Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron: Texans' Casserly ready to shop free agency

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3703191.html

NFL FREE AGENCY
Let the buyer prepare
Free agency is coming at some point, and Texans general manager Charley Casserly will be ready to shop when it is

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Texans general manager Charley Casserly was ready for free agency to begin last Friday. The NFL's delays have only prolonged his wait.

With no salary-cap issues to sweat over like many of the league's other franchises, Casserly spent the waiting period scanning the expanding list of available free agents and preparing for the draft.

The NFL and its players' union have been unable to strike a deal, but they're still talking, and free agency is coming late Wednesday night after a three-day delay approved by the league and union Sunday.

Casserly is prepared.

"We're ready but not anxious or disappointed," he said. "Obviously if a new agreement is reached there will be more cap room for everybody. But we're ready to operate either way."

Casserly is hardly the only one ready for free agency to begin. The Texans' unrestricted free agents were waiting to find out if they will be relocating.

Of the Texans' 10 unrestricted free agents, only wide receiver Jabar Gaffney (13 starts), guard Milford Brown (12) and linebacker DaShon Polk (11) were regular starters last season. Wide receiver Corey Bradford and running back Jonathan Wells started at different points throughout the season and saw
significant playing time.

Those five will be the most sought after of the Texans' unrestricted free agents as they begin the process of talking with other teams. In the past few weeks, the Texans have been able to talk with their free agents, but they have agreed to terms with only guard Fred Weary.

"We'd like to bring them all back, but we'll see what happens," Cas- serly said.

Wells im- proved his free-agent stock when he started four games at running back in place of the injured Domanick Davis last season. Wells finished the season with 325 rushing yards on 90 carries.

"That playing time was huge," said Wells, Davis' backup the past three years and the lead blocker for Pro Bowl kick returner Jerome Mathis last season. "I got an opportunity to showcase my talent, and I showed what I can do with the ball if I get it in my hands."

Wells could command more money and playing time elsewhere. The Texans are in a bind with him because they are deciding whether to draft running back Reggie Bush.

With Davis locked into a long-term deal and Vernand Morency coming off his rookie season, the Texans would have an abundance of running backs.

Wells said he would like to return to the Texans, especially with coach Gary Kubiak bringing in the Broncos' offensive scheme, which focuses on the running game.

"I'd definitely like to be part of that offense," Wells said. "That's one of the main reasons I'd like to stay."

Gaffney and Bradford have been staples of the Texans' offense since its inaugural season. The Texans might seek more of a playmaker to help spread the defense away from Andre Johnson, but new schemes brought in by the new Texans coaching staff could improve Gaffney and Bradford's production.

Brown, who made just four starts in his previous three seasons, was a mainstay on a offensive line riddled with injuries. Brown, a sixth-round pick for the Texans in the 2002 supplemental draft, took advantage of his playing time and became a solid contributor.

Defensively, the Texans have fewer questions. Polk is the main one after having a breakout season upon replacing the injured Kailee Wong.

Polk, a six-year veteran, saw the most extensive playing time of his career.

He said hopes it opened the eyes of scouts and the new Texans coaches.

"Every day it gets closer. You get nervous," Polk said. "You've got family and people calling you wanting to find out what's going on and where you're going to play.

"You just have to stay humble, stay relaxed and be prepared for whatever happens. I'm not going to panic.

"I'm just going to let things unfold on their own."
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #2
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Give em Hell Chuck. Give em Hell.

Well, don't overpay or get players similar to your previous FA attempts.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #3
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kind of hoping for some Todd Wade/Morlon Greenwood type signings. Bring on the clones! :brickwall
Old 03-07-2006   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets just hope that McNair and Kubiak keep Casserly on a very short leash .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe it will be easier for the Texans to address the pass rush rather than LT protection, hence a nod to Ferguson if the Texans are able to trade down.

Obvioiusly the first name that comes up is the Jets John Abraham who they franchised but will want to move for a high draft pick, certainly not worth the #1 pick alone but some form of package deal may be in the works.

Aaron Kampman could be reunited with his coach from GB or the Saints may be unable to keep Darren Howard.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I really dont like the Abreham idea ..... unless they are willing to give up the #4 this year , next years #1 and Abe for the #1 overall ..... after thats settled I want to work out a long term deal prior to agreeing to the trade .... a cap friendly contract at that .

