Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-04-2006   #1
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default Im in a mock....Need some help...

I traded out of # 1 for DeAngelo Hall, the 15th and an extra 3rd...

the picks so far have been...

1. Reggie Bush
2. Matt Lienart
3. Vince Young
4. AJ Hawk
5. Mario Williams
6. DeAngelo Williams
7. D'Brick
8. Winston Justice
9. Michael Huff
10. Vernon Davis
11. Jimmy Williams
12. Eric Winston
13. LenDale White
14. ___________
15. Texans selection?

I was really hoping to move down and try and snag Vernon Davis or Michael Huff...Is it too early to take Tamba Hali? There is still 1 pick to go before I select so give me some feedback...
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

who was your target when trading down

this is a nightmare scenero, are you related to Casserly by any chance? really the only thing to do is trade down at this point and stockpile 2nd & 3rd rd. picks.

Last edited by beerlover; 03-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #3
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though we're switching to the 4-3 & have an over abundance of DT's, you can't go wrong with (BPA) Haloti Ngata.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #4
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Did the Jet's trade down? There's no way they take Hawk over D'Brick.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 03-04-2006   #5
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

take ngata or trade down again
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #6
texman8
Veteran

How about Chad Greenway, LB or Chad Jackson or Sanatonio Holmes WR?
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ko Simpson
Greenway
Kiwi

or trade down and look for Hali, Mangold, J. Joseph, M. Lewis. Stockpile picks if you can.
Old 03-04-2006   #8
Dunta_23
All Pro

I wanted Vernon Davis or Michael Huff....this draft has a no trade once drafting begins rule...so as it stands now I'm probably stuff with the choices of

Ngata
Hali
Kiwi
Whitner
Simpson
Chad Jackson
S. Holmes
Old 03-05-2006   #9
Dunta_23
All Pro

Hali was selected right before me...I took Ngata and like beerlover said its basically a nightmare scenario if it were to shake down that way...but when I see I got DeAngelo Hall in the first round too I am still smiling...Now only if we didnt have Seth Payne around....we could rotate Robaire, TJ, and Ngata
Old 03-05-2006   #10
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Wow, if this scenario happens on draft day I'll be a nervous wreck and completely beside myself.

BPA and best fit for team at this point seem to be:

Mathias Kiwanuka
Manny Lawson
Hali
Chad Greenway
D'Qwell Jackson
Darnell Bing
Ko Simpson (though he'll probably be there in later rounds)
Leonard Pope
Chad Jackson
Old 03-05-2006   #11
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

The situation really isn't all that bad. Let's look at the 5 BPAs at this point:

DT Ngata
OLB Greenway
WR Jackson
DE Hali
WR Holmes

4 of those are need picks for the Texans. You've got pick 33 and 3 in the third. So consider which holes you can fill with those picks.

Daryn College at #33 would be nice. In the third, you should be able to get an OG, S and a TE - since those are three positions that are drafted low. Of course, the glaring problem with this is that none of those four picks (OT, OG, S, TE) help our pass rush. So your first round pick should be Tamba Hali, with Greenway as your backup.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
The situation really isn't all that bad.
I disagree, it really is that bad. It means you have traded so far down your out of range of all the elite talent, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, D'brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis & Michael Huff. c'mon get real if the Texans don't get at least one of those players this is not good :brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
Let's look at the 5 BPAs at this point:

DT Ngata
OLB Greenway
WR Jackson
DE Hali
WR Holmes
We don't need another stink'en DT especially converting to the 4-3. we already have plenty of OLB's too. Is WR that high on our need list and in case you missed the point Hali was selected ahead of the Texans pick.

If he could not trade down my personel choice and biggest need would have been the last of the prototypical tackle studs in Marcus McNeil, at worst he replaces Wade
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #13
Dunta_23
All Pro

Im targeting Mangold at 33...and hope he will drop but if he doesnt im sure I will be able to take a pretty good MLB there....if not someone along the Oline
Old 03-05-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a really bad first round for the Texans. Ngata is a NT, not really a typical 4-3 DT. We also have an abundance of DT's already. Mangold at #33 will help to rectify your draft, but you basicly managed to screw up a situation I felt even casserly couldn't screw up. (not too much offense meant as I know you are just experimenting, but something should have been going off in your head)
Old 03-05-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Do you have a big board made yet? I'm guessing you don't since you rid yourself of every elite player in the draft at that point. There has to be a cut-off where logicly, one of your top X players will fall. You don't go beyond that point in a trade down.
Old 03-05-2006   #16
Dunta_23
All Pro

Yeha but the hype of Vernon Davis wasnt top 10 hype previous to this and I was sure, Justice on Winston would fall, Or Hali...But like I said, DeAngelo hall is a first rounder so him and Ngata make up for the sting of missing out on some of the top tier guys..
Old 03-05-2006   #17
Dunta_23
All Pro

Plus atlanta was the only team wanting to move up... its a 3 round mock and I have 5 picks...Plus D. Hall...Im sure it will be ok...
Old 03-05-2006   #18
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Plus atlanta was the only team wanting to move up... its a 3 round mock and I have 5 picks...Plus D. Hall...Im sure it will be ok...
Imo, you've done just fine. Almost every pole I'm seeing of late, has Eric Winston falling into the 2nd round. I guess you could've taken Jonathan Scott, but Ngata is a far superior player at pick #15. The draft is like poker, there's a whole lotta' guessing what the other players are going to do. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out the way you planned.

I read an article a week or two ago, where Ngata was quoted as preferring to play in a 4-3 defense. If he can dominate as a NT in a 3-4, imagine how dominate he'll be in a 4-3. While Ngata might not have been the #1 choice of the Texans, he's definitely not chopped liver either. He'll definitely be an upgrade over what we have now, & he allows us the luxury of trading one of our other DT's (Payne/Robaire) for an additional pick. Thus, we upgraded a position, reduced the salary cap, acquired a starting CB, & picked up another draft pick.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 03-05-2006   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Chad Greenway
Chad Jackson
Mathias Kiwanuka
The trade realy isnt that bad considering we got DeAngelo Hall. Him and Drob would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #20
Texans>Colts
Veteran

I'm suprised no one siad this name. Jay Cutler. Thats who i would pick. He is bound to be better than Carr

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read