Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2006   #1
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sources Close to the team

Ok, there are a few posters on the MB who periodically post info from 'a source or sources close to the team' or something similar.
I have no reason to doubt anyone, but I haven't been around long enough to know when to believe someone when they say this.
I mean, many of the posts go unquestioned, so I take it as a generally accepted fact that many of you know that these people do, in fact have such a source at their disposal.
I just don't know who does have such access, and why I should believe them when they make this claim.
Is there any publicly available info on who is considered a believeable source of info from such a source? By publicly I mean information that we can discuss here without offending anyone or blowing anyone's cover. I don't really want specifics, I just want to know who is credible when they make this claim.
Can some of you elders show this young lad (in MB years!) the way to the truth? Or is that asking too much?

p.s. mods, I posted this here, because it is specifically in regards to the Texans.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Just like anything else on this board....... I take it all with a grain of salt. They may have a source, or sources close to the team, or industry insiders.... it doesn't change my opinion, if someone disagrees.....

if for instance someone says that people in the know don't believe Vince will be selected by the Texans, or in the top ten for that matter, and they have inside information, I won't believe it till the day after the draft... for one thing, that isn't the kind of information that teams need to be leaking. Another, falling out of the top ten doesn't make sense, and with 32 teams in the league, and you never know who is willing to trade for what, it's hard to say he'll drop out of the top 10. But that's just my opinion vs theirs, I don't see the point in getting in a tiff over it.

Now if I hear something here, before I get it in the Chronicle, or ESPN, or some other news source I trust, then I'll start believing those folks more often. So far, that hasn't been the case.
Old 03-02-2006   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a gossip board. People like to start rumors all the time. Anyone can come in here and say that they are a "source close to the team". The only way of finding out whether someone hits more than misses, is simply to keep track of the rumor-starters and see how often they pan out in the end. As, always . . . consider any source before you take it as gospel.

Now for what it's worth . . . in my mind their is a poster here called 'bdiddy' who I regard as a "source close to the team". His track record, for the most part, seems to be accurate enough to where I pay attention to him more than others. But he earned it. I just didn't take someone else's word for it.

Old 03-02-2006   #4
TexanSoldier
Rookie

Generally, I think anyone who has a "source close to the team" has been playing too much Madden.

Granted, some people might be telling the truth, but message boards are annoymous (stating the obvious I know) and are mostly just wishes people have for their favorite team. People will post anything to get a response, and saying something is from "a source close to the team" is an easy way to make people believe what you say. Don't take it too seriously until it happens.
TexanSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of us live in the state of Texas, have been around Houston football for decades, played sports in college, do the luncheon tours with the Texans, etc. What I am trying to get at is that there are not many degrees of separation between the posters on the board and people who know people. Moreover, there are may people who do not fit that altogether who bring terrific opinions/takes on how the game is played.

The net of it is, is that is incumbent upon the reader to formulate their own opinion on what they read here and elsewhere while taking into account who is disseminating the message. The holy grail is not here, but it may be as close as you come to taking the true pulse of the Texans.
Old 03-02-2006   #6
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24254 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

A "source" could very well be close to the team, but might "leak" false info on purpose.

Even if we're 100% sure "poster XXXX" is CC himself, his message may deliberately be misleading.
Beer and Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
I mean, many of the posts go unquestioned, so I take it as a generally accepted fact that many of you know that these people do, in fact have such a source at their disposal.
Eeh--IMO there is just no profit in calling anyone out on it when there is no way to have proof one way or another. A few observations though. First, take a look around at some of the recent insider claims and you will find directly conflicting "insider information." Second, one thing to consider is how often does the insider information match the already displayed opinion of the poster--funny how rarely you see, "I really want X but my sources say they don't like X and are going with Y." Last, there seems to have been an influx in the last couple months of folks who are either coaches or have insider sources--IMO it is a little odd the MB survived for 4 years with very few such claims and now a bunch of guys who are intimately involved and/or connected to football are finally interested in the Texans' MB.
Old 03-02-2006   #8
Sportsfan
All Pro

I met a guy at a party about a month or so ago who use to live next to Gaffney and he ran into him in a mall and they spoke about the team and Carr, the mods locked it though for whatever reason. Guess they thought i was full of it or something. Like I sit around thinking up stories to post on this MB.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=17591
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
I met a guy at a party about a month or so ago who use to live next to Gaffney and he ran into him in a mall and they spoke about the team and Carr, the mods locked it though for whatever reason. Guess they thought i was full of it or something. Like I sit around thinking up stories to post on this MB.

No, it was locked because it was devolving--ex. see last post in the thread.
Old 03-02-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I read the thread Sportsfan and it appears it had less do with your submission and more with the direction other posters were taking it.
Old 03-02-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It looks to me like they canned the thread because it was on the verge of degenerating into a name calling thread. Parts of it might make interesting reading to you, michaelm.
Old 03-02-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, that was 3 quick votes.
Old 03-02-2006   #13
Sportsfan
All Pro

I just love how some people here love to sit and wait for the opportunity to pounce on someone and prove them wrong. So they didn't lock it for the reasons i stated-- big deal. I didn't feel like reading back through all of the minutia of that thread.
Old 03-02-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

A source close to the team told me you should believe what you want to.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I just love how some people here love to sit and wait for the opportunity to pounce on someone and prove them wrong. So they didn't lock it for the reasons i stated-- big deal. I didn't feel like reading back through all of the minutia of that thread.
Well not to pounce on you again, but IMO your post in this thread had an implied question/invalid assertion about why the original thread was closed. No pouncing was intended, just trying to clear things up by giving the reason the thread was closed.
Old 03-02-2006   #16
done88
Veteran

The good and bad of messageboards is you don't know who to believe. On one hand information can eaisly be leaked through a message boad without anyone knowing who leaked it. On the other hand people who know nothing about a team can start a rumor that has no truth. All you can do is see whats here and look at other sources. once you can collaborate it with a few sources then you can start to believe it.
Old 03-02-2006   #17
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Yup, and just use common sense.
Old 03-02-2006   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I don't believe you.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Time and credibility temper what you should believe and what you don’t. If you have been here a while and have relayed good information....then you may be listened to more than someone with one post on a largely anonymous message board. I say 'largely anonymous' because many of us have met at one time or another. Otherwise, nobody knows who XYZTexan fan is and whatever he says is like taking stock tips from the homeless people downtown.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #20
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Time and credibility temper what you should believe and what you donít. If you have been here a while and have relayed good information....then you may be listened to more than someone with one post on a largely anonymous message board. I say 'largely anonymous' because many of us have met at one time or another. Otherwise, nobody knows who XYZTexan fan is and whatever he says is like taking stock tips from the homeless people downtown.
I thought that's the source Casserly uses for scouting players?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read