So I drive a hard bargin ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #7
TreWardTxn
Veteran

If this whole free agency thing is on hold, then why are there reports that Laroi Glover has "signed" with the Rams. Even if we couldn't actually sign players, we could be agreeing in principle to contracts, or have some chatter going on about who the Texans are actually talking to. I haven't heard a thing, which makes me think they hardly have a clue as to what they're going to do yet. Please, somebody tell me how wrong I am...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2006   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

if we can sign trevor pryce and isaac bruce we'll be sitting pretty come draft day
Old 03-07-2006   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreWardTxn
If this whole free agency thing is on hold, then why are there reports that Laroi Glover has "signed" with the Rams. Even if we couldn't actually sign players, we could be agreeing in principle to contracts, or have some chatter going on about who the Texans are actually talking to. I haven't heard a thing, which makes me think they hardly have a clue as to what they're going to do yet. Please, somebody tell me how wrong I am...
They were able to sign him because he was released right out. He wasn't a UFA like most FAs are this season
Old 03-07-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Ok to way in on Casserly and Free Agency. We are a great organization, and hopefully he realizes we no longer have to overspend. People see our talent we have a new offensive minded and young free thinking coaching staff that will attract players, and did I mention no state tax.

Players I Hope to See:
Chris Hope FS- the guy is not that big, but plays huge. He had better stats than his counterpart Polamalu and he will be pretty coveted. A rotation of Hope, CC, and Earl is a nice safety net for our CBs and new aggressive defense.
Teyo Johnson TE- young high draft pick tight end with worlds of talent and a missunderstood attitude. The kid can play, and he will make drafting a high round TE less of a need
LeCharles Bentley C/G- this is a wishlist guy. We all know his talent, but I doubt we can get him. He will ask for tackle type money and that is just more than we should be willing to spend on an interior lineman especially considering Chris Chester in this draft.
Jeb Putzier or Matt Shcobel- I know Matt's brother and they are cool guys and Matt would make Bruener not needed. Jeb is the same way but likely with better hands(sorry Matt if you read this). Either way cant go wrong but still want the more athletic Johnson.
One Tackle- I dont care who as long as we dont overspend for him and he can possibly play LG. I think McKinney needs to restructure or he needs to go and Weigert should restructure and play for a couple of more years. A backup possible starter that comes at value would do a great service for our team.
Old 03-07-2006   #11
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

Am I the only one that could almost care less about Free Agency, since we still have Casserly?

I fear its just gonna be a bunch more average players, that sign for more than they are worth. Who we will be trying to "re-structure" the contracts of after next year, cuz they'll just be eating cap space from the good players that we want to pick up.

If we had any other GM in the world, I'd actually be extatic!!!
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Teyo Johnson got cut last season by the Raiders. I remember his name popping up on these boards when he got cut. A lot of fans wanted the Texans to at least pick him up and give him a shot. I agree that he has great potential but there has to be more to the story than we know because teams just were not interested in him when he was cut.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we just want Teyo Johnson because his rookie card was for sell on our website or is he really good?

Anyhow, weren't we told that this year we would be a major player in FA. I know the 4 year plan indicated being a contender by this year but it also included stepping up our game in FA this year.

Does that change or enhance our FA this year just because we weren't contending for the playoffs this past year?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #14
teamplaya
Rookie

Andre Carter would be nice pick on the d-line if he can get back to his old self he was a upcoming d end untill San Fran moved to a 3-4 and Carter has the size at 6'4 275 and has proven he can play end in the nfl his best sack season is 13 in 02 but may take sometime to get back to his self since hes been playing linebacker for the 49ers and here is a write up on him i found

2006 scouting report
Strengths: Has great quickness and explosiveness and can get upfield in a hurry. Has great pocket awareness, doesn’t allow offensive tackles to ride him past the quarterback and has perfected his pass-rush technique. Has great counter moves and works hard with his hands. Uses his long arms to create separation, always plays with great leverage and has great closing speed to the quarterback. Is relentless, and his speed and quickness make him good at stunts and twists. Has good instincts on the edge.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal strength, has a difficult time maintaining control of the line of scrimmage vs. the run and struggles with double-teams.

Bottom line: Carter never will be a dominant player vs. the run because of his poor bulk and strength, but he more than makes up for that in his movement and ability to rush the passer.

