Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2006   #1
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will the CBA collapse be a boon for the Texans?

We are under the cap and cutting players to get further under. With teams who are over having to unload a bunch of players, could there be a QUALITY FA or two in our future? Who?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #2
Frills
Veteran

Thinking 07 being uncapped could be a good thing for us.

We aren't a small market and Bob has shown he'll pay for a team.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

the CBA situation is bad for every1 but not AS bad for us as a few other. its horrible for the nfl in general though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i posted this is another thread, but feel it belongs here too

i dont know about you guys, but i dont wanna buy our super bowl. I dont want it to be the new york yankees of football, where we assemble some super team for a year, get our ring, and then disband. I want to earn it, i want it to be a team of players we drafted, brought up through are system, made a COUPLE of key acquisitions through free agency, and won as a team. I never want to hear
"Peyton Manning to Randy Moss...who laterals to ladanian tomlinson! Texans Touchdown!"
This aint madden...this is the nfl, and i like it the way it is.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

exactly thats why the SB means so much to every1- its so hard to get there because the league is competitive and theres much more sense of accomplishment when you've suceeded in something which is very difficult to do. it would be very sickening if it was just the redskins, cowboys, texans and patriots winning all the time
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #6
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07

i dont know about you guys, but i dont wanna buy our super bowl. I dont want it to be the new york yankees of football, where we assemble some super team for a year, get our ring, and then disband. I want to earn it, i want it to be a team of players we drafted, brought up through are system, made a COUPLE of key acquisitions through free agency, and won as a team. I never want to hear
"Peyton Manning to Randy Moss...who laterals to ladanian tomlinson! Texans Touchdown!"
This aint madden...this is the nfl, and i like it the way it is.
theres more satisfaction in building a team over a number of years and watching those draft picks develop into outstanding players. The Pats built over time and never went for the BIG FA, I liked the way they did that.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #7
GoneTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07

... I dont want it to be the new york yankees of football, where we assemble some super team for a year, get our ring, and then disband. I want to earn it...this is the nfl, and i like it the way it is.
I agree SW! The old saying “You are only as strong as your weakest link!” is true in this situation. The NFL is not just the strongest market teams but every team in the league. I only blame the owners in this case because you have the Jones’s & Snyder’s who would pay at what ever costs! It’s no wonder why they are in this predicament and why they have multi-million dollar contracts and steep ticket prices. If the CBA is abolished then most of us fans will see the NFL in a different light. This may be the beginning of the end and I would not put it past the owners to restructure the NFL and maybe close the 2007 season as well.
GoneTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2006   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I could see the Texans finding a few key free agents to fill in key need positions. Maybe pick up Fujita or Akin Ayodele for the MLB, and maybe find a veteran nickle CB on the cheap.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #9
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTexan
If the CBA is abolished then most of us fans will see the NFL in a different light. This may be the beginning of the end and I would not put it past the owners to restructure the NFL and maybe close the 2007 season as well.
The big market teams would dominate which might be a good thing for the Texans but not for the NFL.

You only have to look at soccer in Europe to see how it would go. Its the same teams every season competing for the trophies. The richer clubs get richer with the weaker struggling to survive.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #10
Frills
Veteran

What about offering a multiyear deal for a FA, having a huge 07 season then 08 and beyond being more cap friendly.
Old 03-01-2006   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

My interest in the NFL will plummet if this happens. That's not supposed to be any kind of a threat or anything . . it's based upon how I felt when baseball went to unrestricted free agency with no salary cap.

It will be like baseball, but in a tragic way, it won't. Teams will be divided up into haves, and have-nots, destroying any notion of competitive balance.

Just ask yourselves this question. If you regarded your team to be in the 'have-not' group, would you buy season tickets to see them play?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The cap has not been in place forever in the NFL and it was competitive before one was in place. In fact, the quality of play if anything would improve. Teams would actually be able to develop players overtime and then keep those players instead running them out as soon they became decent players. Go figure, some teams would have quality depth. The players who would benefit the most would be the more boring veteran guys who either starting quality or excellent special teamers.

