Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default No WR or T, I don't believe this!

Did the Grandmaster, Charley Casserly, not see the same problem many of us saw last year? Inconsistent line play and no strong threat at #2 WR to take the heat off AJ? What are they doing in FA? I know they said they didn't want to overspend to bring in decent free agents, but sometimes its a cultural change and bringing in these guys can help. Point blank, the O-line needs an upgrade and preferably someone with a nasty streak. Bottom-line, the entire team was soft the past couple of seasons, and that might help. AS for WR, I love Gaffney at the slot, but without a good #2, forget about it. Jeb Putzier or whatever other TE they want to bring in will not take pressure and triple teams off Johnson enough. I'm starting to see the same type of signings we always have had. Does Givens deserve $4Mil a year, I doubt it, but they have to extend themselves a bit to bring in someone who can stretch the field and go across the middle. Come on, they kept BRadford last year! Not one team wanted to bring him in for a look.....................and we kept him!!! Time for Charley to go, and bring in a real G.M. for this stuff! Suggestions: With whose left, Tackle LJ Shelton. At WR? Who knows, but we have to get someone beside Bradford, Mathis, or whoever else is left on the roster!
Old 03-13-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts is a much better LT than LJ Shelton. You don't bring in guys just to bring in guys. Pitts actually shut out Freeney twice once the Texans figured out that you should put your best LT at LT. John McClain was on 610am this morning and said the Texans told him the person that gave up the most sacks last year was David Carr. He gave up over 20 sacks and the backs and TE's gave up about 12.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #3
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I always believe everything John Mcclain says.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
Well, if you can't see it by watching games and you won't believe McClain, Kubiak mentions that Carr was a big part of the sack problem on the video on the front page too. Solving our offensive problem isn't just as simple as bringing in a Tackle to replace Pitts.

Old 03-13-2006   #5
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Pitts is a much better LT than LJ Shelton. You don't bring in guys just to bring in guys. Pitts actually shut out Freeney twice the Texans figured out that you should put your best LT at LT. John McClain was on 610am this morning and said the person that gave up the most sacks last year was David Carr. He gave up over 20 sacks and the backs and TE's gave up about 12.

McClain is also a VY supporter and has been known to blow things way overboard.

Sad actually he used to be somewhat of a non biased reporter...he needs a transfer to New York.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
McClain is also a VY supporter and has been known to blow things way overboard.

Sad actually he used to be somewhat of a non biased reporter...he needs a transfer to New York.
Ok, Kubiak lied to him. We will run with that.

Old 03-13-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
Yea me to. Its really amazing how gullible some people are when it comes to believing what McClain, Justice, and others in the Chronicle say.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2006   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

If you read what Vinny wrote, Kubiak even mentions Carr is part of the sack problem via the video on the main page. Its not a McClain/Young lovefest, its the truth. Any person knows that Carr was part of the problem.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #9
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Remember the Texans also have a draft that they will use to fill the other holes on the roster. No need to overspend on a WR when they already had to overspend for a DE. If we are able to bring in Putzier then I will be content with the FA additions this offseason.

McClain did say that the o-line is not great, but not nearly as bad as people think it is. He said that Carr, RB's, and coaching were all part of the problem.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #10
Frills
Veteran

Last year Carr also has Grade AAA+ coaching, and when he did have an actual QB coach, Pendry and Capers tried a horrible O-line "experiment"

So he runs out of bounds for a 2 yd loss instead of throwing it away, he gets a sack, and the locals get angry...in a 2-14 campaign did it really matter?
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Last year Carr also has Grade AAA+ coaching, and when he did have an actual QB coach, Pendry and Capers tried a horrible O-line "experiment"

So he runs out of bounds for a 2 yd loss instead of throwing it away, he gets a sack, and the locals get angry...in a 2-14 campaign did it really matter?
This argument was about the fact that we need linemen to cure the problems....I'm just pushing the fact out that LJ Shelton replacing Pitts isn't the cure. When your QB gives up 20+ sacks all by himself, switching out lineman isn't going to help it.

Old 03-13-2006   #12
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

We kept Bradford last season at the veterans minimum. If not there it was pretty close. Givens wants #1 WR money. He's not good enough for that kind of money. If you look at his production against what he wants you can't give it to him. People want him because they've seen him in Super Bowls and he came from Humble. I'd rather look at Antonio Bryant or even Reche Caldwell who will sign for half of what Givens is asking for. Givens reminds me of Peerless Price. He's going to end up somewhere as the #1 guy and he won't succeed. He'd do well here since the Texans have Andre, but not at $25 million.

