Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans sign Kevin Walter to Offer Sheet

Texans | Team may be interested in K. Walter
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 06:18:02 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Houston Texans are reportedly interested in signing Cincinnati Bengals restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter to an offer sheet. Walter's compensation to the Bengals is a seventh-round draft choice, if they don't match the offer sheet.

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=30
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm...I've never heard of him. Not very impressive stats though in his 3 years. What makes him better than Armstrong or Gaffney?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked up Kevin Walter for a few weeks on my Dynasty team last year, so he has some potential. He beat out Kelly Washington but doesn't have the talent of Chris Henry who played most of the slot snaps. Good size...Possession wr - Joe Jurevicius type. Henry has legal problems and I don't think they want Washington back...so they may match the offer sheet.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #4
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

that still doesnt answer the ? of what makes him better than any receiver we already have on the team (armstrong and gaff)... Why is it we ALWAYS go after some no name person...can we for once make a big splash in FA...just once to help this team I would like to see them spend some money on a GOOD FA to help this team out (Bentley/Hutchinson or any other big name FA that could FILL A NEED for that matter)
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
that still doesnt answer the ? of what makes him better than any receiver we already have on the team (armstrong and gaff)... Why is it we ALWAYS go after some no name person...can we for once make a big splash in FA...just once to help this team I would like to see them spend some money on a GOOD FA to help this team out (Bentley/Hutchinson or any other big name FA that could FILL A NEED for that matter)
Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack, James Allen and Todd Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.

Old 03-04-2006   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack and Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.
ouch
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #7
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I see your point but the NFL is a business and with it money talks and bull**** walks...and we seem to walk away from EVERY GOOD FA that could help turn this organization around.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, who is this guy. Now if it was their 3rd receiver, I believe Henry is his last name, that would be a nice pick up.

Okay so I know now. Sorry. I didn't see yalls post till mine was posted.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Yeah, who is this guy. Now if it was their 3rd receiver, I believe Henry is his last name, that would be a nice pick up.
Henry is a total moron and has the mentality of a 5 year old....you don't want him el.

Old 03-04-2006   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I don't know too much outside of seeing him play. What I saw from his play was worth wanting but we don't need punks on this team. We've done fairly well in not getting those type of players.
Old 03-04-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Well I don't know too much outside of seeing him play. What I saw from his play was worth wanting but we don't need punks on this team. We've done fairly well in not getting those type of players.
Here is a sampling of his brilliance...
Quote:
According to a copy of the police report obtained by SportsTicker, Henry was stopped by a police officer who noticed an altercation brewing between two groups. The officer saw Henry reach into his wasteband and pull out a firearm, at which point he commanded the 22-year-old to put down the gun. Henry turned towards the policeman and froze before tossing the gun into a nearby limousine.
http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/sho...story_id=57707

Old 03-04-2006   #12
barzilla
Veteran

Quote:
Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack, James Allen and Todd Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.
If Capers were still the coach I could see that, but Kubiak has a reputation as a good offensive coach, so I would think it would easier to attract offensive guys. Also, while we may be a losing team we are also a young franchise that hasn't developed a reputation one way or another. Let's remember that we were trending up until last year. If this were Arizona or Detroit I could understand the reluctance on the part of free agents.

We should remember that we also have one of the better practice facilities and no state income tax, so there is plenty to attract guys. I think this has more to do with Casserly playing it safe until we find out what happens with the CBA. I suspect we should sign some starter quality guys if that cap jumps with a CBA.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Henry is a total moron and has the mentality of a 5 year old....you don't want him el.
Hey, I wonder what he got on the wonderlic? &

But seriously, we don't want either of those guys on our team. Maybe we can pickup a middle to late rounder (like a Jeremy Bloom) if we can find a decent FA.
What about Jurvecious, did he re-sign with Seattle? I thought he was going to be a FA.
Old 03-04-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
If Capers were still the coach I could see that, but Kubiak has a reputation as a good offensive coach, so I would think it would easier to attract offensive guys. Also, while we may be a losing team we are also a young franchise that hasn't developed a reputation one way or another. Let's remember that we were trending up until last year. If this were Arizona or Detroit I could understand the reluctance on the part of free agents.

We should remember that we also have one of the better practice facilities and no state income tax, so there is plenty to attract guys. I think this has more to do with Casserly playing it safe until we find out what happens with the CBA. I suspect we should sign some starter quality guys if that cap jumps with a CBA.
Carr has 60 NFL starts...more than Bulger, Pennington, Brees, and Leftwich. He has a ton of film on him. Carr isn't going to catch a break until he produces. I don't think anyone will just assume his field awareness improves just because he has a new coach. I don't think we will be able to attract a top WR FA due to Carr not being able to find anyone but his WR1 or his dump pass....I hope Im wrong.

Old 03-04-2006   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking (and I apologize if I am off-topic on this one), how will the prospect of no salary cap next year influence the FA's choice of teams? Logically you would think that they would want to take care of the monetary aspects of their careers first, meaning selling their services to the highest bidder, that being the big spenders among teams.
The way I see it, the salary cap might actually make it possible for these hot FA's to pick and choose among teams, whereas a no-cap scenario could possibly result in.. US (as in the Texans) getting some hot ones

Am I completely off on this one?
For the record, I REALLY want the cap in place in the future, regardless of whether or not we as a team will benefit from the no-cap.
Old 03-04-2006   #16
Tayton
Veteran

Gaffney gets alot of looks. You may not see it from the TV angles but he often gives up on his routes.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton
Gaffney gets alot of looks. You may not see it from the TV angles but he often gives up on his routes.
The only time Gaff gets looks is when he is the first read otherwise it's AJ then dump down to Davis. Check out the Seattle game, he was the first read and had 10 catches for 81 yards. If he gets looks, he is productive. Problem is Carr won't look his way.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Remember when everyone bashed Gaffney and not Carr?
Old 03-04-2006   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The only time Gaff gets looks is when he is the first read otherwise it's AJ then dump down to Davis. Check out the Seattle game, he was the first read and had 10 catches for 81 yards. If he gets looks, he is productive. Problem is Carr won't look his way.
You can't blame Carr for all of it, but you can't blame it all on Gaffney either. I'm not sure how Carr was supposed to throw to Gaffney when our whole offense revolved around a 2 step drop and throw a screen pass. On paper, Gaffney had his best season last year with 55 receptions. I think that that will go up to about 65 this year with a decent offensive line that gives Carr time to pass and coach that actually knows a thing or two about offense. I still don't think anyone on our roster (aside from AJ) is good enough to be a #2 WR. We need a free agent pickup (not Kevin Walter) who will take more pressure off of AJ.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #20
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Until we get a solid OL, I'm going to give Carr the benefit of the doubt. With 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball, there's not a lot of opportunities to scan the field for other options. Carr may ultimately be a bust, but let's give him a chance to throw behind a better pass blocking line first. This is the very reason why I believe that we'll take D'Brick with our #1 pick.

Vinny,

As things stand now, I agree with your stance on the prime FA's reluctance to come here. However, anyone who's anyone, knows that a big part of Carr's lack of production has a lot to do with the Texan's OL. With that thought in mind, in your opinion, could the Texans drafting D'Brick & signing a veteran offensive lineman, or two, cause some of the premier FA's to reconsider Houston as a viable option?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read