Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-07-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The latest Jets rumor and my dream scenario

So the Jets are supposedly talking with Atlanta to trade Abraham for the #15 pick.

Personally..I dont see them trading two first rounders for the #1.. they have needs to fill as well.. but getting that #15 pick does give them some options. Also, they will supposedly be getting a 3rd round compensatory pick since they lost Lamont Jordan.

Anyway..here is my dream scenario.

The Jets trade us the #4, #35, #71.. for our #1. The Jets would then have the #1, #15, and their 3rd round compensatory.. not bad for them.. and not bad for us either. Here is how id like to see the first day go for us.

#4: Mario Williams DE
#33: Ko Simpson FS
#35: Eric Winston/Marcus McNiel OT
#65: Richard Marshall CB
#66: Jason Spitz OG
#71: David Thomas TE

Our Defense will actually be very young at key positions. We will have our Dline locked down.. and our secondary will look VERY nice (and be made up of 3 South Carolina grads..incidentally)

Our offense on the other hand gets a TE to start working with, and an OT and OG to groom and possibly start.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

why would we do that trade?

The #1 pick in this draft is more valuable than 1, 35, and 71.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
why would we do that trade?

The #1 pick in this draft is more valuable than 1, 35, and 71.
because it's unlikely that casserly is going to convince a team to sell the farm, and two extra early first round picks in such a strong draft would be huge.
Old 03-08-2006   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
because it's unlikely that casserly is going to convince a team to sell the farm, and two extra early first round picks in such a strong draft would be huge.
That trade does not involve two extra first round picks. The absolute worst thaing that could happen is for the Texans to trade the number 1 for less than value.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

oops, meant to say first day*
Old 03-08-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
That trade does not involve two extra first round picks. The absolute worst thaing that could happen is for the Texans to trade the number 1 for less than value.
Is it really? That trade is below value, but if I had faith the staff could make good choices on 3 top 70 choices rather than 1 number 1, I have to think the overall result for the Texans is probably a good thing. 6 guys in the top 71?--that could be huge.
Old 03-08-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Even though this is a deep draft, there is a major difference between first round talent and 3rd round talent. Next year is another very deep draft, one that could be potentially stronger than this one depending on which Juniors declare for the draft. I would rather like to have the chance to draft someone high in next seasons draft then I would for the 71st pick of this season.

David Thomas or Calvin Johnson? I would take Calvin Johnson
Marcus McNeil or Joe Thomas? I would take Joe Thomas.

I'm sure that the Chargers really regret getting Shawn Merriman instead of Chris Snee from Boston College
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

57 tackles, 10 sacks, 4 passes defensed.

Somehow I doubt they are crying in their pillow tonight.

btw.. this trade.. according to the draft value chart.. we are only off by 415 points. Not exactly a huge amount when you consider the depth of this draft, and just how much talent there is available on the first day. As much as I would like to get two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for our pick.. its just not going to happen. Not with the depth in this draft, not with our limited cap space.
Old 03-08-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I'm sure that the Chargers really regret getting Shawn Merriman instead of Chris Snee from Boston College
Well that's nice and all, but not really the issue. As I understand what he is saying, it is #1 for #4, #35 and #71.

In most direct terms last year that would have been: Alex Smith for Cedric Benson, Reggie Brown and Alex Smith (TE). The year before it would have been Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers, Igor Olshansky and Randy Starks. Not seeing the giant value problems with those scenarios.
Old 03-08-2006   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

This is a special draft so the value chart is thrown out the window. Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart are better talents than Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Eli Manning, Braylon Edwards, Phillip Rivers, and all of the other top talents over the past few years.

I believe that having an elite talent is more valuable than having a good player in a deep draft. With the way that the Jets are cleaning house, there is a very good chance that they will once again have a top 5 pick next year. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had the #1 overall. I would rather pick up an elite talent in next years draft instead of getting a good player from this draft in the second or third round.
Old 03-08-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

this draft is also different in that there are about 40 players graded as 1st round talent.. as opposed to the normal 15-20.

In other words... the greatness of the top of the draft is canceled out by the depth of talent.
Old 03-08-2006   #12
Scooter
Funky

if we could swap this year's third for next year's first in that scenario i'd be all over it aswell, because next year's draft already looks very promising. what i'm argueing is that if this were any other year and you were guaranteed to have your choice of d'brick (no real comparisson, you couldnt sculpt a better fit for the zone scheme) or super mario (being compared to peppers), along with five other top 71 picks, what would you do? even with a weak draft, you're going to get atleast 3 first game starters (on a 2-14 team with a strong draft & new head coach, that scenario has the potential for craziness next season). rookie salaries, filling holes, developing players for the long term. where's the flaw?
Old 03-08-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

The jets wouldnt do it..

Honestly..think about it.. do the Jets really have any big reason to move up to #1? they need linemen too..they could get Dbrick.. they could use Williams.. they could use a QB if Vince Young slides..or Jay Cutler.

Moving up to #1 is appealing to them..but they arent going to sell their soul to get it. This deal is good because it is beneficial for them, and it allows us to trade down and get two more picks on the first day, and get the player we really need at the same time... Mario Williams.
Old 03-08-2006   #14
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
The Jets trade us the #4, #35, #71.. for our #1. The Jets would then have the #1, #15, and their 3rd round compensatory.. not bad for them.. and not bad for us either. Here is how id like to see the first day go for us.
I would like this trade too.

While it may be below "value," I think it would be great for us....and a scenario that the Jets would actually consider.

We pick up extra picks in a very deep draft overall, and we still have a top five pick. If you think about it, there will still be great players available at #4...it's not all that big of a drop-off from the #1. And Bush may even still be available for all of you Bush advocates, although I would much rather take Super Mario in that scenario.
Old 03-08-2006   #15
Scooter
Funky

i've written out my adamant arguement without posting it repeatedly, but i need to hear it from someone using the terms ... what is an "elite player" or "playmaker"?
Old 03-08-2006   #16
slamdunc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Is it really? That trade is below value, but if I had faith the staff could make good choices on 3 top 70 choices rather than 1 number 1, I have to think the overall result for the Texans is probably a good thing. 6 guys in the top 71?--that could be huge.
The other possibility no one is mentioning is the ability to package those extra first day picks (6 in first 71 picks) and move back up to the second and draft someone they really want. Just so long as it isn't a Babin!
slamdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #17
slamdunc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunc
The other possibility no one is mentioning is the ability to package those extra first day picks (6 in first 71 picks) and move back up to the second and draft someone they really want. Just so long as it isn't a Babin!
I would not be in favor of doing that in all reality...too many holes to fill. Just pointing a possibility
slamdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
i've written out my adamant arguement without posting it repeatedly, but i need to hear it from someone using the terms ... what is an "elite player" or "playmaker"?
Something that is very easy to define in hindsight, but rarely more than an educated guess in foresight. It seems there are many who are considered "elite players" pre-draft, but usually very few after a couple of years.

Just my

p.s. Veterans are much easier to categorize as elite players, of course.
Old 03-08-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes the points do not add up, but it does not matter to me since getting the impact player of the draft at #4 and not having to pay him #1 money will make up for the points. Mario Willliams is the guy.
Old 03-08-2006   #20
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not trading this pick unless I get two first round picks and a second round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read