Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2006   #1
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default Some News on Wells and Polk

Texans | Wells would like to return, but could go elsewhere
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 01:11:09 -0800

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans RB Jonathan Wells, a soon-to-be free agent, said he would like to return to the Texans now that Gary Kubiak is their head coach. However, with the team deep at running back and possibly looking to draft RB Reggie Bush (USC) with the No. 1 pick overall, he may command more money and playing time elsewhere.

Texans | Polk hopes season boosted value
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 01:10:40 -0800

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans LB DaShon Polk, a soon-to-be free agent, said he hopes his playing time and production during the 2005 season opened the eyes of the scouts and the team's new coaches. Polk said he is trying to stay calm as free agency approaches and will let it unfold on its own.
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #2
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

That sounds good. I hope we bring wells back. I would not mind polk coming back, I just don't know how he fits into the new system.
Old 03-06-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
That sounds good. I hope we bring wells back. I would not mind polk coming back, I just don't know how he fits into the new system.
I think given our situation at MLB, we have to resign this guy because he played with the team and truthfully he played well enough to contest anyone we have right now at MLB for the starting spot.

Now if we end up signing some other big name then he is free to go.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I dont care if either comes back, they both can be replaced with low round draft picks or possibly cheaper FA. They are both solid players more useful on ST than in the lineup. Wells should comand some looks and Polk will get some looks from teams like Seattle, Baltimore if the lose Bart Scott, Indy, and the like.
Old 03-06-2006   #5
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am with Coach on this thought. Out of the two of them I would retain Polk over Wells. But either one isn't an irreplacable loss or hardship to the team. Wells gets alot of hype for being a special teams player. But rookies can fill that role just as well. For a big guy type RB, Wells is very disappointing. Let him seek employment elsewhere, if he even gets the invitation.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree that Wells has been disappointing. When we have needed him to step up and start.. he has put up more than servicable numbers.

On top of that he provides depth at two positions.. AND he is a special teams standout.

its not that he is some amazing talent that we cant let go.. its that he is very vesatile and provides great depth, AND does well on special teams. I think we would be hard pressed to replace him with a rookie who can do what he does.

Polk showed his potential last season and id definatly like to see him return. The price needs to be right... he hasnt proven anything yet, so he shouldnt get the money of a proven player..but if it is at all possible id like to bring him back to see if he can continue to grow.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am of the opinion that Wells special teams contributions is a fantasy perpetuated by someone, somewhere, for some unknown reason, personally. I sat in the stadium last season and made it a point to specifically watch Wells during kick off returns and I gotta say I didn't see ANYTHING special about him at all. In fact alot of times he was the left side of the Wedge Blockers and didn't even pick up anyone and block them.

I have made it a point to watch Wells on Special teams plays and I don't see anything he did at all that any rookie couldn't do. So IMHO, he doesn't warrent the 'great special teams guy' tag, that seems to perpetually be placed on him.

I will give him credit for last season playing alot better than any of his previous season's as a RB. But he still isn't special enough or 'plays big hard pounding' type RB enough to warrent returning as our #2 RB position, IMHO. Honestly I am glad he was still there at the end of the season and un-injured, unlike the rest of our RB corp. But he just doesn't play as tough and big as his physical stats suggest he could do.

just my opinion though.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2006   #8
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

If he would continue to progress (like he did last season, IMO) I'd like to see us keep him. You gotta have that '3 yds & a cloud of dust' type of back in your arsenal. Who else do we currently have that fits that mold?
Old 03-06-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole "big pounder" thing needs to go too. Yah he is a big dude... id love to see him run like Bettis too..but he doesnt. He DOES make yards though..and his size makes him very durable.. and thats nothing to sneeze at.

As for his special teams performance... i havent sat and watched him..im just parroting what others have said..so you may be right there.
Old 03-06-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to retain both of these guys are a fair price to the team...as long as Peek is released. If Peek is released, our LB corps immediatly improve as a whole.

Also if faggins could be cut...
Old 03-06-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

ugh... Peek? your kidding? The guy is a natural athlete.. he has only started for one season and it was a season in which our entire team underachieved. Give the boy a chance.

As for Faggins. Before last season when we were forced to start him.. everyone was singing his praises as a great value in the 7th round and superb nickle/dime CB. He still is all those things... he just isnt starter material..thats not a crime.
Old 03-06-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The full article that the Kffl quips were taken from:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3703191.html
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
ugh... Peek? your kidding? The guy is a natural athlete.. he has only started for one season and it was a season in which our entire team underachieved. Give the boy a chance.

As for Faggins. Before last season when we were forced to start him.. everyone was singing his praises as a great value in the 7th round and superb nickle/dime CB. He still is all those things... he just isnt starter material..thats not a crime.
You'll NEVER find me praising Faggins, even for being a 3rd stringer. I've just never liked him, but I guess thats just MHO.

O well...
Old 03-06-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I Like Faggins, Wells, and Polk..... I think Faggins is starter material, but he really needs Mario Williams, or someone to that affect... Wells, he's going to really look good behind Kubiaks Line. I know Kubiak is going to make a lot of backs look good, but I think Wells will be worth more after a year or two under Kubiak....
Old 03-07-2006   #15
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I would like to retain both of these guys are a fair price to the team...as long as Peek is released. If Peek is released, our LB corps immediatly improve as a whole.

Also if faggins could be cut...
What is that about? he is going to do well now that he is in a system that should have him doing what he can do well, pass rush. If he is released he would be offered contracts from 10 teams that day. St. Louis wanted him if there was going to be a trade for Pace last season and with his natural abilities he would be coveted by many others.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

YTF just has a problem with Peeks penalties, but I think with the new system that will not be a problem. Actually eventhough I think he will be tendered, I wish we would offer him a longterm deal now and get him at a cheap price. The guy is talented, and if he got that fire harnessed would become one of the core leaders of this team. Another later round steal by Casserly in my opinion, but in no way does that mean me and Casserly are cool yet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read