Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2004   #1
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default t hollings

hollings looked pretty good except for his fumblitis. i only saw two fumbles but i heard he ended up with 4! kinda scary to think he could see sig pt if dd goes down.
on the plus, j wells looks like hes faster than year 1. he looked like a different player.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004   #2
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: t hollings

I saw 2, and the official stats have him with 2.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think they counted the one after Banks handed off to him as a fumble by Banks. I was very impressed by Robinson.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004   #4
NoBullTexan
Veteran

He better get all those turnovers out of his system during the pre-season, because he will be riding the pine if he does it in the regular season.
Old 08-15-2004   #5
Tyr
Rookie

As much as I agree about Hollings needing to control the fumbles (showed issues last year as well), I still say that first one was nothing but a solid helmut to the ball. That would've been difficult for anyone to hold on to.

A couple of the other ones though were not excuse.
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

That was my only real question about the game, why couldnt Hollings hold on to the ball? That first one was a good helmet to ball and I understood that, but on the next one he dropped a good hand off and in the second half he gave away the Texans only turnover under the pile.

Hopefully DC gives him some laps or push ups or whatever punishment the pros get so he can stop all that fumbling and learn to keep 2 hands on the ball.
Old 08-15-2004   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm willing to eat crow and say Hollings may turn out to be alright after all. Remember he does not have alot of experience at the RB position, there are fundementals that still need to be ingrained and he needs to develop better upper body strength. However having said that, he impressed me with his acceleration and explosivness, something that last year I was unconvinced he would be able to regain. Mad props to the medical team & trainers. Let's be patient with Tony and give him time to develop, today was just the beginning.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2004   #8
J-Man
Veteran

Default The next Tiki Barber?

I have been waiting to see Hollings good some extended action and he is a hard runner, excellent burst and able receiver. What he is not is a sure handed "trust with the rock in critical situations" guy yet...After the 3rd ball hitting the turf he was involved in I immediately started refering to him as Tiki2. This was the knock on him last year was slippery hands as well. Hope that this gets rectified!
On another note I noticed Wells got nicked up...but he looks incredibly improved over the last couple seasons.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #9
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
....but on the next one he dropped a good hand off and in the second half he gave away the Texans only turnover under the pile.
The one he lost was because he was out of the game for 2 quarters and had to come in for Anderson when he got hurt, he was cold and his mind wasnt in the game anymore, he didnt think he was going to play again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I'm willing to eat crow and say Hollings may turn out to be alright after all
:hehe: Remember who stuck up for Hollings when you doubters said that Hollings couldnt regain his speed or quickness and that he would not be able to break tackles??? That was me.

But remember, we did not talk about fumbles....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeBC32
Other than the fumbles,one was caused by a good hit, he looked good.
This won't be a joking matter to any of us if he continues to cough up the football. It doesn't matter how good he runs out there, or how much yardage he gets. If he makes this a habit, Capers won't let him play.

I'm worried about it, because historically, players that have the propensity to fumble, will always have the propensity to fumble. If Hollings develops a rep, the opposing teams will concentrate that much harder to force him to fumble, sometimes at the expense of wrapping him up. Risky, but worth it in red-zone situations.

Against Pittsburgh, I'll be watching Hollings, not to see how much he runs, but if he can hold on to the egg. If he can't, he'll put Capers on the spot.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
This won't be a joking matter to any of us if he continues to cough up the football. It doesn't matter how good he runs out there, or how much yardage he gets. If he makes this a habit, Capers won't let him play.

I'm worried about it, because historically, players that have the propensity to fumble, will always have the propensity to fumble. If Hollings develops a rep, the opposing teams will concentrate that much harder to force him to fumble, sometimes at the expense of wrapping him up. Risky, but worth it in red-zone situations.

Against Pittsburgh, I'll be watching Hollings, not to see how much he runs, but if he can hold on to the egg. If he can't, he'll put Capers on the spot.
Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, and Travis Henry all have fumbling problems, although Henry cleaned his up last year. The first fumble was helmet to ball, what was he suppose to do??? The second one was with Banks at QB, so Hollings had to adjust to a different QB handing him the ball. And the one he lost in the redzone, he had just sat on the bench for 2 full quarters and his mind wasnt in the game.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 08-15-2004   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, and Travis Henry all have fumbling problems, although Henry cleaned his up last year. The first fumble was helmet to ball, what was he suppose to do??? The second one was with Banks at QB, so Hollings had to adjust to a different QB handing him the ball. And the one he lost in the redzone, he had just sat on the bench for 2 full quarters and his mind wasnt in the game.
You're making excuses for Hollings' fumbling. From what what I have learned about Capers, he doesn't want to listen to them. You've got to hang onto the ball . . period!

