Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trading down is still possible.. but who do we take?

With McKinney being resigned and sloted to start at LG, that makes Pitts our LT = No trading down to take Furguson.

Weaver was signed yesterday making it look like we probablly wont trade down to get Williams.

It's really lookin like we'll be staying in the top spot, which im fine with, but we do still have a glaring need that could be addressed by trading out of the top spot. We do not have a true MLB to run the 4-3. AJ Hawk out of Ohio State is the top linebacker in the draft. I'm suprised I havent heard his name brought up very often when trade down talk is running rampid. Even though many say he'll be playing the OLB possition in the NFL, he really seems to be an Urlacher type of player that our team desperatley needs.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If the Texans were going to trade down .... my first choice would be Vernon Davis at 5-6 ..... I think he has the same kind of versatility that Bush does . He could line up all over the field and having anyone try to cover the guy one on one would be a nightmare .... LB's would be too slow , Corners and safties would get man-handled . He would command a double team just as much as AJ does .... would be making the defense pick their poison ....

dc_txtech

All Pro
corrosion said:
If the Texans were going to trade down .... my first choice would be Vernon Davis at 5-6 ..... I think he has the same kind of versatility that Bush does . He could line up all over the field and having anyone try to cover the guy one on one would be a nightmare .... LB's would be too slow , Corners and safties would get man-handled . He would command a double team just as much as AJ does .... would be making the defense pick their poison ....
I would like to see him on our team as well. Not only LB's would be too slow, he is faster than a lot of safeties and corners too. I wouldnt mind Hawk either he is no doubt a great player.

thague

Practice Squad
corrosion said:
The Texans could totally upgrade the team with a solid TE, draft probably Scott with the first pick in the second round and you fill some much needed positions early with the addition of weaver as well... grab a DB with the first pick in the third round and we'd be looking good...

CITY CAT

Waterboy
Think Davis can create mismatches? If you want mis matches then you go Bush. Not only is he a mismatch he creates mis matches for fellow teammates. Just ask D. Byrd.:drool:

Wild.Bill

Practice Squad
I really don't think that trading down is an option for us any more if NO picks up Brees. I don't see anyone (Titans, 49'ers, or anyone else) feeling that they need the #1 pick in the draft.

edo783

Hall of Fame
TheOgre said:
I really don't see us trading down now. I think it would take a hell of a deal for us to do it.
I agree. If by some sort of miracle we got that kind of deal, I suspect that it would be either Mario or DBrick if the are still in the top 4-5. Outside of that range, could be Hawk or Vernon Davis.

Trenches

Waterboy
I believe trading down is the right thing to do IF they get a decent offer. I'm guessing nothing has really impressed them (or they expect WAY too much).

I am concerned that we will have way too big of a portion of our cap tied up in two RB's. I mean, how long is DD going to play second fiddle to Bush? Yeah, yeah, Bush is going to line up in other places, blah, blah. The bottom line is he will still be limiting DD's touches, and, for a starting RB who is being paid a decent amount of money, that will cause problems.

I see DD being traded after this season as long as he stays healthy. If Bush is as good as touted he will be in the game and in the backfield most of the time. In that case we are fine with an OK RB on the roster behind him.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
I would like to trade down as well, but the truth is the FA is killing our leverage right now. This year's top 3 could be any of about 6 different players, but with most teams shoring up the QB position in the FA that pretty much leaves Bush, Williams, and maybe, say a Leinart as the top picks. Well, I just don't see many teams giving us that "killer deal" for rights to any of those guys, especially when there are at least two other good first round HBs (White/Williams) and a Cutler/Young/Leinart at QB. Truthfully, the only one, true "must-have" in this year's draft is the rapidly rising, "next Julius Peppers" - Mario Williams - and even there, who with a low to mid-round first pick is going to trade up for Williams at the tag we are going to want for it?

I was all about trading down too, but it just does not look like it's going to work out. I too am keeping my fingers crossed, and it's too early to tell, but all signs are pointing away from it right now.

Guess we should get ready to roll out the red carpet for Mr. Reggie Bush ...

W

whiskeyrbl

With all the FA signings I think we can get no better than GB @ #5 or Oakland @ #7 at that point I think you look at Hawk or Vernon Davis.But wait Brees prefers Miami over NO and the $,stay tuned may still be hope @ #2 if the price is right.:drool:

Blake

MMQB
Wild.Bill said:
I really don't think that trading down is an option for us any more if NO picks up Brees. I don't see anyone (Titans, 49'ers, or anyone else) feeling that they need the #1 pick in the draft.
Its inevitable, that someone will want to trade up. The GM's and owners cant help themselves when it comes to boom or bust players, like bush and young.

TexansJunkE

Waterboy
I thik it must be Mario Williams or DBrick. Look at any other team that contends on an regular basis. They have good to great D-O LINES. We must build from the trenches! I think any other year in the draft these guys go #1. Don't screw this up CC and go with a RB. If you want a RB go after one next year by the name of Peterson!