Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Another offseason...

and another FAILURE to address our most pressing needs. Granted it's still early and the draft is yet to come, but why isn't acquiring OL help, #2 WR, and a REAL NFL TE our PRIMARY objective? Instead we run out and get a backup QB, a backup FB, and a so so DE. Granted we needed a DE switching to the 4-3, but I still think the money could have been better spent.

We're not going to get a worthy #2 WR via the draft. Any rookie OL will probably not step in right away and make an impact. I hate to judge too soon and I do have faith in Kubiak, but this is starting to look an awful lot like last offseason when we overpaid for average Morlon Greenwood, and did nothing for the OL or #2 WR, and signed Mark Bruneur and Marcellus Rivers as our TEs. And I'm sorry, but Jeb Putzier is NOT an impact TE. He's another Billy Miller at best...

I guess at this point just hope they draft well for a change...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #2
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve
Default Get a Grip, and give it a chance!

again, i guess you are a member of the Texans FO and know EXACTLY what they need.
Old 03-14-2006   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i see us addressing most of our other needs in the draft(in draft order)-#1reggie, #33 mlb/o-line/fs,#65 te, #66 ol/cb, #98 wr, ol, ol, etc

i think we can pick up a better te in the draft..and theres alot of big later round wr-stovall, avant, marshall-all look like good pickups in later rounds. theres plenty of good later round G's and Cb's, looked up rocky mcintosh(mlb from miami) and he looks good later on aswell. i think at least 4 of our needs will be addressed in the draft with the possibility of as many as 6

dont give up yet. our only other move in FA should be hope-if the money is ok and a #2 wr, everything else should be left to the draft
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #4
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
again, i guess you are a member of the Texans FO and know EXACTLY what they need.
Come on man. AJ suffered all year b/c he had nobody on the other side to take any coverage. We've given up over 200 sacks in 4 seasons. And we've NEVER had a decent pass catching TE. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out...
Old 03-14-2006   #5
Gilly
Rookie

Default come on

Quote:
Look at the numbers. they speak for themselves. obviously the front office has no clue. If you can supply any evidence to the contrary I would be more than happy to give you the benefit of the doubt.
We have needed a #2 WR since 2004.:brickwall
We began our existence with needs at OL that have still not been addressed.:brickwall
CC disassembled a fairly good defense from 2004, and replaced them with pure crap. :brickwall
Chris brown is by far our most consistent player on the offensive side of the ball.

Get ready for another disappointing season if we do not address the OL and #2 WR, although it could not possibly get worse than last year.

The FO is not as football savy as we all would like to believe.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #6
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1329 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
And we've NEVER had a decent pass catching TE.
Putzier may not be a huge impact TE, but he would certainly be a boost in the pass catching department. I watched him in Denver & he was a great passing option...
Old 03-14-2006   #7
The Preacher
Veteran

We're a good team to buy low right now. Little by little the deadwood is being cut and sensible additions are being made. The core of this team is pretty solid and considering the parity in the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if we turned things around in a hurry. With Sherman aboard I feel much better about the line as he was able to patch together a pretty good line last year by the end of the year after losing two all-pros. I'm sure he has an excellent take on the current group of guys and feels with a couple of good draft picks and maybe Flanagan he could put something solid together. We're one TE away from having that base covered and it will likely take this year and next to replace the ridiculous amount of holes to be filled. I'm just saying we could have easily won 3-4 more games this year and aren't that far from becoming competitive again. At least expectations are so low that any sign of improvement will be pretty exciting so cheer up, the ship is slowly turning and I guarantee the players will be fired up about the change of scenery coaching wise, even if it does seem a little homegrown.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2006   #8
TommyS
Veteran

[quote=Gilly]
Chris brown is by far our most consistent player on the offensive side of the ball.
QUOTE]

who??? are we in Tennessee???
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #9
Mathis13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly
Look at the numbers. they speak for themselves. obviously the front office has no clue. If you can supply any evidence to the contrary I would be more than happy to give you the benefit of the doubt.
We have needed a #2 WR since 2004.:brickwall
We began our existence with needs at OL that have still not been addressed.:brickwall
CC disassembled a fairly good defense from 2004, and replaced them with pure crap. :brickwall

Get ready for another disappointing season if we do not address the OL and #2 WR, although it could not possibly get worse than last year.

The FO is not as football savy as we all would like to believe.