And as far as Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, and Travis Henry are concerned, I would wage that if you asked DC if he would want any of those three on his football team, you'd be disappointed in his answer. Coughing up the rock is that big of a pet peeve of his.

And yes, Hollings does remind me of Tiki Barber, and I don't mean that as a compliment.
Old 08-15-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're making excuses for Hollings' fumbling. From what what I have learned about Capers, he doesn't want to listen to them. You've got to hang onto the ball . . period!

And as far as Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, and Travis Henry are concerned, I would wage that if you asked DC if he would want any of those three on his football team, you'd be disappointed in his answer. Coughing up the rock is that big of a pet peeve of his.

And yes, Hollings does remind me of Tiki Barber, and I don't mean that as a compliment.
Yeah I am making excuses, but they were resonable excuses. You can blame him for the fumble on the goal line that he recovered, although that was credited to Banks in the offical stats, but I have yet to see a back in the league that can hold onto the ball when the defender's helmet hits the ball right on, and the one he lost, come on, the guy was sitting on the bench, talking and joking with other players and now he has to go back on to the field when he thought his day was over...

As strict as Capers is with fumbling, to say that he would not pick up Barber, Green, or Henry is kind of out there because they do so many good things that overshawdow the bad.

And how can you not be complimenting Hollings when you say he reminds you of Tiki Barber, Vinny said it best in another thread, Hollings and Tiki have great speed and are able to make big plays on screens and runs...

Old 08-15-2004   #14
Panther5407
All Pro

Last night one of Hollings fumbles is almost impossible to hold on too. When that defender just gets the perfect postion on the ball with his face mask, no one is able to hold on. Overall though I thought Hollings looked very good.
Old 08-15-2004   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And how can you not be complimenting Hollings when you say he reminds you of Tiki Barber, Vinny said it best in another thread, Hollings and Tiki have great speed and are able to make big plays on screens and runs...
Because Barber is well known for coughing it up at the worst times. Just go the Giants MB and ask them about it if you don't believe me.

I'm just hoping that the word "Hollings' and the word 'fumble' doesn't become part of the same sentence on a weekly basis this season. If it does, that's a problem.
Old 08-15-2004   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Because Barber is well known for coughing it up at the worst times. Just go the Giants MB and ask them about it if you don't believe me.

I'm just hoping that the word "Hollings' and the word 'fumble' doesn't become part of the same sentence on a weekly basis this season. If it does, that's a problem.
But Barber gets the Giants into situations when he is not suppose to fumble...

I do hope, also, that 'Hollings' and 'fumble' wont be in the same sentence that often....

Old 08-15-2004   #17
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

I've got top disagree with fublelitis comment, Hollings controlled the ball most every carry. Defense caused 1st fumble that no one even DD could have handled, can't think of any RB in NFL who could have kept that one.

2nd one I lay solely at feet of incosistent Banks, he didn't impress me too much. Capers tolds him he would be there for 1/2 the plays and he seemed to act like he wasn't ready to play, you might disagree with him but I recall Joe Theisman at 1st Texans-Cowboys game saying bad handoffs and bad passes are the fault of QB. He said it is your job to handoff or make the throw, so I think Banks should get a fumble on the handoff AND Hollings deserves kudos for recovering the fumble keeping the drive alive.

BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #18
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Hollings did show some handling problems, but I don't think it will be a problem. That's the reason you play preseason games...to get the bugs and bad habits out. The fumbles were more just him not covering up when he needed to...he'll watch game film and fix what he needs to.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #19
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I agree that 2nd fumble was more Banks fault. Looked to me like Hollings had his pocket there, Banks just didn't get the ball in. And anyone who knows football knows that as long as the RB has that pocket ready, he's not responsible for getting the ball. At least that's what I teach my kids, that it takes 2 to tango on the exchange.

A note on Banks, he looked bad. Threw 2 balls at Kendrick Starling's feet that should have been easy completions, one for a TD.
Old 08-15-2004   #20
Jwwillis
All Pro

All this back and forth is bunk. EVERYBODY knows If Hollings continues to fumble like he did against the Cowgirls not only Is he off the team but more than likely out of the league. No matter the reason or excuse or special circumstance...gone, outa here, see ya later, hasta taco...Just the fact of life in the NFL.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read