Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2006   #1
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Default No Abraham

Texans | Team reportedly not interested in Abraham
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 05:52:09 -0800

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports someone close to Houston Texans general manager Charlie Casserly said the Texans have "no interest" in trading for New York Jets franchised DE John Abraham. "In fact, I spoke to a lot of people in Indianapolis (at the NFL Combine) who said they won't go near Abraham," the person said.
KFFL
Old 03-02-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...orts-headlines

Notes & quotes: The Jets continue to try to move DE John Abraham, but a person involved in the talks said they are struggling to find a team with enough cap space to take on Abraham's $8.3-million salary.
Old 03-02-2006   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon Blue
Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports someone close to Houston Texans general manager Charlie Casserly said the Texans have "no interest" in trading for New York Jets franchised DE John Abraham.
If that's true, all I can say is "good deal". Wish someone would have used
that kind of judgement with PB last year. I don't even like the sounds of this
guy. And I'm for going young anyway, but if we feel the need to mix a veteran FA in there now and then, lets pick a player(s) whose not only talented, but one who would have a positive infuence on the rest of the players and contribute to the internal chemistry of the team.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i mean it just doesn't make sense for us to be interested in him...we have enough weak DE's we don't need anymore...we need some DE's in the 275-285lb range
Old 03-02-2006   #5
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
If that's true, all I can say is "good deal". Wish someone would have used
that kind of judgement with PB last year. I don't even like the sounds of this
guy. And I'm for going young anyway, but if we feel the need to mix a veteran FA in there now and then, lets pick a player(s) whose not only talented, but one who would have a positive infuence on the rest of the players and contribute to the internal chemistry of the team.
Teams don't get rid of guys like that. Well maybe this year .
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i mean it just doesn't make sense for us to be interested in him...we have enough weak DE's we don't need anymore...we need some DE's in the 275-285lb range
Abraham was 11th in the league last year for sacks. Of the 10 guys ahead of him, just 3 were in the wight range you are describing. Doesn't seem like Abraham is too weak or too small to be an effective DE--in fact he seems more the norm for effective pass rushers than what you are describing.
Old 03-02-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it is we are getting rid of an injured DL in Walker. Why do we want to go the same route and pay alot of money for another injured DL.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2006   #8
bATXle red
Rookie

sacks sacks sacks! 11 last year 10 the year before (in 12 games i might add). The pass rush of the Texans doesn't seem like it's coming up right now. I don't care if it's Abraham or someone else but if we can get a guy under 30 that can register double digit sacks in a season we should hop on it. Who doesn't want to see Peyton Manning on his back?

Last edited by bATXle red; 03-02-2006 at 02:35 PM.
bATXle red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #9
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1291 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon Blue

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports someone close to Houston Texans general manager Charlie Casserly said the Texans have "no interest" in trading for New York Jets franchised DE John Abraham. "In fact, I spoke to a lot of people in Indianapolis (at the NFL Combine) who said they won't go near Abraham," the person said.
KFFL

Good news! I'm glad they're putting CC on a short lease if placed on! I'm not really a fan of this dude. Good moves Kubes!
Old 03-02-2006   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

infantrycak i understand the abraham is one of the best pass rushers in the game...but with the draft coming up full of speed rushers why trade for him and pay way too much money for him when we can select one of these speedsters in the 4th or 5th round...plus you already have speed rushers in babin and peek and orr...that position on this team is already at a log jam and with enough money going towards babin since he was a 1st round draft pick just 2 years ago
Old 03-02-2006   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
infantrycak i understand the abraham is one of the best pass rushers in the game...but with the draft coming up full of speed rushers why trade for him and pay way too much money for him when we can select one of these speedsters in the 4th or 5th round...plus you already have speed rushers in babin and peek and orr...that position on this team is already at a log jam and with enough money going towards babin since he was a 1st round draft pick just 2 years ago
I wasn't actually suggesting to trade for Abraham. Looks like Denver may have traded the #29 pick to get him in any event.

For whatever reason, early on at the MB I noticed a lot of folks making sweeping statements about size and noticed a lot of them didn't seem to meet up with reality. I was reacting to the size statement more than anything about trying to get Abraham.
Old 03-02-2006   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

cass making smart moves? That article is a lie.
Old 03-02-2006   #13
bATXle red
Rookie

Quote:
Babin Peek and Orr really haven't played as 4-3 DE's at the NFL level. I'm not saying they can't get the job done but i don't think we'll know until September. Hopefully noone wants to pick up Peek as a RFA.
Old 03-02-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bATXle red
Hopefully noone wants to pick up Peek as a RFA.
Hopefully if he is going to be on the bench someone does and we get a 3rd rounder back to get a player who fits the team better. And I am a Peek fan.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read