Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Maybe they know what they're doing?

I've been hammering the Texans for a while, but today it struck me: maybe they know what they're doing.

Look at it this way: in FA maybe they are making small but significant improvements. Weaver is, by all accounts a solid player. Sage Rosenfels, well, I don't know. He's reasonably tall. The fullback looks like a solid, serious guy. THe other people they're looking at--the center, the tight end, Givens -- they're all solid players. Not spectacular, but maybe significantly better than what we're use to.

So maybe that's the FA idea--incremental improvements over a wide range of positions.

And yes, they're overpaying. And yes, I'd rather they go after top guys, even if it meant they only had a couple three years left in the tank. But maybe what they're doing isn't so bad, and we'll come out in the composite significantly improved? Doesn't that seem like a possibility?

I mean, I hate to be rah rah, but I'm just sayin'
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #2
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I've been hammering the Texans for a while, but today it struck me: maybe they know what they're doing.

Look at it this way: in FA maybe they are making small but significant improvements. Weaver is, by all accounts a solid player. Sage Rosenfels, well, I don't know. He's reasonably tall. The fullback looks like a solid, serious guy. THe other people they're looking at--the center, the tight end, Givens -- they're all solid players. Not spectacular, but maybe significantly better than what we're use to.

So maybe that's the FA idea--incremental improvements over a wide range of positions.

And yes, they're overpaying. And yes, I'd rather they go after top guys, even if it meant they only had a couple three years left in the tank. But maybe what they're doing isn't so bad, and we'll come out in the composite significantly improved? Doesn't that seem like a possibility?

I mean, I hate to be rah rah, but I'm just sayin'
Who are you and what did you do to nighthawk?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72233 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't discount this point of view. I've been thinking the same way. A couple of average players in key spots would be significant upgrades for us. Therefore I think Weaver was probably a good pick-up. In addition, I think an average pass blocking center would help us out immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Who are you and what did you do to nighthawk?
Funny.
Old 03-12-2006   #4
big homey
Veteran

Nonsense! Casserly is an ***** and this FO is going to ruin this franchise for eternity!

But seriously, I think the moves they've made so far have been good - Weaver is a solid run-stopper, which nobody should be complaining about when you reflect on our run defense last year. Cook is a special teams guy, bolstering what was our strong point last year. Rosenfels is, well, better than Banks at least.

We may overpay somewhat, but at least the FO is showing they're willing to push out the big chips to try and improve the team. That might go a way toward attracting some other FA's who know we aren't cheapskates in Houston. Just being optimistic.
Old 03-12-2006   #5
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

nighthawk you're speaking in logic, people here don't understand that
Old 03-12-2006   #6
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
Sage Rosenfels, well, I don't know. He's reasonably tall.
hahaha
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

WTF?? I can't believe it. A glass-half-full type of thread on this message board? I think I'm going to faint.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2006   #8
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
WTF?? I can't believe it. A glass-half-full type of thread on this message board? I think I'm going to faint.
I think it makes for a rather pleasant change.

This board has been negative for so long - perhaps we are in a rut, so to speak. Surely the powers that be aren't leaving Casserly out there hangin' about to make his own decisions. :brickwall Seriously, someone with a brain just has to be telling Cass what to do, although I'm not real sure about Rosenfels, I'm not a QB coach either. Seeing the big bucks James and El Randel went for - maybe they figure a bunch of average guys beat one or two "stars" as we need so many players at this time. That makes sense to me.

I think instead of arrogance as someone else posted, I shall think of these little FA decisions as faith in their coaching ability. I do know that for the first time in all of my put togethers, I'm going to be interested in the pre-season games.

Go Texans!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this. Positives. Being negative can get to be a habit and not really good for the digestion either.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey ... it's your choice. Eat Tums or live in a delusional, out of touch with reality world that Jags and Titans fans live in...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #11
bATXle red
Rookie

who knows till we see these guys in a texans uniform...
Old 03-12-2006   #12
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan
Default crybabies.

you know, the Patriots don't sign stars either. Neither do the Broncos. Please don't tell me Plummer was a star, because he wasn't. Champ Bailey is a star, but he was acquired through trade. I'm sure fans of these teams weren't pleased with their type of acquisitions at first either.

so quit whining. all people do on this board is complain about Reggie Bush, or Casserly, or Young, or Capers, or Carr, or Pendry, or the O-Line. its getting quite old.

see beyond the allure of stars and understand what the FO is trying to do here. You don't need to fill the roster with pro-bowlers to win games. Look at the Yankees. Look at the Knicks. the teams that do this are not the teams that win.

i'd take smart moves over glitzy moves any day.

Cook - may become the starting fullback. there's no reason for signing him otherwise.

Rosenfels - come on! its a backup quarterback. we know Carr is going to take every snap anyway, so don't worry about what this guy can and can't do. He's no Marino, but he could easily be a Detmer. role players are important too.

Weaver - did you notice us stop the run last year? neither did i. this is an improvement. he's also a better pass rusher than whatever fat turds we managed to be playing at end. this leaves Babin and Peek on the other side, which could possibly become an effective platoon, so to speak.
Old 03-12-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerFan

i'd take smart moves over glitzy moves any day.

Me too. Lets name them. I'll start.

uh

let me get back with you on this ..
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

last season I made the "mistake" of being positive about our acquisitions and not judging until I saw enough of them on the field to say one way or the other.

You could say that I was mistaken last year, seeing as we had a terrible season, but I dont think I was.

