Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Tonight I listened and Tonight I'm happy!!

I went to the Texans Web site and I found a clip of Kubiak's press conference today where he introduced the DE and Sage. From the get go you are told that these are the people Kubiak wanted and we got who he wanted. You need to credit the GM, Casserly and his collegues for doing that. Again this is who KUBIAK wanted. They were at the top of the list. They are football players with CHARACTER. That's what he said.

Now, as I have stated elsewhere, I wanted to hear from Kubiak and we have. I listened to what he has said and I will have to trust him until I have reason not to. He was enthusiastic about these three individuals and they are obviously his choices. We will have to see what happens, but I was happy to hear that these are people he wanted. The DE is particularly interesting and is well spoken. He is bright and articulate. He seems to have a quick wit and an infectous smile. My nerves have been smoothed and I hope Kubiak will continue to provide us with information as we make our way to the draft. I think it would lend a lot of encouragement to the fan base and go a long way in boosting the morale of the fans, the team and the community.

If you haven't done so, I would suggest you go to the web site and listen to the approximately 7 minute interview. Once, again, these are the people he and his coaches wanted and they were at the top of his list...........
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I dedicated my new avatar to the occasion.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #3
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I went to the Texans Web site and I found a clip of Kubiak's press conference today where he introduced the DE and Sage. From the get go you are told that these are the people Kubiak wanted and we got who he wanted. You need to credit the GM, Casserly and his collegues for doing that. Again this is who KUBIAK wanted. They were at the top of the list. They are football players with CHARACTER. That's what he said.

Now, as I have stated elsewhere, I wanted to hear from Kubiak and we have. I listened to what he has said and I will have to trust him until I have reason not to. He was enthusiastic about these three individuals and they are obviously his choices. We will have to see what happens, but I was happy to hear that these are people he wanted. The DE is particularly interesting and is well spoken. He is bright and articulate. He seems to have a quick wit and an infectous smile. My nerves have been smoothed and I hope Kubiak will continue to provide us with information as we make our way to the draft. I think it would lend a lot of encouragement to the fan base and go a long way in boosting the morale of the fans, the team and the community.

If you haven't done so, I would suggest you go to the web site and listen to the approximately 7 minute interview. Once, again, these are the people he and his coaches wanted and they were at the top of his list...........
What?! Ok. He wanted them. Do you want people to begin to bash him along with CC? Cause it isn't going to stop (the bashing of CC), if that was your intent.
Old 03-13-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
What?! Ok. He wanted them. Do you want people to begin to bash him along with CC? Cause it isn't going to stop (the bashing of CC), if that was your intent.
No, what I'm saying is that you need to look before you leap and listen to the players that have been signed and begin to form an honest opinion of what they might have to offer. My first impression is that they are people we really would like to have on our ball club. Like it or not, I will reiterate, these are people Kubiak wanted and were at the top of his list and Casserly got them for him. At the present time I see no reason to criticize anyone for these selections. If these were planned aquistions, as stated, then they have a plan on how to fill the rest of the holes. That's all you care about, and if it works, then we can all celebrate. Wouldn't that be a nice reward.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #5
Doom Capers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry

AMEN
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

kubiak says Rosenfels has 'ability in this league to be a starter someday", 'His best days are ahead of him' and 'be a part of our football team and compete with David'.

Sounds like Kubiak is very high on these guys and looking forward to implementing them in the Texans new schemes.

He mentions more than once about 'pushing David to make David better and make our football team better' and re-interates that he thinks 'Rosenfels has starter quality in this league'. "He will be given every opportunity to compete"

After hearing this video clip I am getting excited by the fact that there doesn't seem to be anymore 'gimme' positions on this team, including Carr's. That is something lacking on the old regime. Regardless of poor playing certain individuals were the starters continuously. Competition at EVERY position is how teams in this league get even better.

I wasn't too thrilled initially with these FA picks, but after the video clip, I gotta say it changed my mind and looks like Kubiak has done his homework and is implementing his plan and scheme as best he can.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #7
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 346 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I just listened to the audio/video and one word stuck out to me that Kubs continued to say over and over. . . COMPETE. It surely sounded as if Sage is being brought in to compete with Carr. He also said he felt Sage had qualities to be a starter in this league.