There really isnt anybody out there right now thats a upgrade over our OL and #2 reciever. I agree with you though that we should be trying to get a TE
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #10
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1329 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathis13
There really isnt anybody out there right now thats a upgrade over our OL and #2 reciever. I agree with you though that we should be trying to get a TE
Putzier is a good TE to fill in for the immediate future. I believe there are a couple in this draft we could pick up in the later rounds to bolster this position..
Old 03-14-2006   #11
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
We're a good team to buy low right now. Little by little the deadwood is being cut and sensible additions are being made. The core of this team is pretty solid and considering the parity in the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if we turned things around in a hurry. With Sherman aboard I feel much better about the line as he was able to patch together a pretty good line last year by the end of the year after losing two all-pros. I'm sure he has an excellent take on the current group of guys and feels with a couple of good draft picks and maybe Flanagan he could put something solid together. We're one TE away from having that base covered and it will likely take this year and next to replace the ridiculous amount of holes to be filled. I'm just saying we could have easily won 3-4 more games this year and aren't that far from becoming competitive again. At least expectations are so low that any sign of improvement will be pretty exciting so cheer up, the ship is slowly turning and I guarantee the players will be fired up about the change of scenery coaching wise, even if it does seem a little homegrown.
I see what you're saying, but they could at least make an ATTEMPT to improve in those areas. I have a very hard time believing that the same OL that has stunk for 4 years will all of a sudden turn into all pros just b/c of a new coach. Sure they might improve, but if they aren't good enough players it won't matter.

We DO NOT have legit #2 WR on our roster. Not Gaffney, not Armstrong, not even Mathis. They are all #3 WRs at best. And David Carr is not good enough to make only 1 option work. He needs more weapons to take pressure of of him. This is where I think Reggie Bush can REALLLY help him.

And if you get a STUD TE (someone like Antonio Gates) to pair with AJ & Bush we should have a top 10 offense! Drew Brees was a subpar QB on the verge of losing his job until SD got Gates. Then with Gates and LT he suddenly turns into a top 10 QB and SD is one of the top offenses in the NFL every year.
Old 03-14-2006   #12
Spoda
Veteran

wait aren't we getting bentley, hutchins, givens and lavar?? i seem to remember a lot of posters had them penciled in..hmmm...cass a genius...
Old 03-14-2006   #13
DenverBorn
Veteran

Quote:
Well in four years the Texans FO has done a LOUSY job knowing what they need, so I'm all for some other opinions. And I totally agree that thus far we haven't done much, and I'm not optimisitc that we will significantly improve the team. I don't understand why we aren't $40 million under the salary cap given the level of talent on the team. To whom are we paying so much money?
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #14
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

The Fullback...Will most likely start over Moran Norris making him a #1 FB. The DE Anthony Weaver is one of the top 10 give or take in the league for run stopping. The QB we needed a backup eventually over banks. The rest will be adressed but you cant take out everything in 1 off-season. We have done well so far IMO
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #15
The Preacher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
I see what you're saying, but they could at least make an ATTEMPT to improve in those areas. I have a very hard time believing that the same OL that has stunk for 4 years will all of a sudden turn into all pros just b/c of a new coach. Sure they might improve, but if they aren't good enough players it won't matter.

We DO NOT have legit #2 WR on our roster. Not Gaffney, not Armstrong, not even Mathis. They are all #3 WRs at best. And David Carr is not good enough to make only 1 option work. He needs more weapons to take pressure of of him. This is where I think Reggie Bush can REALLLY help him.

And if you get a STUD TE (someone like Antonio Gates) to pair with AJ & Bush we should have a top 10 offense! Drew Brees was a subpar QB on the verge of losing his job until SD got Gates. Then with Gates and LT he suddenly turns into a top 10 QB and SD is one of the top offenses in the NFL every year.
After years of waiting on some o-line help I have resorted to a sit back mode. Much like the poster who had some martinis and figured it wasn't worth panicking over except using different means of consoling I have to believe there is a serious plan in place to draft at least 2 linemen in the top 66. Whether we trade down or take Reggie the FO waited for this draft to secure the line and the time has arrived. I would prefer moving down as far as the middle of the first and getting another 2nd and 3rd. Then we could get a TE in addition to a RT, C, or G. I'm guessing Setterstrom in the 3rd would be ideal for Kubes' fit and Winston/Justice at RT would be nice. I'm sure that is unlikely but we are about to secure a few pieces in the draft and with Reggie/Vernon/another playmaker, we should be dangerous before too long with folks who know offense running things.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #16
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCRoN
Putzier may not be a huge impact TE, but he would certainly be a boost in the pass catching department. I watched him in Denver & he was a great passing option...
I am sure Putzier is not wanted by several of our posters. Too much of a family man. I mean, he could be here negotiating a contract and studying a playbook, but no, he'd rather be with his wife during childbirth.

One of these types of players on your team is enough.

Old 03-14-2006   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

There are lots of holes to be filled ..... and thats a fact.

Whats been done so far looks good to me , as long as they arent finished in FA.