Last edited by teamplaya; 03-07-2006 at 02:47 PM.
teamplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #15
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Ok to way in on Casserly and Free Agency. We are a great organization, and hopefully he realizes we no longer have to overspend. People see our talent we have a new offensive minded and young free thinking coaching staff that will attract players, and did I mention no state tax.

Players I Hope to See:
Chris Hope FS- the guy is not that big, but plays huge. He had better stats than his counterpart Polamalu and he will be pretty coveted. A rotation of Hope, CC, and Earl is a nice safety net for our CBs and new aggressive defense.
Teyo Johnson TE- young high draft pick tight end with worlds of talent and a missunderstood attitude. The kid can play, and he will make drafting a high round TE less of a need
LeCharles Bentley C/G- this is a wishlist guy. We all know his talent, but I doubt we can get him. He will ask for tackle type money and that is just more than we should be willing to spend on an interior lineman especially considering Chris Chester in this draft.
Jeb Putzier or Matt Shcobel- I know Matt's brother and they are cool guys and Matt would make Bruener not needed. Jeb is the same way but likely with better hands(sorry Matt if you read this). Either way cant go wrong but still want the more athletic Johnson.
One Tackle- I dont care who as long as we dont overspend for him and he can possibly play LG. I think McKinney needs to restructure or he needs to go and Weigert should restructure and play for a couple of more years. A backup possible starter that comes at value would do a great service for our team.
People say they are concerned about Casserly overpaying for average talent and this is one of the guys (IMO) on the danger list for this to happen too. Yeah, I know he has comparable numbers to Polamalu, but Troy has an impact on that defense that can not be measured by his #'s alone. His ability to blitz and pressure the QB alone takes an enormous amount of pressure off the secondary. In fact, his versatility is what allows guys like Hope to just sit back and play center field. All he has to know how to do is not get beat deep, not that hard. We can find our own 3rd or 4th round pick this year who can do that for us, we don't need to spend any $$s on him.

Schobel and Putzier are the two best TE prospects, although I think the Broncos realized that Putz is not producing as they expected, which is why he's free (the cap is going to be fixed).

C/G-The Texans are better off trying to land Mangold (not likely) or Eslinger (more likely) Both guys ran similar blocking styles in college and are already familiar with zone schemes. Eslinger is already accustomed to making all the blocking audibles at the line, smart guy...
Old 03-07-2006   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

TreWard your name holds a special place to my heart, but past that let's look at your post.

Ok Hope calls the secondary plays so he is very important to the Steelers, but if he wants top 5 safety money then he can go somewhere else because Daniel Bullocks may last till the third and if not him Blue and some of the others will.

Shobel and Putz are just solid guys, but they are nothing special. I will still stay on the Teyo bandwagon till the guy proves that he cannot play. He was the starter in Oakland before he shot his mouth off to Turner. He has tons of talent, but his attitude must be looked at.

C/G I totally agree and Mangold may be an option in the second if he falls. Not sure on that since Pittsburgh can take him and be solid or Jets make a trade and get him at 29 or something to replace Mawae. Eslinger is nice dont know if he can play G, but he has run zone scheme his whole college career so he is definately an option as is Chris Chester.
Old 03-08-2006   #17
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Hope is the guy who makes the calls because he is furthest from the line of scrimmage, Troy is too busy making plays in the box. Either way, I think you generally agreed that Bullocks or Blue (or Simpson) will be able to get the job done at a fraction of the price. A trained monkey can read hand signals coming in from the sideline, literally.

Agreed, "most solid TEs" would have been a better go than "best." I would bring Teyo in also if a roster spot was available for short money.
Old 03-08-2006   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno if I should be excited or scared to death. Casserly in FA, up to this point, has been like playing russian roulette with an automatic pistol.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #19
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I dunno if I should be excited or scared to death. Casserly in FA, up to this point, has been like playing russian roulette with an automatic pistol.
LOL...very true.

I have to say that I'm a little excited this time around though b/c I think Casserly's hands are tied a little at this point...and I have faith that Kubiak will ultimately make the decisions as far as who to go after.
Old 03-09-2006   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Another Teyo Johnson posting? Are we ever going to get rid of the guy that has never been on our team? Look up the old thread, he's a Billy Miller type guy. The Raiders dropped him, not like they have an abundance of talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read