Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2006   #1
seasontix
Rookie

Default Texans @ Cowboys-Two Part Question

First question-- When do you think they will play?

The Texans will be playing against their intra-state rivals at Cowboy stadium this coming season, the date is TBD. I would venture to say that Jerry Jones will be lobbying for a Thanksgiving day showdown or the late game of week one.

The thanksgiving day slot is held by the Boys year in and year out so its only a question of who-not if they will play that day. As far as the late game of week one. The boys are also known to lock in several prime time slots every year so again its only a question of who they will play. Having the late game of week one is another good slot to get.

Second question--Should the NFL rotate the Thanksgiving day slot as opposed to always giving it to the Boys?

Yes-the NLF has let the Boys and Lions keep the slot because they were the first to test the waters (so to speak) by being the first teams ever to play on Thanksgiving day and it proved to be a success. It was then turned into a tradition to have them play on Turkey Day.

However, their is more to the picture than just playing on that day and it is called-revenue sharing. The Turkey day game is a money maker that is why you will not ever hear Jerry offering to share it.
seasontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

the thankgiving day games are usually 1's that would attract alot of people- the falcons and broncos were playing last year. granted denver aren't that big name. i think if we draft reggie- the chances of a prime-time game for us will go up alot. i think the thanksgiving games should have an option of being changed if 1 of the teams is doing badly- really who wanted to watch the lions last year
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #3
whiskeyrbl

1. I think it will be either the Cowboys home opener,or the Thanksgiving game.McNair and Jones seem to have that persona of wanting to build up the Rivalry. But coming off a 2-14 it will probably be the home opener to see the new look Texans,just in case we are 1-9 at Thanksgiving.

2. Yes i think the games should be rotated.
Old 03-14-2006   #4
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think they would want us as soon as possible. 2 - 3 games in would give them a look at the new offense, plus it would not be enough time for us to really pick up any steam. I think they will do it soon to avenge the loss they had.

That's what I would do.
Old 03-14-2006   #5
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the Texans don't play them on Thanksgiving day because I plan on going to the game. No way I can go on Thanksgiving day. That would go over like a fart in church with my wife.

As far as the Cowboys and Lions rotating it isn't going to happen. They signed long term contracts for those games when nobody else wanted them. I do believe the NFL is adding a night game on turkey day that will be rotated though so all hope is not lost.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontix
First question-- When do you think they will play?

Second question--Should the NFL rotate the Thanksgiving day slot as opposed to always giving it to the Boys?
They can't be on CBS this Thanksgiving, because CBS will have the Lions game. I'd like to see the Texans and Cowboys play a Sunday Night game, again.

I think the NFL should keep the Lions & Cowboys on Thanksgiving, but add a night game that featured AFC teams on a rotating basis.
Old 03-14-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think the Cowboys & Detroit should keep their Turkey day games. NO body else wanted them, and now that the Boys, and Barry Sanders have made those games as big as any, I don' think it's right to take them away. What we need to do, is look at other possibilities.... an independance day game(BattleRed, white and Blue day), a Labor Day game, , a DEC 7th game... etc....

If I were the Cowboys, I'd want the game to be late in the season, so they can build momentum going into the post season.

I don't think they are going to win, but... if I were the Cowboys, I'd plan on it.
Old 03-14-2006   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as I've ever known teams don't decide when they will play an opponent; the league determines the schedules. That's always been what I thought.

The Cowboys aren't giving up the Thanksgiving games. Tex Schramm took those games when nobody else wanted them and in a brilliant marketing move it's worked in their favor. Smart move by Tex.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #9
seasontix
Rookie

I see your POV and after rethinking it I agree that the two teams that made it a success should not be left out.

I also like the idea of selecting another holiday (July 4th-maybe) as a year-in year-out bowl game similar to the Thanksgiving Day game.

But the question is which team(s) would volunteer to be the first to be in it and if its another success they would also want rights to that slot leaving other teams out in the cold.

By same token one can say that all teams would probably want to be on it and how would you go about awarding that slot?

Here is what I propose-

Use a battle tested holiday game-that being the Turkey day game.

To make certain that the boys and Lions are not left out. Guarantee them a slot-but every other year. So every year either Dallas or Detroit will host one game and other teams would host a Thanksgiving Day Game on a rotation basis.

Marketing the NFL on an all-team inclusive basis should be on every owners agenda. Why-because it will generate unprecedented attention to your team.

Imagine The Texans hosting a Thanksgiving Day game that would light up any teams home town knowing that their team/town will be on a nationally recognized NFL bowl game. Not to mention the economic impact it will have on their local economy. Although it will not compare to the SuperBowl-its the next best thing to hosting one. Needless to say that it would also create an incredible demand for season tickets knowing that your team will be hosting a Thanksgiving Day game.

Yes either the boys or Lions will lose a Turkey day game every year but it would help promote the game nationwide and that should take priority.
Old 03-14-2006   #10
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Wait a minute-------
With the new tv deal w/NBC Sunday Night Football, the NFL and NBC can move a scheduled day game on Sunday and move it to the night spot after week 5. All they have to do is give the home stadium a 2-3 weeks notice and the game is moved. I'm not too sure about the timelines I gave but that is the jist/gist of it.

So with some of the inter-state rivalries, it'd be smart to schedule them late in the season so if it garners being on Sunday Night, it can be moved or.....If the boys and the Texans are scheduled in say week 13 but the boys are embarking on a playoff appearance and we're kepping the status qou (strugglin' to in 5), they'll move us out and put in a game with more on the line.

All of this is moot if NBC doesn't have one of the Thanksgiving Day game as far as us v them on Turkey Day
Old 03-14-2006   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Unfortunately, we cant play them on Thanksgiving because they rotate AFc and NFC opponents. Last season they played Denver, an AFC team, meaning they will play and NFC team this season while the lions play an AFC team....
Old 03-14-2006   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

How can you have a July 4th game?

The season starts in September.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #13
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the NFL network is who is supposed to have the turkey night game.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #14
seasontix
Rookie

Good point on the 4th of July day- my bad. But using anything else other than Turkey Day is uncharted territory

Last edited by seasontix; 03-14-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2006   #15
seasontix
Rookie

Hey BcKey

I am actually rooting for a Thansgiving day game but if what Run-David-Run points out is true about rotating AFC/NFC teams then I will be out of luck.

For the past couple of years we have traveled to the Dallas area for the thankgiving holiday. We have the Turkey meal for lunch and by game time we are at the Cowboys stadium. My brother in law has hooked me up with complimentary tixs-so I guess I am in good standings with him.

My wife does not mind that we go to the game because she spends the time with her other relatives.

It's a marriage made in heaven.
Old 03-15-2006   #16
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

It doesn't matter so long as the Texans go up 2-0 on the Cowboys it's all good to me. I still have love for Dallas, except for when they play Houston.
Old 03-15-2006   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontix
Good point on the 4th of July day- my bad. But using anything else other than Turkey Day is uncharted territory

They had a few games on Christmas this year.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

thanksgiving should always be the cowboys vs redskins and bears vs lions IMO. (wasnt that how it was for a while?)

i'd love for the texans to be playing on turkey day though, my dad's a cowboys fan it'd give the rest of the family ammunition when we win.
Old 03-15-2006   #19
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure it's already been scheduled that it's Washington against Dallas on Thanksgiving. It's one of the NFL Network games. I don't think the Cowboys see us as rivals so Jones probably doesn't care when we are scheduled.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read