I don't think Kubs would hesitate to start Sage if he felt it was best for the team.

Maybe, just maybe, we might have our first QB competition going on the team.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2006   #8
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 346 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
kubiak says Rosenfels has 'ability in this league to be a starter someday", 'His best days are ahead of him' and 'be a part of our football team and compete with David'.

Sounds like Kubiak is very high on these guys and looking forward to implementing them in the Texans new schemes.

He mentions more than once about 'pushing David to make David better and make our football team better' and re-interates that he thinks 'Rosenfels has starter quality in this league'. "He will be given every opportunity to compete"

After hearing this video clip I am getting excited by the fact that there doesn't seem to be anymore 'gimme' positions on this team, including Carr's. That is something lacking on the old regime. Regardless of poor playing certain individuals were the starters continuously. Competition at EVERY position is how teams in this league get even better.

I wasn't too thrilled initially with these FA picks, but after the video clip, I gotta say it changed my mind and looks like Kubiak has done his homework and is implementing his plan and scheme as best he can.

LOL, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been under the impression all along that Casserly is a GM that gets the players the coaches want. It was evident with Capers, and now confirmed with Kubiak (in addition to all the Capers picks we've let go).

I say we give the new FO a grace period before ordering a firing squad. Some folks are freakin' out way too soon. We've got many months to go before any real action begins. Pace yourself.
Old 03-14-2006   #10
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I've been under the impression all along that Casserly is a GM that gets the players the coaches want. It was evident with Capers, and now confirmed with Kubiak (in addition to all the Capers picks we've let go).

I say we give the new FO a grace period before ordering a firing squad. Some folks are freakin' out way too soon. We've got many months to go before any real action begins. Pace yourself.

So...you're saying I just have to convince Kubes to bring me in as the new MLB and I get a fat contract? Swweeeet. We go way back. I once sat next to his kid's babysitter's boyfriend's high school shop teacher's barber at a Broncos game. I'm in.

Last edited by TexanBacker93; 03-14-2006 at 09:40 AM.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Ok so I watched that. Casserly has always been a GM that just got what the coach wanted and Ferens has been the model of overspending, it likely comes from his days as an agent and trying to gouge teams he might as well spread the love. Weaver is overpaid for what he brings to the team. Yeah the likely hood is if we offered him 18.5 he would have went somewhere else, but DE that dont get to the QB are not in high demand as you can see in FA. Pressure is what is wanted and Weaver does not do that. Realize this people and I am now in a whatever the Texans do does not matter I will be in my seat screaming next year, but on third downs we will have a D line currently of Peek, Weaver, TJ/Robaire, Babin. That does not strike fear to me, and the obvious adjustment for teams will be to throw on rushing downs to take advantage of the fact Weaver will be at DE. The same way many teams did in Baltimore. I seriously hope this guy gets the job done and I dont want much out of him just 40+ tackles and 7sacks. I will be happy with that.
Old 03-14-2006   #12
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I will be honest. Once again the Texan's FO has surprised me. Now I thought Greenwood was an odd aquisition. I think he will fit better in a 4-3 this year.

The bigger question being; is Weaver going to get to the QB frequently? Personally, I would rather see Mario Williams putting his hand down next to Travis Johson.

I know very little about Rosenfels either. One thing can be noted though, he was not able to surpass some lackluster QB's at Miami (not sure if that was the coaches or him).

Jameel Cook was backing up a pro-bowler fullback in Alstott so I could see him having a great deal of untapped potential that went unrecognized. I sure hope he can plow the way for Reggie Bush. DD should enjoy having a new blocker in front of him also on thrid down.
Old 03-14-2006   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Cook might be more of the type of FB that Kubiak is looking for in his offense. I don't think Cook is much of a bulldozing type of FB. Quite the opposite actually. I think he fits more into a FB that is a weapon on offense, and is able to catch the ball out of the backfield more. Does this mean that Norris might not make the final cut? Possibly if Kubes can't find a use for one of the best blocking FBs in the game who is also a poor receiver out of the backfield.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #14
SESupergenius

