Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-01-2006   #1
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default What does everyone think of Mercedes Lewis 2nd Round?

With the 1st pick in the Second Round and if he is there which I think he will, what does everyone think about Mercedes Lewis with that pick? Weighing in at 6'-6" 256, he didn't have a wonderful 40's time but was outstanding in everything else. I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Give me your take.

Last edited by O.G.; 03-01-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typo, missed putting in a word
O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlered
i would take him if we trade down to get an lineman in the first round but if we take bush or someone else other than a lineman, i would def have to take a lineman in the second round
I agree.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #3
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlered
i would take him if we trade down to get an lineman in the first round
but if we take bush or someone else other than a lineman, i would def have to take a lineman in the second round
Ditto, but if leonard pope were to fall, we take him over lewis...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #4
Frills
Veteran

Lets see who gets cut, the FA market will be flodded with players, If we get a good DE in FA then I like Lewis in the 2nd.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Like stated above, only if we trade down and draft Ferguson do I see us taking Lewis in the second, but yeah I want Pope too.
Old 03-01-2006   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a TE, I dont know much about him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #7
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
We need a TE, I dont know much about him.

6'5 255 ran 4.6 at the combine from UCLA
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2006   #8
Jerry
Veteran

He ran a ~4.8, not a 4.6.

I'd be very interested in him (assuming that Pope is gone at this point) only if we traded down and picked up D'Brick. We need to go OT in round 1 or 2.
Old 03-01-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

He is my #2 rated TE.

I take him in a heartbeat, assuming a few things:

Ko Simpson did not make it to #33
We take D'brick in the first
We don't sign a FA center, and Mangold is there.

If everything fits, I take him. If we don't take D'brick in the first, we must go OT in the second. If Simpson is there at #33, we take him before Lewis. Same with Mangold.
Old 03-01-2006   #10
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

im conviced we are taking Winston with the 1st in the 2nd wich would be a very good pick.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #11
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
He ran a ~4.8, not a 4.6.

I'd be very interested in him (assuming that Pope is gone at this point) only if we traded down and picked up D'Brick. We need to go OT in round 1 or 2.
Yes, Mercedes Lewis ran a slow 4.84. We could probably get him in the 3rd round now.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Yes, Mercedes Lewis ran a slow 4.84. We could probably get him in the 3rd round now.
No. I would put money on it that he goes before the third.
Old 03-01-2006   #13
BMT Texan
Rookie

Dominick bryd would be a better choice IMO
BMT Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT Texan
Dominick bryd would be a better choice IMO
Why?

That notion has to be a joke.

Byrd is always injured, lacks top size, struggles to block well, has a lot of injury problems, and is not that much faster.

Lewis is 6'5ish. He can stretch the field and he can block well. He has a frame to add bulk, and improved a lot as a blocker this year. He will have an immediate impact for some team this year.

Byrd will be lucky if he is 2nd string.
Old 03-01-2006   #15
Jerry
Veteran

I'd say #33 is too early but he will be gone will before #65. Somewhere in the 45-55 range.
Old 03-01-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
I'd say #33 is too early but he will be gone will before #65. Somewhere in the 45-55 range.
Yes. Nice post. Using logic instead of wishfull thinking.
Old 03-01-2006   #17
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

TE in the 3rd if we don't pick one up in FA. If we do pick one up then look to the 5th or 6th for a TE.

1st rd anyones guess
2nd rd OL
3rd DE
3rd OL/WR/RB/QB/ (from this point on gets shady due to FA)
4th DB/S
5th TE or DE
6th DE or TE
7th LB
Old 03-01-2006   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

there are a lot better TE's in these draft than lewis...klopfenstein would be better
Old 03-01-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mind Byrd in the 3rd if he is available.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #20
Jerry
Veteran

I think Byrd is climbing though, possibly even eclipsing/tying Lewis as TE #3 in the late-1st/early-2nd position though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read