Rosenfels Looks to be a good signing at least on the surface , He's pretty accurate , doesnt throw a lot of picks , has starting experience in the NFL and one stat really stands out to me ..... He doesnt get sacked very often. 61 att's last season w/ Miami and Zero Sacks. He's a definate upgrade over Banks although a bit more expensive ..... Lot more upside.

Jameel Cook is a good signing period . He fits what Kubiak wants out of a FB , he can catch (Very Well) , blocking is above avg and he's a special teams stand out . Considering the fact the Texans will likely lose J.Wells this is a key pick up ..... Many casual fans dont seem to get the impact Wells has had on the special teams ..... I really hope he returns but if not this guy can help fill the viod.

DE Anthony Weaver may not be the ALL-PRO talent everyone wants but he is a solid player ..... He's a real good run stopper at the DE position and this was a HUGE WEAKNESS for this team last season ..... They couldnt stop teams running on first and second down leaving a lot of second or third and short situations ..... Thats a nightmare for both the D-line and D-Backs .
Putting teams in more second / third and long will help the pass rush tremendously .... Third and long .... Sux to be a QB in the NFL ..... That in turn will make the D-Backs look much better . They still need depth here .

The Texans have signed WR Kevin Walter to an offer sheet which the Bungles have until Sunday to match . I like this signing and really hope the Bungles let him walk . He's a big reciever with good speed and hands . I Think he's a huge upgrade over Bradford .....but then again my dog is probably a slight upgrade over Bradford .... If only I could get him to run better route's

There are still major holes on the Defense .....

ILB is a major concern mainly because K.Wong probably wont be ready to go come opening day . Otherwise I'd consider the position filled .... but in this case they need to look for some depth here.

The OLB position opposite M.Greenwood has me confused .... With both Peek and Babin (Probably) moving to the weakside DE position who takes this spot ...no clue yet

Weakside DE .... Im not sold on Babin or Peek getting the job done . I'd like to see them pick up at least one more NFL calibur player for the DE positions as they are short handed there .... Only Weaver is a true DE on the team ... Zero depth here.

The CB position opposite D-Rob is wide open at the moment , I DONT want to see another season of P-Burnt getting burnt .... the guy Cant or WONT tackle , not sure which it is . D.Faggins is a good Nickle but not a starter . This position needs an upgrade .

The FS position is a questionmark to me .Im glad to see Coleman gone , he wasnt the dedicated player I want calling the shots for my DB's. I like both Earl and Brown but think they are both better suited to the SS position and would like to see someone with better cover skills at the FS. Earl and Brown are both capable at SS so that position is solid.

On the Offense there arent as many question marks but there are a few ....

Center is particularly weak if McKinney is the starter , he's a pathetic center but decent at Guard where his weaknesses against bigger DT's can be masked . Drew Hodgdon was impressive when healthy but only saw time in four games last season . An upgrade at Center is actually an upgrade at two positions ... with McKinney moving to LG thats a HUGE upgrade over Milford Brown.

I'd also like to see them upgrade the RG spot . I dont like the idea of Weary starting .... The combination of Wiegart and Wade on the right side was solid when they were healthy . Hopefully Wade wont have issues this season . At least one more player who is capable of playing both tackle and guard would be nice for depth.

As for LT .... I think Chester Pitts is a solid tackle and will only get better ..... He shut out Freeney twice last season and thats no small task.

Then we have the TE spot , Ive been complaining about this for three years .... and its getting a bit old ..... Bruener showed his age last season and wasnt near the blocker he has been in the past , add to that he couldnt catch his wife in the bed room and you have a problem. Rivers showed himself to be a capable player but was in-consistant . Joppru is made of glass .... Wonder when they are finally going to admit he's a bust and move on ? .... I'd like to see a solid aquisition at this position . Vernon Davis would be the perfect fit .....

And finally WR ... Outside of AJ this group hasnt shown much .... and even AJ had a poor season .... Glad to see Bradford go to Detriot , Good Ridance !
Gaffeny is probably better suited to the slot than moving outside .... If he's re-signed that is .... Mathis is a pretty RAW reciever but has loads of upside .... I'd like to see them pick up someone that could man the #2 spot for a couple seasons until Mathis or Walter can mature .

The Texans should make out like bandits in this years draft . After the #1 overall pick they have the first pick in round two and the top two picks in round three .... Lets hope Kubiak , Casserly and Co. do their homework and land some solid talent to fill some holes .... They have made a good start in FA , If they do a good job drafting we could be looking at a much improved team next season.

Dont scream and holler yet ..... It looks as if the front office has a plan .... something they have lacked in the past .... lets see how it unfolds before we call for their heads.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Last edited by Corrosion; 03-14-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #18
el toro
All Pro

Is free agency over? I must've missed something.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone should just turn on Madden for awhile.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

IF I were David Carr, I'd be scratching my head.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read