Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-03-2006   #1
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams on the Combine

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9278724

via nfl.com

This kid tops my draft wish list.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #2
Dunta_23
All Pro

Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Big strong and fast. I would say that he is the 3rd best player in the draft.
Old 03-03-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

After all the posts (made with hindsight!*) I've read in the past couple of months that say it was intuitively obvious that Peppers should have been picked before Carr, I wonder why Mario Williams isn't the front runner for more people around here.

I have finally made up my mind that he should be our first pick whether we trade down or not. He fills a glaring weakness for us, in general rookies on defense can make a more immediate impact, a pass rush should also improve our weak secondary, etc. etc.

* apologies to those people who truly wanted Peppers before the draft.
Old 03-03-2006   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

mario williams is probably the top talent in this draft...when you look at the athletes we have in this years draft with williams, bush, young, davis, hawk, and ferguson there is some seriously talented guys in the draft
Old 03-03-2006   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9278724

via nfl.com

This kid tops my draft wish list.
Even though I started this process as a Bush guy and can admit that VY is an incredible talent, I have changed the past month. I wrote this a few weeks back but if you want to get a playmaker that will help the team and stop the VY v. Bush argument, this is the guy. The Steelers showed what D playmakers can do against the best of defenses.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If he is a Peppers clone the #2 overall seems pretty much inline. as a fan & not a GM I would rank them as follows:
  • Matt Leinart
  • Mario Williams
  • D'Brickashaw Ferguson
  • Reggie Bush
  • Vince Young
  • AJ Hawk
  • Jay Cutler
  • Vernon Davis
  • Michael Huff
  • Tye Hill
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

D'Brick dominated Mario during the Senior Bowl week (don't remember if it was the game or the practice) and we spent a 1st round pick on a DL last season.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #9
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
D'Brick dominated Mario during the Senior Bowl week (don't remember if it was the game or the practice) and we spent a 1st round pick on a DL last season.
Mario is a junior and wasn't at the Senior Bowl, nice try though. D'Brick did play well against most of the other guys there, but he did get beat some too, and Mario is easily a better pass rusher than anyone at the Senior Bowl.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #10
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
As MorKnolle pointed out, Mario wasn't even at the Senior Bowl...I think you're thinking of Kiwanuka or Hali.

We did take a Dlineman last year, but there is a BIG difference between the DT that we really didn't need last year (IMO) and the DE that we desperately need now since we are switching to a 4-3 scheme.
Old 03-04-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

My draft board in 2002 for the Texans in the first round was Peppers and Portis. This year it is Mario Williams and Eric Winston. Winston is admittedly a wish. I just can't get Ferguson out of my mind being beat by Tapp from VA Tech so easily.
Old 03-04-2006   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
My draft board in 2002 for the Texans in the first round was Peppers and Portis. This year it is Mario Williams and Eric Winston. Winston is admittedly a wish. I just can't get Ferguson out of my mind being beat by Tapp from VA Tech so easily.
I could live with that

but I just think the temptation to finally nab a franchise LT that fits the Texans new scheme perfectly will be to much for Kubiac and Casserly to ignore along with owner Bob McNair's two year old promise to get David some protection. just a feeling
Old 03-04-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I could live with that

but I just think the temptation to finally nab a franchise LT that fits the Texans new scheme perfectly will be to much for Kubiac and Casserly to ignore along with owner Bob McNair's two year old promise to get David some protection. just a feeling
The only thing McNair owes DC is cash pursuant to his contract. McNair owes this team players on both sides of the ball. DC has been pampered this off season with an extension and a new staff.
Old 03-04-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
The only thing McNair owes DC is cash pursuant to his contract. McNair owes this team players on both sides of the ball. DC has been pampered this off season with an extension and a new staff.
I agree...also, when has he NOT been pampered here?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
That must be a rhetorical question. Carr has been a regular at Reliant Spa for four years.
Old 03-04-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
GAME DAY
Old 03-04-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
It was Mathias Kiwanuka (BC) that was dominated by D'Brick.
Old 03-04-2006   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I could live with that

I think with the way they drafted in Denver and from what the O-coordinator said that one day that we may be headed D or Bush with O-line in the second. Random but with their success in lower rounds and Kubiak knowing what kind of guys he wants on the line I just don't see them pulling the trigger. Especially with the chance to get one of 5 or so playmakers....something we really aren't full of, line or not.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #19
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I the Texans picked Mario Williams first overrall, I would not shed a tear. This guy is an absolute beast. From what I heard on ESPN, the Jets are all hard-up for Lienart, so I say the Texans trade picks with NJ, the Jets get their guy and we get addtional 2nd pick this year. If someone has already come up with this scenario, sorry.
Old 03-04-2006   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

What happened with Pennington and the Jets? If he didn't restructure, the Jets wanting to trade up is far more likley.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read