Putzier will help a lot. Having a receiver that can work the middle of the field will keep the safeties from keying off on AJ every play. He gets more single coverage and he's going to put up 2004 numbers again.

I don't think there are any LTs available that are better than Pitts. Shaffer might have been an upgrade, but he signed quickly and for a good chunk. Ashworth and Walker are other possibilities, but I still wouldn't put them at LT over Pitts. I would still expect them to draft 1 or 2 linemen. If the team signs Flanagan to start at center the line is going to be improved.

The team can't change every position in one season. Small changes will still affect this team. It won't take much to get the team to the .500 level this season and then the coaches will have a better feel for the personalities and talent on the roster and make the playoff push in 2007.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #13
Trenches
Veteran

great. so our QB AND our line is the problem. that was Carr's best excuse that he had no time to throw, etc. at what point do we give up on Carr? Once Kubiak has had a chance to work with him? He is developing bad habits that will be hard to break. In fact, the whole team is. Losing is a one of the hardest habits to break. Ask an Detroit fan. We are quickly becoming a joke of a franchise. This team looks no better now than it did in year 2. Still the same questions. I hope Bush is truely Barry Sanders reincarnated becuase thats what its going to take.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches
I hope Bush is truely Barry Sanders reincarnated becuase thats what its going to take.
Agreed. If we do go with Bush and do not trade him the expectations will be astounding and I am not sure if any player, unit or coach would be able to live up to them. But as Napoleon Dynamite said, "Just tell them to pick Reggie, extend Carr and all of their wildest dreams will come true."
Old 03-13-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant believe we have to go through this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
I cant believe we have to go through this again.
This weekend I spent some quiet time reflecting on my life over martinis and cigars. I felt the need to do this because of the recent Texans history and the effect I can see it is having on some people. What I found after some very serious contemplation can be summarized as follows:

My life - home, family, health, work, etc. - was not affected by the Texans 2-14 record, not their previous 7-9 record, when they didn't exist, and probably won't be when they reach the playoffs.

I'm very relaxed now.
Old 03-13-2006   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
This weekend I spent some quiet time reflecting on my life over martinis and cigars. I felt the need to do this because of the recent Texans history and the effect I can see it is having on some people. What I found after some very serious contemplation can be summarized as follows:

My life - home, family, health, work, etc. - was not affected by the Texans 2-14 record, not their previous 7-9 record, when they didn't exist, and probably won't be when they reach the playoffs.

I'm very relaxed now.
Thanks I think I might try that to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I believe that Carr could have done some things different he is not perfect and the OLine and RB and TEs could have done better but that does not make him a bad QB, I have seen a lot of QBs take sacks to avoid throwing the ball into tight coverage, but that is in the past and Carr has a new guy here that will get Carr to the level he can play at. Dont bring up running out of bounds either(people) he did that maybe 2 or 3 times out of frustration.

Yesterday on the draft special Kubiak said Carr and Payne have been the the guys that have been down there every day for 2 weeks straight, Carr is working hard is going to be a lot better.

I personaly would rather believe in what Kubes, Reeves, Bob, Steve have to say before I can believe a guy like John McClain, that is just me though.
McClain said Kubiak told him.......All I'm trying to relay is that when people look at sacks they automatically trash the linemen. That is not always correct.

Old 03-13-2006   #19
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I heard McClain's comments as well .... he did say Carr was responsible for 20 sacks ...

however, it's difficult for me to see this as anything other than a cause and effect of having shaky protection for years ....

did he run out of bounds behind the line a number of times? Yep but the key word there is "run" ...

did he run into defenders? yep again the key word is "run" ..

I look forward to seeing him drop back and more often than not have something resembling a pocket rather than a jailbreak ....

if he can't handle things at that point then adios ...
Old 03-13-2006   #20
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
This argument was about the fact that we need linemen to cure the problems....I'm just pushing the fact out that LJ Shelton replacing Pitts isn't the cure. When your QB gives up 20+ sacks all by himself, switching out lineman isn't going to help it.
If the line was good enough, then Carr wouldn't have needed to run to the sideline in the first place.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read