Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-13-2006   #1
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default Howard Signs with the Eagles

Quote:
Eagles sign former Saints defensive end Howard

Free agent defensive end Darren Howard agreed to a six-year, $30.5 million deal Sunday night with the Philadelphia Eagles. Included in the deal was a $9.5 million signing bonus and a $1 million roster bonus, topping guarantees offered by his team of six years, the New Orleans Saints.

Howard had turned down a $10 million signing bonus to sign a long-term deal from the Saints in 2005, hoping to do better in the next free agency period. His instincts turned out to be right.

Howard will work on the other side of Jevon Kearse, giving the Eagles one of the best one-two defensive end tandems in the NFL.
ESPN
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Could this open up Mario at #2 if they sign Brees?

I believe they will either trade down or take D'Brick, but a Will Smith/Mario Williams DE combo would be pretty nasty.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Yes, if they sign Brees my thought is they will go sign Mario Williams. Brees reportedly prefers to play in Miami but is asking for a ton of money and Miami has Daunte Culpepper as another option at QB, so Miami might pull out of the race for Drew Brees and leave him to New Orleans.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Jevon............ Howard......... oh, this is bad for the Cowboys.....
Old 03-13-2006   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Must be nice to be an eagles fan. Get javon one year. Darren now. I cant imagine who they will pick up a year or two from now. Maybe Ray Lewis..... But at least we got Cook...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #6
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
Must be nice to be an eagles fan. Get javon one year. Darren now. I cant imagine who they will pick up a year or two from now. Maybe Ray Lewis..... But at least we got Cook...
haha. no kidding. how does a team like Philly or Wash that has good veteran talent and star power continue to sign the top guys and we have a team full of below average players with a few could be young stars and can only sign spares? who is our capoligist??? dont tell me its CC
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Eagles just gave him a $10.5 million bonus...... & $3.33 million a year.

It's not like were giving an inferior player $13 million garunteed(sp) money......... or is it??
Old 03-13-2006   #8
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
It's not like were giving an inferior player $13 million garunteed(sp) money......... or is it??

please define inferior ....
Old 03-13-2006   #9
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Could this open up Mario at #2 if they sign Brees?

I believe they will either trade down or take D'Brick, but a Will Smith/Mario Williams DE combo would be pretty nasty.

but dont the saints still got charles grant, so i don't think they will draft Mario
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

What they would do is move Grant inside as a one gap Dtackle since he has played it some on passing downs. He would move there permanently giving them Will Smith and Mario as the bookends on defense. That would suck to play against, but my gut says they will take a decent deal and trade down were they could take Hawk to high.
Old 03-13-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
please define inferior ....

Inferior as in to go along with the context of the post.
Old 03-13-2006   #12
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches
haha. no kidding. how does a team like Philly or Wash that has good veteran talent and star power continue to sign the top guys and we have a team full of below average players with a few could be young stars and can only sign spares? who is our capoligist??? dont tell me its CC
I think it's still that "Unless I get paid a boatload of smack, I'd rather play for a team that's had a good history of winning" mentality. I can't honestly blame them. You'd be hard pressed to find players that want to go to a franchise that hasn't won anything for below market value. Even market value would be nice. I'm sure all of us sit here and believe that if we had the skills to be in the NFL (I do, of course, but I can't work on Sundays so that just messes it all up) that we'd play for a losing team for less than we can get elsewhere just to be part of that rise to the top. We'd be heroes. They'd write songs about us. Brad Pitt would play us in the movie. Angelina Jolie would play the loving wife that sacrificed that extra $2 million so we could be part of the big turnaround. Sadly, though, that won't happen in the real world. Until the Texans start winning something they are going to have to reach to get players. They aren't going to get the best players to come here unless they draft them. They aren't going to get the 2nd tier FA to come here without paying a little bit more. They'll start winning, though, and then all them players that snubbed their noses at our money will come crawling to Reliant 1, begging to be part of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Eagles just gave him a $10.5 million bonus...... & $3.33 million a year.

It comes out to $5 million a year. About the same as we gave Weaver.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
I think it's still that "Unless I get paid a boatload of smack, I'd rather play for a team that's had a good history of winning" mentality. I can't honestly blame them. You'd be hard pressed to find players that want to go to a franchise that hasn't won anything for below market value. Even market value would be nice. I'm sure all of us sit here and believe that if we had the skills to be in the NFL (I do, of course, but I can't work on Sundays so that just messes it all up) that we'd play for a losing team for less than we can get elsewhere just to be part of that rise to the top. We'd be heroes. They'd write songs about us. Brad Pitt would play us in the movie. Angelina Jolie would play the loving wife that sacrificed that extra $2 million so we could be part of the big turnaround. Sadly, though, that won't happen in the real world. Until the Texans start winning something they are going to have to reach to get players. They aren't going to get the best players to come here unless they draft them. They aren't going to get the 2nd tier FA to come here without paying a little bit more. They'll start winning, though, and then all them players that snubbed their noses at our money will come crawling to Reliant 1, begging to be part of this.
I do not disagree with the take. I just believe that FA's are less likly to come here when they see our business plan. We have a lot of money tied up in Carr and AJ and all signs are pointing to Bush. We will roughly have 23% of our cap tied up into three offensive skill players on. We will have about 78 million to spend on 50 other players. That is not a sound business plan for future success. I would not have my players looking at the Texans unless they ponied up extra cash or one of my clients was not getting as much opportunity from a playing time perspective in the prospective suitors vision of that player.
Old 03-13-2006   #14
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I do not disagree with the take. I just believe that FA's are less likly to come here when they see our business plan. We have a lot of money tied up in Carr and AJ and all signs are pointing to Bush. We will roughly have 23% of our cap tied up into three offensive skill players on. We will have about 78 million to spend on 50 other players. That is not a sound business plan for future success. I would not have my players looking at the Texans unless they ponied up extra cash or one of my clients was not getting as much opportunity from a playing time perspective in the prospective suitors vision of that player.
Very true.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
Quote:
Eagles sign former Saints defensive end Howard

Free agent defensive end Darren Howard agreed to a six-year, $30.5 million deal Sunday night with the Philadelphia Eagles. Included in the deal was a $9.5 million signing bonus and a $1 million roster bonus, topping guarantees offered by his team of six years, the New Orleans Saints.
It comes out to $5 million a year. About the same as we gave Weaver.

If the deal includes the $10.5 mill bonuses, wouldn't that make it $20 million for six years?? The whole deal averages out to $5mil a year, but this way, Howard only costs them $3.3 per year in real money, & ($3.3 mil + $1.7 mill=)$5mill towards the cap.

If we've given Weaver $13 million plus $5mil(which I doubt, but considering recent history......) our man costs us $5 mill real money every year, & $7.6 mill on the cap.
Old 08-27-2006   #16
Rodman91
Rookie

Howard will haunt you in game one, guaranteed.

ONE OF MANY FROM

PHILLY.COM'S EAGLES FORUM!
Rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read