Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2006   #1
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default Its Time - Charley Needs To Be Released

So, Free Agency has begun......and look whats still happening

Overpaying every single player we bring in.

Anthony Weaver - Decent starter,but, now getting paid like a pro-bowler....for the amount of GUARANTEED money we're gonna give him, we coulda brought in Bentley or some other younger, more PRO-BOWLish player

Sage Rosenfels - WHO ? AND WHY ??????????????????????????????? COME ON

Jameel Cook - 3rd string FB, from TB. At least he can catch balls, I guess that's what Casserly saw in him? Was FB really our top need that we had to get this guy right away, before we spent the money on a GOOD - LT or C or MLB or WR or TE or CB or FS ??????????

Texans TARGETS:
Mike Flanagan - Texans interested in Center who isn't bad at all, but, older, and history of knee problems

Bob Hallen - Texans interested in OG who is scouted as a little better than average........WOO HOO.....lets give him a Wiegert-type contract and get the (franchise) suicide over with.

Honestly....Weaver is a decent signing and fills a hole, but, we overspent.....AGAIN. Sage, well, that was USELESS.......just another STEP back. AND interest in two more OLD lineman........JUST WHAT WE NEED, thanks CHARLEY.

Why don't we take a run at C - Justin Hartwig, who is still young, with lots of PRIME years ahead of him. Why not OG - Stephen Neal, who is also young, with winning experience from New England ? Why didn't we go after LT Kevin Shaffer ?...who signed with the BROWNS.

I don't know how FLANAGAN and HALLEN are going to really boost this line ?

AND how about the other Charley CASH-EARLY signings.......DAVID CARR and STEVE MCKINNEY. WOW, maybe the 2 guys that I would've liked most on ANY OTHER team, for the upcoming year.

WOW, Casserly is already grading out to an F-, for this off-season.

Last edited by throwANDREtheBALL; 03-12-2006 at 02:39 AM.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hartwig signed with the Panthers and Bentley is being paid $10 million more than we are paying Weaver...
Old 03-12-2006   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Who wasnt happy with our progress before last year??? Most everyone was in agreement that the Texans were on the right track and it showed with steady improvement year after year. No doubt we had a major setback last year... but I truly feel that we are on the verge of a quick turnaround. Dom capers style of playing everything close just didnt fit with our horrid pass to sack ratio.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #4
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan

these types of signings by Casserly you have been criticizing didn't look so bad in 2004, did they? Let's chalk the whole thing up to JOE PENDRY syndrome and call it a day.

Capers really sucks too.
Old 03-12-2006   #5
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

It is not Casserly it is Ferens. Dan Ferens is responsible for just giving money out for no reason at all.

Last edited by Coach C.; 03-12-2006 at 06:32 AM.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #6
Aussie
Rookie

weaver is a solid signing givin his youth and overrall talent....i mean at least he is under 30 and has a brighter future than past.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie
weaver is a solid signing givin his youth and overrall talent....i mean at least he is under 30 and has a brighter future than past.
A solid signing? Are you serious. What about 30+ tackles and about 3.5 sacks is overly solid since he has been starting. OHHH it is because he played in a 34 defense and the year he was in a 43 he was hurt. Yeah. We have enough DTs we dont need a guy that is not overly adept at rushing the QB. I mean we could have put TJ at the strongside if we were going to go this route. I am not nearly impressed with this signing.
Old 03-12-2006   #8
angeltexus
Rookie

Default Here we go again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie
Everyone keeps saying Weaver is not much of a sach artist but has a motor that keeps running. Didn't we get rid of Capers with that kind of language. Again we are not getting a monster def rusher but a short slow roadbump and someone named Sage. Long year ahead in an Empty stadium
angeltexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #9
whiskeyrbl

AND how about the other Charley CASH-EARLY signings.......DAVID CARR and STEVE MCKINNEY. WOW, maybe the 2 guys that I would've liked most on ANY OTHER team, for the upcoming year.

Maybe this is a move to shore up the line immediately so we can draft a couple of OL's,that will have seasoned vets to learn from while we try to win some games by keeping Carr off his back.(so much)
Old 03-12-2006   #10
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL

I don't care who's idea it was to sign this guy, but I agree. Who is he???? Never heard of him. What make's him so special?
Old 03-12-2006   #11
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Fire Casserly...I dont beleive it is now time. I beleive it was now time last year.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #12
Trenches
Veteran

I dont live in Houston anymore so I dont hear as much as I used to so pardon my ignorance, but, what reason did they give for keeping Casserly around? Or was the blame placed on Capers? Our drafts have been poor at best and we are now about where we started as an expansion team. And at least then we had a decent defense.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches
I dont live in Houston anymore so I dont hear as much as I used to so pardon my ignorance, but, what reason did they give for keeping Casserly around? Or was the blame placed on Capers? Our drafts have been poor at best and we are now about where we started as an expansion team. And at least then we had a decent defense.
They pointed most of the blame at Capers and basically said they'd see what Casserly can do with the new coaching staff, but I think his contract is up after this coming season so I doubt he stays after the 2006 season unless we have a serious turnaround this season.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #14
CheckStation
Rookie

Default Texans: Stooge Ball Begins…Again.

