Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What defense should the Texans run?
4-3 21 65.63%
3-4 4 12.50%
Cover-2 5 15.63%
46 0 0%
Other: specify. 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2006   #1
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Which Defense Should We Run

Assume that we have a DC/staff that is capable of running the D as you believe it should be run, e.g. do not disqualify the 3-4 simply because Fangio was horrible at running it, and do not say 4-3 because "that is what Smith is running."

What would you run, if you were Kubiak and could hire anyone you wanted to run it?
Old 03-13-2006   #2
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I like the 3-4 ... believe it creates a better pass rush, as well as we have the better LBs/DL for it.
Old 03-13-2006   #3
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

We are already running the 4-3. This discussion was ended a while back however. I will definetly go with the 4-3. We do NOT have 3-4 line backers nor cornerbacks. Also our DT's we have 3 solid ones. We need to get at least two on the field. To improve our weak blitz package that we have had in the past 4-3 is needed!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #4
whiskeyrbl

I say the 4-3 because it is a more basic defense that will not call for alot of disguied coverages and thought process for our LB's and Dline.Its a Here we are come and get us type D.Lot less thought process and more do what your paid to do.
Old 03-13-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

4-3
Old 03-13-2006   #6
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default combo

I voted other. I believe a good mix of the 4-3 and 3-4 could be very tough for offenses to handle. If you have the personell to run both, why not do it? Limiting a defense just for the sake of putting a lable on it seems like a mistake. With the D-Linemen and Linebackers that are still on our roster it seems like a good idea to constantly give offenses different looks.
Old 03-13-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm saying 3-4..... I think it's easier to find smarter players to fit the 3-4, than it is to find the superstar monsters you need for the 4-3.

The trick, is getting everybody on the same page.
Old 03-13-2006   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
I voted other. I believe a good mix of the 4-3 and 3-4 could be very tough for offenses to handle. If you have the personell to run both, why not do it? Limiting a defense just for the sake of putting a lable on it seems like a mistake. With the D-Linemen and Linebackers that are still on our roster it seems like a good idea to constantly give offenses different looks.

My sentiments exactly ..... If you limit yourself to one set or another you become predictable and easier to gameplan against ..... When teams dont know what you are going to do you have an advantage.....

Look at NE .... their D is difficult to plan for because they use multiple defensive sets .... Teams Never know where the blitz is going to come from ... and this is why so many people think Bill Belichick is such a genuis .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I think our personel is better for the 4-3, and I am excited to see us run it next year.
Old 03-13-2006   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I think our personel is better for the 4-3, and I am excited to see us run it next year.

NO MLB , One guy (just signed) to play the strong side DE , two OLB's looking to play weakside DE .... a room full of DT's .... What makes them better suited to play a pure 4-3 ?

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #11
TexHorns
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
I say the 4-3 because it is a here we are come and get us type D.Lot less thought process and more do what your paid to do.
Manning will eat that up twice a year.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHorns
Manning will eat that up twice a year.
Manning has already eaten up our 3-4 twice a year. how about a 1-10!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #13
outofhnd
All Pro

4-3

I hate the 3-4 just because a couple of teams seem to do well with it, Other teams quickly follow suit. Its only different when the majority of the NFL goes back to the 4-3.

4-3 is simple and straightforward. Im sending these 4 guys stop em if you can. Usually its a lil more effective because in a 3-4 bringing the rush from diffeent places isnt the wear and tear on a O line that 4 guys coming in on every play. Plus it requires precision, To me its more suited for a vetaran defense more than a young defense because of the assignments.

Im all for the 4-3 and I am excited that we are using it here

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read