Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2006   #1
samomin
Veteran

Default DE Tony Weaver signed

According to ESPN:

Quote:
Dream Weaver: The Houston Texans are hot after Ravens defensive end Anthony Weaver. Weaver will be one of their first interviews, and the Texans are expected to try go sign him over the weekend.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2363621

Man they do really mean it when they say they won't be big players in free agency. I hope we go after a more established DE.

Last edited by samomin; 03-11-2006 at 12:58 AM.
samomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #2
whiskeyrbl

What a ste of ends that would be if we can sign Weaver then draft Super Mario!! Not a bad pair of bookends.
Old 03-11-2006   #3
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

He sure had a lot of DNP's this year..... Was he injured?
Old 03-11-2006   #4
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by samomin
According to ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2363621

Man they do really mean it when they say they won't be big players in free agency. I hope we go after a more established DE.
...and by "more established" do you mean John Abraham? maybe the new d-coaches like what they see in weaver. let's give them a chance.
Old 03-11-2006   #5
samomin
Veteran

Well not somebody as high profile as Abraham. Proven might be the better word, I was looking at Kampman but he already re-signed. I guess I have a bad taste left from the previous coaches whenever there is a mention of "potential".
Old 03-11-2006   #6
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

scouting report from espn.com:

Weaver has adequate size for the position and the versatility to be able to move inside and play the tackle position. He has very good foot quickness and an explosive get off. He has good running ability, plays with a high level of energy and shows the ability to run plays down from the back side. He comes off the ball, plays with good leverage and shows that he has very good strength in both his upper and lower body. He is capable of controlling the line of scrimmage and you rarely see him get knocked off the ball. He has good hand placement and excellent use of his hands in shedding blockers and also in pass rush. He has a very strong bull rush, shows that he can collapse the pocket and has a good variety of pass rush techniques that he can use. He has very good play recognition, redirects to the ball well and has good closing speed to the quarterback. He has the foot quickness to be effective in executing line stunts and shows good body control and change of direction skills. He has good quickness and good running ability but does not do a good job of finishing plays. He lacks the ideal speed to be able to turn the corner as an edge rusher and is not the aggressive bone jarring tackler that you would like to see in the open field. He can hold his own in a one-on-one situation but needs to become more consistent verses a double-team block. Overall, he is a good steady player who is not clearly dominant as either a defensive end or as a defensive tackle.
Old 03-11-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
He sure had a lot of DNP's this year..... Was he injured?

12/14/2005 --- Questionable --- Knee/back
12/7/2005 --- Doubtful --- Back
12/2/2005 --- Probable --- Back
11/2/2005 --- Doubtful --- Toe
10/26/2005 --- Questionable --- Toe
10/19/2005 --- Out --- Toe
10/12/2005 --- Out --- Toe
10/5/2005 --- Out --- Toe

Looks like a Gary Walker in training.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I want to believe that Reeves, Sherman, and Kubiak will curb Cass' impulse to spend on this mid-level joke of a small DT.
Old 03-11-2006   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver is a solid starting calibur strong-side DE. does not have a ton of untapped potential and probably not going to be a double digit sack guy, but is solid against the run and does get some push.

As for injury last year was the first time he missed significant time with injury over his 4 year career. Every team needs guy like Weaver, you just don't want to overpay for them.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #10
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to keep the faith in the new coaches - but this little FA deal seems to have Casserly's name written all over it.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #11
Aussie
Rookie

adding weaver would be fine to me cause he has descent talent but he aint no game breaker so it would have to be at a good price.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
... mid-level joke of a small DT.
Quote:
Weaver, a former second-round pick, has been the Ravens' most consistent lineman since starting as a rookie in 2002. But he feels the Ravens are willing to let him walk based on the way (contract) negotiations have been going.

"I feel like I've been put on the back burner a little bit," Weaver said. "I don't take it personal. I'm not upset at the Ravens. It's just the way I see it."
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...orts-headlines
Old 03-11-2006   #13
bdiddy
Veteran

Weaver would be an upgrade to anyone on our roster at the strong-side DE position so I do not know why everyone is hating on him. The Texans are looking to upgrade multiple positions, just because they do not sign what fans preceive to be a big name does not mean the team is not getting better. Weaver has good strength and quickness. He will never be in the top 10 in the league in sacks, but is very effective against the run and is an adequate pass rushers. If we sign him, I would foresee he and Babin playing on running situations and then Peek coming in on the weak side on passing situations. DE is a VERY expensive position, I think this would be a good choice and could add value to the team at a need position.
Old 03-11-2006   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

He was a decent 3-4 lineman when he was drafted. Why because he is a DT. That is what you pick for the 34 defense. Now that he was placed in the 43 it was all about Terrel Suggs. AJ so what are you trying to tell me. I know about Weaver have followed him for a minute now, thought he would be a good fit for us especially running the 34, but we dont run that defense. Look for him to hopefully land with Cleveland where he could be successful.
Old 03-11-2006   #15
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I would be happy with Weaver. Played on one of the best defenses of all time and he plays a position we sorley need, Strong side DE. We need these type of players, unless we are going to draft Mario.
Old 03-11-2006   #16
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
He was a decent 3-4 lineman when he was drafted. Why because he is a DT. That is what you pick for the 34 defense. Now that he was placed in the 43 it was all about Terrel Suggs. AJ so what are you trying to tell me. I know about Weaver have followed him for a minute now, thought he would be a good fit for us especially running the 34, but we dont run that defense. Look for him to hopefully land with Cleveland where he could be successful.
The last two seasons have been the first time the Ravens have not had their base D out of a 43, if im no mistaken. He has played SDE in a 4-3 and has performed well.
Old 03-11-2006   #17
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

They just recently switched back to a 43-46 set. When he was drafted they were a 34 team.
Old 03-11-2006   #18
bdiddy
Veteran

I am very familiar with Weaver as he played from where I went to college.

He played strong side DE his entire to at Notre Dame. Additionally, he was widely regarded as the strongest person on the team during his last two years. High character guy with a nonstop motor. I think he would be a good leader to help change some of the dynamics of the D-Line, namely led by whining Gary "my toe hurts" Walker.
Old 03-11-2006   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
AJ so what are you trying to tell me. .
You called him a joke and the Ravens beat writer called him the Ravens most consistent linemen for the last four seasons. Just a little juxtaposition to inspire debate.

I haven't really watched him except for when the Ravens played the Texans so I don't have as much insight into the guy as others who regularly watch the Ravens might have.

Last edited by aj.; 03-11-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really hoping all this 43 talk is only a ruse and the Texans modify the 34 with the personel they already invested in, I see no reason why with good coaching the 34 cannot work here. just look at the last 4 or 5 Superbowls both Pittsburgh and New England use the 34. I don't know much about Weaver but to get him they'll have to pay millions at least he seems to fit both schemes so when Walker is released slid right into his role
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read