Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-03-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' Dream Draft might include Titans Trade

Pre-Wonderlic rumors included reports that the Titans would covet VY on
Draft Day. Now the Titans know they could trade down and still get VY if they
wanted him, but perhaps they want a more reliable, more conventional NFL pocket passer type like Matt Leinert to replace Steve McNair. And they know the Saints want exactly the same thing. The only way to solve their problem
is to pick ahead of the Saints.
We could trade with the Titans and recieve their 1st and 2nd for our #1,
and still pick Reggie since the Saints have recently signed a new long term contract with Duece McAllister, a truly elite NFL RB, and are very much interested in drafting a promishing college QB in this years draft.
And we end up with two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks for the first day and select Reggie with out #3 pick. Oh there is some risk that the Titans pick Reggie instead of Leinert, but not likely. In the event that happened, we could use our #3 on our choice of OT Ferguson or DE Williams.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see it happening, only Cass. is dumb enough to trade a bunch of picks to a divisional rival.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #3
big homey
Veteran

They could just wait/trade down and take Cutler, the hometown kid.
Old 03-03-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
....... since the Saints have recently signed a new long term contract with Duece McAllister, a truly elite NFL RB,
Duece McAllister, a truly elite NFL RB.
First three years.
Games... 47 Games Started...35 ATT.. 692 Yards..3120 AVg...4.9 long...76 TD... 22 20+yards....... 27 FDs..... 138

Domanick Davis........ just some guy.
First three years.
Games.... 40 Games Started...36 Att...770 Yards...3195 Avg...4.1 long...51 TD... 23 20+yards.......13 FDs.........142

I still don't see why we need a running back, why we can't pass on Reggie Bush, but they don't.
Old 03-04-2006   #5
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Duece McAllister, a truly elite NFL RB.
First three years.
Games... 47 Games Started...35 ATT.. 692 Yards..3120 AVg...4.9 long...76 TD... 22 20+yards....... 27 FDs..... 138

Domanick Davis........ just some guy.
First three years.
Games.... 40 Games Started...36 Att...770 Yards...3195 Avg...4.1 long...51 TD... 23 20+yards.......13 FDs.........142

I still don't see why we need a running back, why we can't pass on Reggie Bush, but they don't.
I'm right there w/ you...DD is a more than capable RB. We don't need Bush.

As most know by this point, my preference is to get VY b/c I just don't think Carr is the QB that is going to lead your team to the SB....BUT that looks unlikely at this point. With that being said, Carr CAN win games, but he definately needs a good supporting cast around him. I don't think Bush is the answer to that.

