Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2006   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Labor Negotiations Back On, Deal Close

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030500255.html

The NFL's labor negotiations took a dramatic turn overnight. After the talks faltered yesterday, representatives of the team owners and the players' union agreed to resume negotiations, and participants said the two sides were close to completing a deal.

Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, said via e-mail early this morning that the parties had scheduled another meeting in New York and were "now in the area where we will get a deal. I think it may be there. It comes down to a few final points."
Old 03-05-2006   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

why do I doubt that there will be a deal done today? I mean one would be awesome but both side have seemed to be close for the past week.
Old 03-05-2006   #3
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I just hope they can get together on something. It is just crappy that they can't get the deal done when they have been working for the past 18 months.
Old 03-05-2006   #4
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

I wonder if that means the owners came to an agreement on revenue sharing. Otherwise I don't know why they would be so eager to resume negotiations with the players on a new CBA.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #5
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJedi
I wonder if that means the owners came to an agreement on revenue sharing. Otherwise I don't know why they would be so eager to resume negotiations with the players on a new CBA.
Gene Upshaw had said earlier this week that part of the problem was that the owners couldn't come to agreement on revenue sharing and that has to be done first.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian
Gene Upshaw had said earlier this week that part of the problem was that the owners couldn't come to agreement on revenue sharing and that has to be done first.
I, nor apperantly some of the players, trust Upshaw as far as we can throw him.

There are issues within both camps, with the owners already offering more concessions then the players.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian
Just like some owners have said that one doesn't have to be done before the other - as long as they both get done. -- but that doesn't seem to be real considering the more recent news.

Sunday afternoon: Owners offer 59% but 24 of 32 would have to ratify a new agreement. The league year start could be delayed again by a few days. High revenue owners could still block the agreement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030500255.html

Last edited by aj.; 03-05-2006 at 06:31 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2006   #8
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Someone let me know which big market last won a Superbowl. Because to an extent I can see where some are coming from. For example, I like the Cowboys and all, but I hate that I see their merchandise alot here in Houston, and hardly see any Texans merchandise when I go to Dallas. You're selling your team's merchandise in my market? You're damn right I want a piece of the action.

Suely it's much bigger than that. But I think that so long as each team has the NFL logo that it's fair to share the wealth..
Old 03-05-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston is a high revenue franchise and New England is an example of a big market franchise that recently won a bunch of SBs.
Old 03-05-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just caught the latest on ESPN, and they said that things looked encouraging midday, but right now there's pessimism again and they are talking about
it going to be very challenging to get things turned around before the midnight deadline. And apparently the High and Low Rev teams are still out
of sync. Its beyond me how the Low-Rev teams can be so bull-headed,
because if the cap goes away, they (Low-Rev teams), are gonna get slaughtered in FA, and that will include the rookies coming out of college.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #11
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

nun,

I totally agree with your analysis. Why would the Bengals, Jags, etc. risk turning the NFL into a capless wonderland? They will struggle to compete in the long-tem. This will be a very interesting four hours...
Old 03-05-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
Why would the Bengals, Jags, etc. risk turning the NFL into a capless wonderland? They will struggle to compete in the long-tem. This will be a very interesting four hours...
Not that you asked me but the Bengals made it to the SB twice before there was a salary cap in the NFL.
Old 03-05-2006   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default Negotiations Come To A Halt Again

Quote:
Labor talks between NFL owners and the players' union have broken off without an agreement, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports. Representatives of the players' union walked out of negotiations Sunday evening, believing that an agreement with owners cannot be made.

"They're off," NFL vice president Joe Browne said after a day of bargaining that seemed to provide hope for an agreement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355190
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

profootballtalk.com is reporting that talks will resume at 7:30 our time ....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Old 03-05-2006   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they just took a dinner & Martini break so they could talk amongst themselves? If these m@@r@ns keep working at it, they will really screw it up.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read