So really, what do we need Casserly for? He's not this so called "genius" we've been hearing about since inception, so we can go ahead and clear that up. If you say Rosenbench will challege Carr then I've got some good beach front property in El Paso to sell at a great price. Weaver is a good replacement for Walker....if we were in a 3-4. I'm still scratching my head over this one. But I guess I could be wrong, I mean, he does have a great smile....something you look for in a Defensive lineman in the National Football League.
Old 03-14-2006   #15
Spoda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
If you say Rosenbench will challege Carr then I've got some good beach front property in El Paso to sell at a great price. .
whoa whoa whoa...did vince part the rio grande and make an ocean out of it?
Old 03-14-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So really, what do we need Casserly for? He's not this so called "genius" we've been hearing about since inception, so we can go ahead and clear that up.
I believe that Kubiak already told you what Casserly is for if you (or should I say y'all) will clean the crap out of your ears and listen. What do want him to do . . . get players that Kubiak doesn't want?

Quote:
If you say Rosenbench will challege Carr then I've got some good beach front property in El Paso to sell at a great price. Weaver is a good replacement for Walker....if we were in a 3-4. I'm still scratching my head over this one. But I guess I could be wrong, I mean, he does have a great smile....something you look for in a Defensive lineman in the National Football League.
If you have a problem with these players, then why don't take it to the man who told Casserly who to go get? What is this? Is there some sort of unwritten rule on this board, where criticism of the head coach is frowned upon just because no games have been played yet. Yet, at the same time, it's OK to rip Casserly, even though he's working with a new coaching staff?

I dunno . . . sounds a little two-faced, if you ask me.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #17
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Weaver is a good replacement for Walker....if we were in a 3-4. I'm still scratching my head over this one. But I guess I could be wrong, I mean, he does have a great smile....something you look for in a Defensive lineman in the National Football League.
Old 03-14-2006   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
So really, what do we need Casserly for? He's not this so called "genius" we've been hearing about since inception, so we can go ahead and clear that up. If you say Rosenbench will challege Carr then I've got some good beach front property in El Paso to sell at a great price. Weaver is a good replacement for Walker....if we were in a 3-4. I'm still scratching my head over this one. But I guess I could be wrong, I mean, he does have a great smile....something you look for in a Defensive lineman in the National Football League.
I think they wanted to get someone that could play LDE on 1st and 2nd downs, was a good run stuffer yet had some semblance (a pulse) of pass-rushing skills. If that is all they wanted Weaver fits the bill, but they overpaid. If Weaver also moves to DT on 3rd downs and provides a pass-rush (next to TJ), then he might be worth more than I think. I really am not stunned that they went after this guy. He is the type of DE I thought they would target since they will probably have Peek and Babin manning the two DE positions on passing downs. The only way I saw us getting a stud DE, was if we traded down from the #1 spot and drafted Super Mario.
Old 03-14-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Weaver signing .... Mainly because he is strong against the run . I think that was a major problem with last seasons defense .(probably more directly related to the Texans LB's last season in the 3-4) Stopping the run is the first step to a good pass rush ...... 2nd or 3rd and long allows the D-linemen to get after the QB much more aggressively ..... and a good pass rush is the defensive backs best friend .

The Jameel Cook (FB) signing looks to be an insurance policy for the possible loss of J.Wells ..... Cook is a special teams stand out , a good blocker and skilled reciever. I expect the backs to be highly involved in the passing game , Cook fits the system and fills a need on ST.

As for Sage Rosenfels .... I looked at his stats w/ Miami last season and one thing stood out ..... 61 attempts and ZERO sacks .....Sacks have been a major problem since this teams inception , maybe Rosenfels can help Carr improve in this area .The 81.5 QB rating isnt bad for a back-up either.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235151

None of these guy's are ALL-PRO top end talent ..... But this team was so bad last season that improving several positions with good players is going to make a dramatic difference in the end result.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #20
Spoda
Veteran

this is what i don't get...tons of you guys were claiming we would be 7-9 minimum last year..and making a playoff push...now we have better coaches...a possibly great draft class...and we have trimmed the fat so to speak (coleman/bradford/walker)...i for one am excited....i think the only thing that could bring me down is if we draft vince

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read