I think you really cant just remain negative about every move we make. Yah you might not agree with it.. yah we would all like to see our FO pull off some miracle and sign 3 probowlers for 10 year contracts at $6.50 an hour... but it doesnt work like that, not always, and you cant really expect huge changes and immediate improvement in every phase of the game.

Look at the Browns. Yah..they have made some nice signings.. but do you really think that the Browns have fixed their team now? They havent solved all their problems, despite all the money they have spent. I am sure it has entertained their fans, but personally, I am more entertained by wins than by having notable players on my team. Ask the Patriots about that. Look at the Redskins.. they have sold the farm repeatedly to get big names in Free Agency.. has it helped them? sure..they even made it to the playoffs last season.... the playoffs... not the superbowl. Despite having established players.. great coaches.. probowlers.. and a huge fanbase and being the #1 most profitable team in the NFL... and all of their trades and huge signings got them the privilege of sniffing the superbowl, not playing in it.

By contrast.. look at the Patriots..the Colts.. the Seahawks..the Steelers... what have they done? have they been big players in FA? have they sold the farm? Only on their own talent.

All we have done during the FA periods, every year, is get solid players that we think can make a difference for us. Have we had to pay them more than they are worth? yes.. due to the "risk" involved with coming to an expansion team that is struggling to find itself..we have been forced to overpay a bit. I dont see it as a big deal.. we arent in cap hell.. and we arent likely to be in cap hell any time soon.

I want to see us get Gaffney and Peek back.. that is the kind of home grown talent we need to hold onto. Other than that.. I am not worried about this FA period.

Ive gone off on a tangent. The point is.. you cant base your opinions on this team on how familiar the names of our FA signings are. We have a new coaching staff.. we have a bright future with alot of young talented players.. and that is enough. LeCharles Bentley may have helped us get our offense straight.. but his contribution would have been miniscule compared to the impact that a new staff and a very qualified Oline coach will have.

Try not to pull your hair out people.. we arent killing ourselves..we arent digging ourselves a hole.. we already made our key acquisitions in our coaching staff... now we are just making solid signings to fill some needs..so that we can go into the draft and have the freedom to take the best players available to us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Sage Rosenfels, well, I don't know. He's reasonably tall.
I'm close to 6'2, and with cleats maybe a little bit over. Can I play for the minimum? Just practice with the team, build some muscle. Maybe I can get a free trip to Europe in a year or two once I'm physically ready. I'm pretty accurate too for someone that never played football, and you can't teach that...

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the players they picked up, but the price they paid. The argument about the Patriots not signing big name guys isn't valid because they didn't tap out the Scrooge McDuck cashpile for their signings.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

I have no problem with getting Weaver.

but paying him pro-bowl money is ridiculous. Hes a smaller, weaker, less athletic Travis Johnson in my eyes.
Old 03-12-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Allow me to take you into a time machine into a time when we thought Buchanon would be a shutdown corner and the Texans, Lions, Packers, Jets, Saints, and Cardinals were actually contenders for the playoffs. Back when Destiny's Child was still together.

Mike Shanahan was ridiculed by anyone who pretends to know anything about football. He traded a good RB and acquired all the Browns' D-linemen. Then, he signed Ron Dayne, drafted Maurice Clarett and allowed Jake Plummer to be the only QB on the roster capable of "leading" a team. Then the regular season came...and did it come. The Broncos had a great season and ended up losing in the playoffs to the eventual Superbowl champions. Do you know who else helped significantly? Gary Kubiak. Neither of us here are GMs, so don't critique the moves of a guy that has actually carried the Lombardi Trophy.

But then again, this is Charlie Casserly.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Allow me to take you into a time machine into a time when we thought Buchanon would be a shutdown corner and the Texans, Lions, Packers, Jets, Saints, and Cardinals were actually contenders for the playoffs. Back when Destiny's Child was still together.

Mike Shanahan was ridiculed by anyone who pretends to know anything about football. He traded a good RB and acquired all the Browns' D-linemen. Then, he signed Ron Dayne, drafted Maurice Clarett and allowed Jake Plummer to be the only QB on the roster capable of "leading" a team. Then the regular season came...and did it come. The Broncos had a great season and ended up losing in the playoffs to the eventual Superbowl champions. Do you know who else helped significantly? Gary Kubiak. Neither of us here are GMs, so don't critique the moves of a guy that has actually carried the Lombardi Trophy.

But then again, this is Charlie Casserly.

if only we played flag-football, with girls, on a tennis court, Buchanon WOULD be a shutdown corner!
Old 03-12-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
if only we played flag-football, with girls, on a tennis court, Buchanon WOULD be a shutdown corner!
Check the archives...even I thought he was going to team up with D-rob for double-digit picks... ...we all grew from that.

Now, the only thing he can shut down is his computer..
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #20
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

this is why i feel compelled to speak

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT SALARY
54 109 776 49.5 7.12 77 6 6 3 68.4 1,540,900

Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate SALARY
2356 1278 54.2 15315 6.50 85 77 73 227/1432 191 43 72.4 1,053,943

Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate SALARY
40 20 50.0 135 3.38 24 0 1 8/39 1 0 47.4 605,000

qb #1 is our recently acquired sage rosenfels....our brilliant free agent signing, requisite with multi million dollar signing bonus. the man has thrown 109 passes IN HIS CAREER.

qb #2 is our established veteran backup, Tony Banks, who has won games in a texans uniform

qb #3 is Nfl europe Mvp dave ragone, who has only been given 2 career starts, and was drafted in the 3rd round to fill exactly the role we just handed to sage-y.

Front office gets faith for what now?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read