Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2006   #1
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Default Runyon a fit for Texans?

Im surprised no one has mentioned anything about this but according to kffl.com the Texans are a POSSIBLE SUITOR for OT J. Runyon....any thoughts on the "possibilities" or the lack there of??? They mention he owns a house here in Houston, but he also owns an arena football team in SD...well thats the rumors anyways....any thoughts on his age/production/fit??
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #2
texman8
Veteran

Think Runyon is too old for us ; probably wants too much money. Shaeffer from Falcons ;better fit ...played in zone blocking scheme...only 25,26 years old.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #3
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends. If he's being brought in as a mentor to D'Brick, then he'd be a good fit.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #4
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

fair enough...lately all of these possible intersts seem to be just that...rumors. It seems to me that kffl just put us as possible suitors due to the fact that he already owns a house, just like they have SD as a possible suitor, and I believe another team or two due to little circumstances....I hate it when they just ASSume stuff like that rather than factual leaks of interst.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
It depends. If he's being brought in as a mentor to D'Brick, then he'd be a good fit.

Yeah but who's got the extra cash just laying around to bring in a guy like Runyon just for his "mentoring" skills?

I know that comes to mind when we're talking about an older player but man, the rosters would have to go up to 93 players to hold all of the mentors that get mentioned on our board in any given year. I think it's very, very rare that anyone outside of the QB position gets a spot on a roster just because of the effect they could have on a younger player. My gut feeling is that it probably happens to QB's less than we think.
Old 03-04-2006   #6
bdiddy
Veteran

This is BS. Runyan is a RT, the Texans have too much money used in Todd Wade and another capable RT in Seth Wand to go after a RT that would command the type of money Runyan will get on the open market. I do not think there is any validity to this story, the source is simply stating that the Texans "might" be interest in basically any lineman available b/c of our past problems.
Old 03-04-2006   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Runyan's skills have been declining for a few years and isn't going to get any better, so I say stay away.
Old 03-05-2006   #8
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Runyan is a RT,
Oops.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #9
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
This is BS. Runyan is a RT, the Texans have too much money used in Todd Wade and another capable RT in Seth Wand to go after a RT that would command the type of money Runyan will get on the open market. I do not think there is any validity to this story, the source is simply stating that the Texans "might" be interest in basically any lineman available b/c of our past problems.
I would like to take back my earlier comments, I have heard from a couple of people the Texans are interested in Runyan for the right price. The team is not sure if it would use him on the right or left side. A lot will depend on what he commands on the open market, but expect him to at least make a visit to H-town.
Old 03-05-2006   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

He is just an older version of Todd Wade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #11
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
He is just an older version of Todd Wade.
Maybe, but in his prime, Runyan was atlot better then Wade. I agree with the earlier post about his skills declining in recent years.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think right now anyone who is a proven lineman is going to get a look at by the texans...that doesn't mean we're going to sign him but right now after going 2-14 who are we to tell any good o-lineman that they don't fit our system...we need all the o-line help we can get
Old 03-21-2006   #13
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas
Default Jon Runyan

Actually...No I dont like Runyan...He didnt play a single game last year I dont think because of injuries. Plus because he played for the eagles he will be expecting alot of money from us. The guy is injury prone 32 and not that great. Pass on him!

Last edited by Texas; 03-21-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Dreaming about Runyan

Any hope we can find a way to get in the running for this guy? Word has it the Eagles and the Jets are battling it out for him. With the Eagles circling the drain and the Jets being the AFC East version of the Texans, why cant we get in the running for him. He was actually drafted by the Houston Oilers if you can believe that. He only has a few years left in the tank but I would rather get a proven OL to help solidify this line because as it sits now, the line is going to be the same if not worse than last year.

Offseason Goals for Casserley:
Improve QB Situation: Casserley resigns Carr for huge money
Improve OL Situation: Casserley reups with 4/5 of last years OL embarassment (aka sign scrubs)
Improve WR Situation: Sign scrubs
Improve Defense: Overpay for a run stopping DE, sign some scrubs and do nothing else.

Looks like Casserley is on par for another 'brilliant' offseason. Kudos to you Cass you have truly outdone yourself this year. Here is to you being a ditch digger after you are fired halfway through the embarassment that will be next year. *cheers to you Cass*

doug from the woodlands
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #15
Dunta_23
All Pro

Most fans think that the offseason has gone pretty well and that the signings so far havent been for scrubs...aka Walter and Putzier...the only possible overpayment may be for Weaver but he is young and will be great against the run...as for Runyan I dont know if he is a fit for this scheme...and this topic could have been in the other Runyan thread that is directly below this one
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #16
el toro
All Pro

So the Texans should enter the market for a player who already has two serious suitors? I guess that would pave the way for the 'Casserly overpaid that POS' thread next summer.

Free agency isn't over. The team is headed in the right direction, which started with canning Capers and landing Kubiak. Every day I pull up this board and I see yet another thread about the team pursuing another vet lineman. Patience is a virtue, unless you're a virtual GM who believes that it's oh so easy to make things happen. Provided you have the magic beads, I suppose that is true.
el toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #17
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the title of your post is about the close you are going to get. Don't want him, he wouldn't fit, so keep dreaming...

And I am with Dunta_23, our off season has been going along nicely
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Most fans think that the offseason has gone pretty well and that the signings so far havent been for scrubs...aka Walter and Putzier...the only possible overpayment may be for Weaver but he is young and will be great against the run...as for Runyan I dont know if he is a fit for this scheme...and this topic could have been in the other Runyan thread that is directly below this one
didnt see the runyan thread. did a search and the poster misspelled his name so I didnt see one with his name attached. My apologies. Moderator, please moderate at your leisure.

p.s. I like the Putzier signing. That being said, I chalk that up to Kubes being a competent head coach and getting Putzier's door open. Thank goodness that Cass didnt offend anyone and got the deal done.

Thanks,
Doug from the Woodlands
Old 03-21-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonIsOver
He was actually drafted by the Houston Oilers if you can believe that.
Huh ! Why on earth would we want to get into a bidding war we'd have little
chance of winning for an NFL relic ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by el toro
So the Texans should enter the market for a player who already has two serious suitors? I guess that would pave the way for the 'Casserly overpaid that POS' thread next summer.
Yes we should enter the market for Runyan, what use is cap space and being a high revenue team if we dont use it. The reason there are two serious suitors is because he is a valued Free Agent and could help any team in the NFL. Would we have to overpay? Yes, such is the price of being 2-14, but at least he is proven championship-caliber starter. You get what you pay for and until we stop perusing Free Agents like we are shopping for bargains at the swap meet we will continue to reap what we sow....which means Wades, Weigerts, Brueners, Macks.

Robaire was a good signing last year. Where is our Robaire this year? Weaver? come on now. I am not saying I dont like the signing but if you are counting on Weaver to greatly improve the 31st ranked NFL defense then I think you may be drinking Battle Red Kool Aid. Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.....but dont hold your breath.

Doug from the Woodlands

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read