Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2006   #1
bigtex77
Veteran

Default So, which is it?

I have some things that I have been thinking over, especially after hearing alot of the national media (Sportcenter, PTI, etc.) say that we should trade the first pick so we can rebuild after going 2-14 last season. I look at it from a different view, yes we were 2-14 last year during a season which the entire organization knew that a house cleaning was coming after only a few games. The players knew they were playing for a lame duck coach, and the coaches knew their time was up. No team will succeed in a situation like that. However, we were 7-9 just 2 seasons ago and one of the "Teams to Watch" for some of the experts. My question for you guys is this: are we really as bad as last year or do you think we are closer to our 2004 level of play going into next year. I know we still have the remainder of free agency to get to and the draft, but I mean as the team stands now, with the new staff. Which version do you think we are closer to right now?
Old 03-13-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 03-13-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
I have some things that I have been thinking over, especially after hearing alot of the national media (Sportcenter, PTI, etc.) say that we should trade the first pick so we can rebuild after going 2-14 last season. I look at it from a different view, yes we were 2-14 last year during a season which the entire organization knew that a house cleaning was coming after only a few games. The players knew they were playing for a lame duck coach, and the coaches knew their time was up. No team will succeed in a situation like that. However, we were 7-9 just 2 seasons ago and one of the "Teams to Watch" for some of the experts. My question for you guys is this: are we really as bad as last year or do you think we are closer to our 2004 level of play going into next year. I know we still have the remainder of free agency to get to and the draft, but I mean as the team stands now, with the new staff. Which version do you think we are closer to right now?
We will not know until they get together as a unit for the first time. New leadership, new captains, new responsibilities, differnet accountability. It is all new and we will not know until the team gets an opportunity to define what they want to be and how they want to get there.
Old 03-13-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

New Coaches, new system..... switching to the 4-3, and moving players around on the line. Not to mention new talent.

I'd say we are somewhere in between. Anything over 2 wins, will be viewed as a success...... anyone predicting more than 7 wins, has been hit in the head way too many times.
Old 03-13-2006   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
New Coaches, new system..... switching to the 4-3, and moving players around on the line. Not to mention new talent.

I'd say we are somewhere in between. Anything over 2 wins, will be viewed as a success...... anyone predicting more than 7 wins, has been hit in the head way too many times.

Yea I agree with you. Improved but not playoff caliber yet.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #6
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I second that.
Old 03-13-2006   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
For some reason, people forget we finished '04 3-6. We beat only 1 team with a winning record, the Jags--4 of our 7 wins were against the Jags and Titans. We started our decline long before '05, the year that the 'bottom fell out' from the previous years of inept coaching, poor player selection, and horrible 'philosophies,' etc.

Last edited by tsip; 03-13-2006 at 12:50 PM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2006   #8
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
For some reason, people forget we finished '04 3-9. We beat only 1 team with a winning record, the Jags--4 of our 7 wins were against the Jags and Titans. We started our decline long before '05, the year that the 'bottom fell out' from the previous years of inept coaching, poor player selection, and horrible 'philosophies,' etc.
You make a good point, I forgot that we ended '04 so poorly.
Old 03-13-2006   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I think we are better than we looked, from the standpoint of yes, our team was in disarray last year, no one respected our coaching, and at some point the whole thing just snowballed and here we are holding the #1 pick.

I think 8-8 is very feasible, dependant also on how do we in the FA/draft this year. I have seen bad to average teams talentwise perform at a very high level due to excellent coaching, and I have seen good to great teams talentwise perform well under their abilities. Many other teams (Bears, most recently, though yes, they were somewhat more "established" in terms of talent and veteran leadership) have gone from worst to first in the span of one season. I am not calling us playoff contenders, mind you, only saying that we have a legitimate shot at being much, much better.

It is too early to "know," for sure, but I tend to think Kubiak is in the process of righting this ship. I expect that the players have and are and will continue to respond to the new staff, and I expect our playcalling/personnel decisions to be better this time around.

Honestly, I believe you will watch the Houston Texans this year and see very little resemblance to last year's team: a lot of the same names and numbers, difference being, our coaches are putting them in a position to succeed.
Old 03-13-2006   #10
Eyeguy
Veteran

I'm more concerned that the team be competive in each game. At least the 1st year we had a never say die effort. That seems to have been lost over the last 3 years. I'm hopeful that G.K. can turn that around.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #11
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy
I'm more concerned that the team be competive in each game. At least the 1st year we had a never say die effort. That seems to have been lost over the last 3 years. I'm hopeful that G.K. can turn that around.
I think if you look at the players we have signed so far,those are the type personalities he is bringing in.Last nite on Fox Sports Extra, His comments on Weaver went: He is a guy who's motor is always running and not giving up on the play. We brought him in to teach our younger guys this approach and attitude.This is what is going to be expected from all our players. Or something to that effect.
Old 03-13-2006   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anything over 2 wins, will be viewed as a success...... anyone predicting more than 7 wins, has been hit in the head way too many times.
You oughta save that one for later this summer for those silly prediction threads. I find it hilarious to see the same people who rag everything about the team, all of a sudden get inflicted with a case of unjustified optimism during 'prediction' time, and then whine a new river when their unrealistic view never pans out.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
For some reason, people forget we finished '04 3-6. We beat only 1 team with a winning record, the Jags--4 of our 7 wins were against the Jags and Titans. We started our decline long before '05, the year that the 'bottom fell out' from the previous years of inept coaching, poor player selection, and horrible 'philosophies,' etc.
Well, we started 2004 4-3. The longer Pendry and his special form of "team cancer" were with the team, the worse the offense got. IMO.
Old 03-13-2006   #14
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I will answer this after the draft/preseason
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #15
bigtex77
Veteran

OK guys, I started this in March, and now the season is upon us, we can let this thread die or start it up again, just ran across it and thought it was interesting.
Old 08-26-2006   #16
BlueThunder
Veteran

I think were a 500 team and with a little luck I think we can make the playoffs.We should get Jerome Mathis soon but how much can we install him into the offense.We have the talent to beat any team but what can the coaches get out of what we have.I think the most suprising player this preseason is Morancy.I'm starting to see the talent on this team stand out.In order for this team to go anywhere it's going to take the unknown players to step up and make plays.Our depth seams to be pretty deep and balanced but we still have 2 preseason games and that will tell us just how good we are.

I'm going 11 and 5 because I really have confidence in the coaching staff and how the players are buying into the system.We are behind on big plays but I like the way were getting good at the things we do good and keeping thing we have trouble with out of the plan.

BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Oh my..........

Ibar & myself must have been hit in the head too many times.......
Old 08-26-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am holding fast at 6 wins, because I do not know how this team will handle diversity, nor am I sure how Carr will pan out this year. I have been waiting for Morency to be given a chance since last year and that could move me to one extra win on my tally. Upside given my listed variables is 9 wins, but I stand at 6.
Old 08-26-2006   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I have been waiting for Morency to be given a chance since last year and that could move me to one extra win on my tally.
In the few chances he got last year, he looked real good. I've been sold on him since the first time he carried the ball.
Old 08-26-2006   #20
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

I am hoping for maybe 7-9. I think that we can keep alot of games close and can control the ball and time of possession we could pull of 6 or 7 wins this year. Besides if these guys finally get a taste of winning like 3 in a row, how great would that be, something would change in them so keep up the go work Coach Kubes and company and here to coach of the year how about that.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read