Obviously, the Texans’ GM still has his ill-equipped fingers in the pie. It does not take a Bill Walsh to understand, nor “fix” the dilemma. Stooge Ball is once again, alive and well in Houston.

With the Texans in dire straights, desperate for talent and depth at virtually every position on both sides of the ball; we sign a Fullback. A position that most NFL teams are eliminating (and for good reason).

Weaver? He is slightly above average at his position, but he is not a dominate player. You would be hard pressed to find anyone in the NFL to disagree with that statement.

So, Front Office, here is your shopping list in order of urgency: Offensive Left Guard, Middle Linebacker, Offensive Right Tackle, Tight End, Cornerback, Defensive End, Wide Receiver, Strong Safety, Running Back.

Don’t even think about keeping your number one pick. The Texans could have Bush and Shaun Alexander in the same backfield and still produce another 2 and 14 season.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Overpaying every single player we bring in.

Anthony Weaver - Decent starter,but, now getting paid like a pro-bowler....for the amount of GUARANTEED money we're gonna give him, we coulda brought in Bentley or some other younger, more PRO-BOWLish player

Jameel Cook - 3rd string FB, from TB. At least he can catch balls, I guess that's what Casserly saw in him? Was FB really our top need that we had to get this guy right away, before we spent the money on a GOOD - LT or C or MLB or WR or TE or CB or FS ??????????

Texans TARGETS:
Mike Flanagan - Texans interested in Center who isn't bad at all, but, older, and history of knee problems

Bob Hallen - Texans interested in OG who is scouted as a little better than average........WOO HOO.....lets give him a Wiegert-type contract and get the (franchise) suicide over with.

Honestly....Weaver is a decent signing and fills a hole, but, we overspent.....AGAIN. Sage, well, that was USELESS.......just another STEP back. AND interest in two more OLD lineman........JUST WHAT WE NEED, thanks CHARLEY.

Why don't we take a run at C - Justin Hartwig, who is still young, with lots of PRIME years ahead of him. Why not OG - Stephen Neal, who is also young, with winning experience from New England ? Why didn't we go after LT Kevin Shaffer ?...who signed with the BROWNS.

WOW, Casserly is already grading out to an F-, for this off-season.[/quote]
CheckStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #15
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

The Weaver deal I can accept, and I think is a decent pick-up. Cook sounds good to me, so I'm not upset with that one. Rosefels baffles me though. I figured he and Saban were getting on the same page towards the end of the 2005-06 year, but I guess I was wrong. Also, I figured Ragone was going to be moved up to the #2 spot on the QB chart, and if anything, the Texans would get some scrub to fill the #3 spot as an emergency. I don't know...I still have faith in Kubiak...
Old 03-12-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why are you guys jumping all over Casserly when he's just doing what Kubiak is telling him to do?

Not over the 2-14 hangover yet?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus

Why are you guys jumping all over Casserly when he's just doing what Kubiak is telling him to do?

probably because the boss man makes the decisions. Charley Casserly is here...and there is no sense pretending he isn't. This offseason looks like Casserly's previous offseasons so far.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #18
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus

My thoughts exactly. Kubiak praised casserly in the newspaper today for getting these guys. The coaching staff wanted these guys, but most of you on this board seem to know more than the coaches, etc. and probably did know more than the previous coaching staff, but, give these new guys a chance.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #19
Snapple
Veteran

If Charlie Casserly has no say in what players we get, then what the Hell is his JOB? If Kubiak is asking for players and McNair is signing the checks, does Casserly just sit on his thumbs all day and get paid? I still don't understand what he's done to deserve keeping his job.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #20
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

At this point I don't think Casserly is doing anything other than what he is TOLD to do by either McNair or Kubiak. He's got to be on an extremely short leash and there is NO WAY he's doing anything on his own.

That being said, I don't have a problem with any of the 3 signings they've made so far. Weaver is a young DE who has a chance to blossom if he stays healthy in a 4-3. Cook and Roselfels are backups, but they are decent and improve our depth.

And keep in mind that the most coveted FAs aren't going to be that easy to get in here. Guys like Bentley you will have to back up the brinks truck and even then you'll have other teams matching the money. And when you're coming off a 2-14 season it makes even harder...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read