What we need to do is take a dynamic playmaker on defense in the 1st round (i.e. Mario, Huff, Hawk in a trade down scenario,) and the best Olineman on the board in the 2nd round.
Old 03-04-2006   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
As most know by this point, my preference is to get VY b/c I just don't think Carr is the QB that is going to lead your team to the SB....BUT that looks unlikely at this point. With that being said, Carr CAN win games, but he definately needs a good supporting cast around him. I don't think Bush is the answer to that.
If the Texans were going to draft a QB and if we left sentiment and geography out of it, the unanimous (or nearly unanimous choice), would be
Matt Leinert. Check it out in any city in the country, that's the prevailing
wisdom except for here in Houston where VY grew up. And forget about the
Wonderlic score, I don't care if VY scored a 46 instead of a 6, he would stillbe
a project and would be riding the rails for a couple years. Leinert has been the
starting QB for a pro-style offense for 3 years and led it to 2 championships in those 3 years. He's ready to start in the NFL this September! But all of this
makes no difference anyway, because the Texans organization has already decided to retain Carr, and he's going to be the QB here for several more years.
Regarding trading down: good OTs, TEs, DEs, etc. come into the NFL every
year, but Reggie Bush is rated as the greatest playmaker to come into the
league atleast since LaDainian Tomlinson arrived 5 years ago. Some say he's
the greatest since Marshall Falk, and thats over 10 years ago. And we are the one and only team who can draft him if we choose ! Out of 32 teams,
he is ours to take. Is there risk in drafting Reggie ? Of course! But Bob McNair didn't become what he is today, rising from his very modest background as a South Carolina native, without taking some big risks.
He made a fortune negotiating with and selling his business to Lay, Skilling,
and others at Enron when that company was a corporate titan and feared
on a global basis. This is not a timid man.
And ole man McNair may be a mild mannered, laid back sort outwardly, but you know he's got an ego as big as Reliant stadium. Reggie Bush puts his Texans on prime time TV this fall against the Cowboys, and maybe also in another MNF/SNF game or two.
Old 03-04-2006   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the Texans were going to draft a QB and if we left sentiment and geography out of it, the unanimous (or nearly unanimous choice), would be
Wonderlic score, I don't care if VY scored a 46 instead of a 6, he would stillbe
a project and would be riding the rails for a couple years. Leinert has been the
starting QB for a pro-style offense for 3 years and led it to 2 championships in those 3 years. He's ready to start in the NFL this September! But all of this
makes no difference anyway, because the Texans organization has already decided to retain Carr, and he's going to be the QB here for several more years.
Regarding trading down: good OTs, TEs, DEs, etc. come into the NFL every
year, but Reggie Bush is rated as the greatest playmaker to come into the
league atleast since LaDainian Tomlinson arrived 5 years ago. Some say he's
the greatest since Marshall Falk, and thats over 10 years ago. And we are the one and only team who can draft him if we choose ! Out of 32 teams,
he is ours to take. Is there risk in drafting Reggie ? Of course! But Bob McNair didn't become what he is today, rising from his very modest background as a South Carolina native, without taking some big risks.
He made a fortune negotiating with and selling his business to Lay, Skilling,
and others at Enron when that company was a corporate titan and feared
on a global basis. This is not a timid man.
And ole man McNair may be a mild mannered, laid back sort outwardly, but you know he's got an ego as big as Reliant stadium. Reggie Bush puts his Texans on prime time TV this fall against the Cowboys, and maybe also in another MNF/SNF game or two.
Can one man turn around an organization? Lets say that Bush becomes as good as Marshall Faulk..no lets say Barry Sanders. How did the Lions do with Sanders running for them? He did great but the team did not. They made the playoffs 4 times, but each time(except in 91, but there they got killed by the redskins) they went out in the first round. Essentially the defense let Barry get his yards and contained everyone else. Football is a TEAM sport and no one man can make a difference on his own.

Thats why we have to try to trade down. Picking up Super Mario or D Brick will help this team. Plus the fact that we will add pieces to help put our puzzle together. We do not need superstars on this team, we just need solid players playing thier positions well. The Evil England Patriots have shown us you need solid players who play together not superstars to win consistently.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2006   #8
Dunta_23
All Pro

I understand the point of view that Reggie Bush alone wont cure this team, BUT, we will still have 3 more draft picks in the next 65. Thats possibly 3 starters depending on position out of your first 4 selections...That is pretty good if you ask me. The question may be will Reggie Bush PLUS 3 more top 65 players do better than ____________ and 4 more top 65 players?

Personally I REALLY like Mario Williams, D'Brick, and Reggie Bush so I will probably be a happy guy come draft day.
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
I understand the point of view that Reggie Bush alone wont cure this team, BUT, we will still have 3 more draft picks in the next 65. Thats possibly 3 starters depending on position out of your first 4 selections...That is pretty good if you ask me. The question may be will Reggie Bush PLUS 3 more top 65 players do better than ____________ and 4 more top 65 players?

Personally I REALLY like Mario Williams, D'Brick, and Reggie Bush so I will probably be a happy guy come draft day.
Ok, but...If we trade down, we have an oppertunity for a guaranteed starter, plus Mario or Dbrick or Davis, plus potentially 4 picks and somethign next year.

So, with reggie its 1+ maybe 3
Without its 1st rounder+starter+ 4 and something next year.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
First of all, everybod who is rating Lienart, are using the same paper facts they used to highly rank Carr, Leaf, Smith, and every other first round bust. The thing that made peyton Manning special, wasn't something you can type up in a report........ it's a feeling you get when you watch him play....... You know that guy is going to change the expectations, the winning attitude, the face of your team..... John Elway had it too, coming out of college... In Cases like Peyton, Elway, McNabb.... etc..... The Stats are only half the story. Leaf & Couch, and those like them, the stats is everything you're going to get. That is my take on Matt, and Lienart.... the stats, that's all their is to them. Depending on which team they go to, will determine if they'll be succesful or not....... guys like Elway, Peyton, McNabb, & IMO Vince Young, they will make whatever team they go to successful. That's just the way I see it.
Old 03-04-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
First of all, everybod who is rating Lienart, are using the same paper facts they used to highly rank Carr, Leaf, Smith, and every other first round bust. The thing that made peyton Manning special, wasn't something you can type up in a report........ it's a feeling you get when you watch him play.......

