Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-02-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Jamie Sharper Cut by Seahawks

What do you guys think about bringing him in for veteran minimum w/ possible incentives?

Pure speculation

I have not heard anything on this but I do know at least one person in the front office was very fond of Sharper during his tenure and sorry to see him go.

Last edited by bdiddy; 03-02-2006 at 10:44 PM.
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #2
texman8
Veteran

Wasn't he injured for most of last season? Not sure he would fit in new 4-3 defense.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8
Wasn't he injured for most of last season? Not sure he would fit in new 4-3 defense.
Yes he was injured for most of last season. Sharper played OLB on a SB winning 4-3 team including making an INT. He should have been very popular the 1st 3 years of the franchise as he was a borderline pro-bowl talent in those years. No he would not be worth bringing in as he was significantly down in his last year with the Texans before his season ending injury in Seatle.
Old 03-02-2006   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see Sharper wanting to return to the Texans .....

Second I dont see Much if ANY FA activity until there is a new CBA ironed out

Third .... I like Sharper .... but dont think he's a good fit for this team anylonger . His age and injuries are the main reasons . ( I was one of Sharpers biggest supporters and pretty irate when the Texans released him last year )
If they were a player or two away I may consider Sharper ..... But this team needs to develop young talent within the orginization .....because they are at least 2-3 seasons away from a serious play-off run and would just have another hole to fill later.

The time for youth is now

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt he'd want to come back and personally I wouldn't want him back with the issues he is having with injury.
Old 03-03-2006   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler
Default one simple word

leadership.

With the injuries and age I'm not sure about the interest in Sharper. After he got released last year he had a hard time finding another team. I wouldn't mind him coming back but for a way less salary and competing for the MLB position. Might light the fire under him again and if he's recovered well from his injury he'd be fresh legs. We can develop all the talent we want through the draft but a superbowl team always has a good mix of veteran leadership and talented youth.

Who would be the defensive leader next year anyway? G-funk is all but gone. D-Rob is still a bit too young to be a noted veteran leader. Kailee Wong off injury and I am not sure if he is team leader caliber. Spare me Seth Payne. I say bring Sharper back and solidfy the middle and more importanly bring a leader the team knows. Has a ring. Think A-la Jeremiah Trotter.
Please_Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve
leadership.

Spare me Seth Payne. I say bring Sharper back and solidfy the middle and more importanly bring a leader the team knows. Has a ring. Think A-la Jeremiah Trotter.
How about explaining this thinking? While there have been multiple reports both from Houston and Seatle that Sharper was at most a lead by playing well leader, Payne was noted to have pulled the team together last year and delivered a passionate speech.

Maybe leadership isn't always in the flashy package or the winning package. And FYI, he got the ring at OLB in a 4-3--Ray Lewis was the MLB.
Old 03-03-2006   #8
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
How about explaining this thinking? While there have been multiple reports both from Houston and Seatle that Sharper was at most a lead by playing well leader, Payne was noted to have pulled the team together last year and delivered a passionate speech.

Maybe leadership isn't always in the flashy package or the winning package. And FYI, he got the ring at OLB in a 4-3--Ray Lewis was the MLB.

I never said he played MLB in Baltimore. However, He did lead the league in tackles one year playing MLB in Houston. I hadn't heard that Seth did that but there's the leadership by example (sharper) and the vocal team leaders (seth in this case i guess). The fact is both styles get it done. I do recorgnize that it was Sharper,Coleman(before last year) and Glenn's presence that made the defense better. Period.

We can keep bringing in talent but it won't make a difference unless we bring in Veterans who know how to win. I See an oppurtunity to bring in someone for cheap(maybe?) who can make a difference in this area. It was glaring last year more then anything atheletically we were lacking.

Last edited by Please_Evolve; 03-03-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Please_Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read