Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-04-2006   #1
Dakidd405
waterboy

Default What do you guys think about...

trading down and picking Vernon Davis? We can actually trade down a little more than 4 (Im not sure who is coveting who), but can get even more for the number 1 pick. Vernon Davis is such a freak its almost scary and would take a lot of the double teams of AJ. Put him on the same side of AJ and the safety wouldn't be able to double up on AJ. If you do try to double AJ with the safety, a LB would have trouble staying with him. He is almost as fast as Andre Johnson (ran at the combine a 4.38, Johnson was a 4.32 i believe) He may be a bit small for a TE, but his 40.5" vertical jump can make up for that. Scouts also say he is a tremendous blocker which can also help us. He would fit our 3 wide out set nicely because he is basicaly a 4th wideout out there, and can also be very dependent as a 6th blocker when we run in that set. Davd Carr would love to have him, because he can dump it off to him in the middle when he is in trouble.With more extra picks, we can pick up some OL later in the draft, and us having Kubiak, i think i can put trust in him finding some OL in the later parts of the draft since he was with Denver. Give me you guys opinion of this prospect coming to us.

p.s. I was a very big reggie bush fan until i saw what vernon davis did at the combine.
Dakidd405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis will be an elite pick in the draft and probably projects as a pro bowler. I wouldn't cry if we came out of our first round with him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #3
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Davis would be great, but does anyone know about how he blocks? I mean physical he is a beast and he has good hands.
Old 03-04-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I would love to have the luxury of getting Vernon Davis, but I think with our current team and since we have the #1 pick we need to either come away with Reggie Bush or Mario Williams out of it, whether we take either of them at #1 or trade down to #4-5 to get them.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Davis would be great, but does anyone know about how he blocks? I mean physical he is a beast and he has good hands.
The way I see it, their are 9-10 elite prospects... So, any trade down that keeps us in the top 9 works well... discounting the QBs and Ngata (NT), that leaves us with one of these guys: V.Davis, Mario Williams, Ferguson, Huff, AJ Hawk, Reggie Bush.

If we don't stay in that top 9, I'd rather trade down into the 20's than be in the 12-16 area- I don't think there's exceptional value there.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
The way I see it, their are 9-10 elite prospects... So, any trade down that keeps us in the top 9 works well... discounting the QBs and Ngata (NT), that leaves us with one of these guys: V.Davis, Mario Williams, Ferguson, Huff, AJ Hawk, Reggie Bush.

If we don't stay in that top 9, I'd rather trade down into the 20's than be in the 12-16 area- I don't think there's exceptional value there.
I don't think the Texans would trade down below 5-6, hopefully only to 4-5 so they can still get Mario Williams. Considering we have the #1 pick in the draft, the only players I consider being elite enough to target would be Reggie Bush, Mario Williams, or Matt Leinart, and you could add Vince Young or D'Brickashaw Ferguson to that group depending on how good you personally think they will be. If we trade down targeting Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, or anyone else, we better get one hell of a good deal out of it. To me, Bush and Mario are the only guys we should be specifically targeting in the top of the 1st round, we better be offered a great deal in order to give up the chance to get one of them and target someone else.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read