emotion and homerism are better methods of rating prospects?
Old 03-04-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
I understand the point of view that Reggie Bush alone wont cure this team, BUT, we will still have 3 more draft picks in the next 65. Thats possibly 3 starters depending on position out of your first 4 selections...That is pretty good if you ask me.
Our division rival, the Jacksonville Jaguars, drafted a LT in the second round in last years Draft and he started for them this past fall and we all know the Jags went to the playoffs this past year. Since we were drafting ahead of the Jags, we could have had that player with our 2nd pick, but we used it on the PB trade. And I won't get into the PB trade here and now.
The point I'm making is starting players at key positions like LOT are there for the taking every year, but a team has to draft wisely. Our 3rd round picks are the first 2 picks of the third round. That makes them virtually second round picks, so we're talking 3 second round picks. But we have to use them wisely. Hopefully with the added input of Kubiak, Sherman, & Reeves we're going to have a better collective Draft IQ this year.
Are the "experts" badly mistaken about Reggie's potential in the NFL ? Its
possible, but its also possible they are right on the money. And he could be
this franchises "marquee" player for today, for tomorrow , and forever. This is
how you build the history, the tradition, the culture of an NFL franchise.
And let your thoughts wander for awhile. Can you just imagine the possibilities with an offense featuring Andre and Reggie ? Honestly, can one contain his excitement with the thought of those 2 on the field together in Texans' uniforms ?
Old 03-04-2006   #13
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can contain it. Trade down.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First of all, everybod who is rating Lienart, are using the same paper facts they used to highly rank Carr, Leaf, Smith, and every other first round bust.
I hear you, but it's also the system that picked all the busts and stars in all of the rounds. It is what they have. It is a pretty weird coincidence that most experts, teams, and fans rate Leinart higher than Young except in Texas.

The minority can be right though - I'm still standing by my statement that Wand is our starting LT next year. I'm pretty sure that puts me in the minority.

For the record I want Mario Williams with our first pick, trade down or not. That puts me in the minority again!
Old 03-04-2006   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Tennessee probably has as much, or more, information on the top 3 QBs as any team in the league. Of course, Norm Chow was Matt Leinart's OC during USC's national championship seasons. Steve McNair as been extolling the virtues of Vince Young since he went to McNair's football camp as a teenager. And if the proximity of Vanderbilt's campus wasn't enough for the Titans, they were able to get a week of hands on evaluation of Jay Cutler at the Senior Bowl.

No, I don't see the Titans panicking on draft day and coughing up a load of draft picks to the Texans. I do believe they'll take a QB (unless Bush somehow slides) because Tennessee is moving 2nd year tackle Michael Roos to the left side. But, I think the Titans realize better than anyone that they'll get a good QB prospect at #3. Whoever that might be.
Old 03-04-2006   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
For the record I want Mario Williams with our first pick, trade down or not. That puts me in the minority again!
I'm definately in the Williams camp too. The minority gets a little bigger.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Tennessee probably has as much, or more, information on the top 3 QBs as any team in the league. Of course, Norm Chow was Matt Leinart's OC during USC's national championship seasons. Steve McNair as been extolling the virtues of Vince Young since he went to McNair's football camp as a teenager. And if the proximity of Vanderbilt's campus wasn't enough for the Titans, they were able to get a week of hands on evaluation of Jay Cutler.

No, I don't see the Titans panicking on draft day and coughing up a load of draft picks to the Texans. I do believe they'll take a QB (unless Bush somehow slides) because Tennessee is moving 2nd year tackle Michael Roos to the left side. But, I think the Titans realize better than anyone that they'll get a good QB prospect at #3. Whoever that might be.
Agreed. The Titans are sitting pretty in the three hole. This division will continue to get tougher and with one of those QB's going to the Titans it is more imperative than ever that we lay the ground work for building a defense through the draft now and that begins with Mario Williams.
Old 03-04-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just pray that the Titans take Cutler. He is a bust waiting to happen and is one of the most overhyped players in recent memory. Even our weak secondary will own him. He just isn't very smart with his passes.
Old 03-04-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I just pray that the Titans take Cutler. He is a bust waiting to happen and is one of the most overhyped players in recent memory. Even our weak secondary will own him. He just isn't very smart with his passes.
you know they said the same things about Brett Farve
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
you know they said the same things about Brett Farve
Yes.

They are similar but Farve just had it in him to win. Cutler does not show that same mentality. He comes off as an over-hyped act to me. He does have a strong arm, and that gun-slinger mentality, but they are in a different class as far as I'm concerned.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read