read