In the end, the best organizations will win, but the one who spend the most money. Same as it now in the NFL, same as actually is in baseball (versus perception).
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #13
Frills
Veteran

Although the issue with the have nots will be greatly increased, its going on now even with a cap in place.

There are owners who will refuse to pay the money, New Orleans pre Katrina is a huge example. I have no issue with revenue sharing, but when the owners of low market teams pocket the cash instead of investing it into the team they own...its pathetic.
Old 03-01-2006   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Around the NFL . . disbelief and even desperation

“ We're going to behead the golden goose. And I can't see why both sides would ever let it get to that. ... A lot of things in our league could be changed forever. ”

— An NFC team owner

All of a sudden, who we're taking with the 1st pick seems rather petty.
Old 03-01-2006   #15
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Well, New Orleans would likely turn into a have as they move to LA.

I'll also add that the NFL wouldn't quite have the havenot problem in the MLB. Some small market teams are extremely well supported, think Green Bay. MLB has trouble selling seats, that's not so much an issue in the NFL.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I wouldn't worry about that happening...cause it's silly. The first thing we need to buy is a winning team...forget SB for now. The uncapped year will help us clear out some of our signing mistakes over the first 4 years...that's the boon I see.
I don't want to buy a winning team. I want to build one . . on an equal playing field.
Old 03-01-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I don't want to buy a winning team. I want to build one . . on an equal playing field.
Build one...buy one....we still pay for services. All the same to me. I'm a football fan...I enjoy good football and really don't care how we get there...as long as its a good product. Last year was not a good product.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #18
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTexan
I agree SW! The old saying “You are only as strong as your weakest link!” is true in this situation. The NFL is not just the strongest market teams but every team in the league. I only blame the owners in this case because you have the Jones’s & Snyder’s who would pay at what ever costs! It’s no wonder why they are in this predicament and why they have multi-million dollar contracts and steep ticket prices. If the CBA is abolished then most of us fans will see the NFL in a different light. This may be the beginning of the end and I would not put it past the owners to restructure the NFL and maybe close the 2007 season as well.
When I question Alan j Burge (AJ on this board) he clarified the issue. Some small market teams such as Green Bay do not want to sell naming rights to their stadium. McNair and some others have sold those rights and also made other $ with innovative marketing and deals that others don't choose to do. AJ recently wrote an article on Texans site as "voice of the fans" that I strongly recommend. I know small markets have less $ coming in and should not necessarily be allowed to go bankrupt; however several public sources have estimated that the new TV package allows each NFL owner to pocket $100 million each year of the TV deal. That is before one ticket, beer, hotdog or luxury box is sold. The cap for 2006 is to be apprx $75million. All other costs should be covered by the remaining $25m. All other $ generated such as radio, parking and concessions + 1/32 of all NFL gear (jackets,caps,etc) goes to each owner. Sounds like the small market owners are wanting their share of a large pie and then some of the other owners shares on top. If I was Jones or McNair I too would say "Get your act together and stay out of my pocket."

Remember these whiny owners demanded McNair put up hundreds of millions of dollars just to be allowed to get a franchise. Guess who got that money?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #19
GoneTexan
Rookie

My how easy it is to forget that Houston lost it’s football team before? These same owners who are fighting among each other are also the ones that must be asked to allow to move to other cities? Yes you can be creative on how you make all those $$$ but usually it is the fans that pays the price! Jones bought the Cowboys and made changes like not allowing fans to tailgate to increase food revenues as an example of his genius. What’s next for McNair and all other owners? Do they also tell the NFL to forget your long sponsors like Coke … I like Pepsi and I will do what ever I like! Hey, I see Los Angeles does not have a team, I’ll take mine and move over there because the market is a lot bigger! I hate to say it, but we as fan will be the ones that loses.
GoneTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #20
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Why cant they up the salary cap quite a bit and let this game be more about decisions and drafting instead of a money thing...It really takes the Power Dynasty teams out of the game and I really liked seeing them because when they got beat it was more exciting where now you cant predict anything!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read