Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2006   #1
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125
Default Flanagan to visit...

Texans | Flanagan will visit team Saturday
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:13:45 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent C Mike Flanagan (Packers) will visit with the Houston Texans on Saturday, March 11.

heres something i kind of figured considering sherman and all...
Old 03-11-2006   #2
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind him. He's a little older, but he can't do any worse than McKinney at center last year.

ESPN has him ranked at 7 among all centers.
Old 03-11-2006   #3
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

If we get Flanagan, does that mean the Texans will pass on Mangold, if he's still available with out next pick.
Old 03-11-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

probably...they would project him to start over Hodgdon I assume. No way we would go with 3 centers on the roster.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #5
Dunta_23
All Pro

Maybe Hogdon will play guard and they will select Mangold to learn under Flanagan? just speculation of course.

Pitts-McKinney-Flanagan/Mangold-Hogdon-Wade/Wand?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Maybe Hogdon will play guard and they will select Mangold to learn under Flanagan? just speculation of course.

I would think they would keep Hodgdon at C and move Mangold to G if anything, I wouldn't be opposed to still getting Mangold in that situation, but I'm not sure I see the Texans doing that. It sounds like they really like Chris Chester, the C/G out of Oklahoma, and I would love to see him in our zone blocking scheme after his impressive Combine, and it sounds like he impressed at his pro day too. The combination of liking Chester, signing McKinney, and maybe signing Flanagan would likely rule out Mangold.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23

I would flip that around and let Hogdon learn from Flanagan and let Mangold play guard. If this did happen I would look at LB's in the second round Thomas Howard, Ernie Sims, and Abdul Hodges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2006   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah i would think so if we signed flanagan then hodgdon would be the primary back-up and there would be no need to draft mangold...flanagan is like 32 or 33 yrs old he would give drew adequate time to develop and in 2-3 years be able to take the starting job with a smooth transition
Old 03-11-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
yeah i would think so if we signed flanagan then hodgdon would be the primary back-up and there would be no need to draft mangold...flanagan is like 32 or 33 yrs old he would give drew adequate time to develop and in 2-3 years be able to take the starting job with a smooth transition
But we could draft Mangold to play backup guard for a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
That would depend on whether you think Mangold could play guard. Also, while Hodgdon started 4 games, he was a 5th round pick and has done nothing to preclude the Texans from taking another interior OLman.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherman is o line coach, right?

This has his fingerprints all over it, which is fine with me. One of the great things about acquiring other teams' coaches is that they have the inside scoop on at least "their" players and if they would make a nice fit with us.

At this point, I think it's a pretty good bet that with the addition of a great run blocking FB and the very possible addition of a veteran C in Flanagan, we're looking at drafting Reggie Bush. Or, trading and grabbing 'Brick for what could be a pretty decent o line for a change.

There's no way we're drafting Vince Young, guys and gals
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #12
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
we might not draft vince young, but it wouldn't have anything to do with upgrading at center and fb, regardless of who is playing at rb we want the blocking to be good.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the prospect of Flanagan being here. Finally something that makes sense.
Old 03-11-2006   #14
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
So if we drafted Vince Young, we wouldn't want to upgrade the interior of the line and the fullback position?

As the above poster said, we might not select Vince Young, but these signings have nothing to do with that.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #15
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Exclamation

aint that the truth!
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #16
GoBlue
Rookie

This would be even better than Cook or Weaver- an upgrade on the O-line? who wudda thunk?
Old 03-11-2006   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default So we didn't sign Flanagan? :(

Looks like we went 3 for 4 today. I hope it is only because Flanagan wants to see every option before making his final decision. Not because he doesn't want to be a Texan.
Old 03-11-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker
Looks like we went 3 for 4 today. I hope it is only because Flanagan wants to see every option before making his final decision. Not because he doesn't want to be a Texan.
I don't know if it necessarily means we aren't going to get him, but I don't really know why we'd sign a 32-year old OLineman anyways, we'd probably end up overpaying him like we've done with the rest of our OLinemen. I'd prefer to have Hodgdon and look for Mangold or Eslinger in the draft than overpay an aging veteran (hopefully we're looking at Chris Chester in the 4th-5th round anyways, he played C in college and could be a C or G for us, and would be a great fit in our zone blocking scheme).
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #19
samomin
Veteran

I like him at center, even if we overpay (just a little though) for his services. Didn't he take over the LT spot for Green Bay when Chad Clifton got blindsided by Sapp few years ago? I might be mixing up the players but if its true then he is versatile also. (Edit: Clifton took over the Center spot when Flanagan was injured[see below], not sure about Flanagan playing T. Probably didn't happen but I can't comfirm it). From the Packers site:

Quote:
# Had season-ending surgery Oct. 7, 2004, to alleviate recurring knee tendinitis after the level of pain became unmanageable for him. Though the decision to undergo surgery limited him to three regular-season games a year ago, it also likely prevented him from suffering a more serious, career-threatening injury down the line
# Overcoming the long shadow of injury early in his professional career, had built a games-played streak of 82 (87 counting playoffs) prior to having his 2004 season cut short by knee tendinitis issue
# During the 2001-03 seasons when he was an every-game starter, Green Bay allowed an NFL-low 68 sacks. Culminated that successful three-year stretch by making his first Pro Bowl following the 03 campaign the first Packers center to be named to the all-star squad since 1996
# Had current Packers head coach Mike Sherman as his offensive line coach for one season (1994) at UCLA

Last edited by samomin; 03-12-2006 at 12:00 AM.
samomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #20
whiskeyrbl

C 2 Kevin Mawae UFA 12 6-4/289 LSU /NY Jets
C 3 Mike Flanagan UFA 10 6-5/297 UCLA /Green Bay
C 4 Justin Hartwig UFA 4 6-4/300 Kansas /Tennessee
C 5 Jeff Mitchell UFA 8 6-4/300 Florida /Carolina
C 6 Seth McKinney UFA 4 6-3/300 Texas A&M/ Miami
C 7 Trey Teague UFA 8 6-5/290 Tennessee/ Buffalo
C 8 Cory Raymer UFA 11 6-2/300 Wisconsin /Washington
C 9 Melvin Fowler UFA 4 6-3/295 Maryland/ Minnesota
C 10 Cory Withrow UFA 6 6-2/287 Washington State/ Minnesota
C 11 Jon Dorenbos UFA 3 6-0/250 UTEP /Tennessee
C 12 Billy Conaty UFA 9 6-2/300 Virginia Tech/ Arizona
C 13 Andre Gurode UFA 4 6-4/316 Colorado /Dallas
C 14 Austin King RFA 3 6-6/303 Northwestern/ Atlanta
C 15 Mike Schneck UFA 7 6-0/237 Wisconsin/ Buffalo
C 16 Joe Iorio UFA 2 6-2/300 Penn State NY/ Giants
C 17 Brock Gutierrez UFA 8 6-3/304 Central Michigan/ Detroit
Here is a look at the remaining C in FA as listed by www.foxsports.com

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read