Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Texans trade and FA rumors

So the FA date is Mar. 3rd if i'm not mistaken, what rumors are floating around as to who they are talking to?
Personally i'm hoping they can add someone w/some strong leadership on D, preferibly a LB. Another solid d-back would be nice too, maybe an aggresive DE if available at the right price. On offense maybe a solid #2 or #3 WR and an O lineman or 2.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

A FA QB would be interesting too, that would somewhat put a big hole through the VY theory. Who knows, we'll see in a couple of days
Old 03-01-2006   #3
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I think the Carr extension already put a big hole through the VY theory.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
I think the Carr extension already put a big hole through the VY theory.
You would have thought, but the Vince Young fans are pretty committed to their delusions.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
You would have thought, but the Vince Young fans are pretty committed to their delusions.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Banks getting sent to the chopping block at least gives the impression that they could take a QB 1st overall .

As for trades , I think the most desirable trade involving the #1 pick would be a package which would include the Jets 4th overall and next years #1 .
The most probable trade partner I think would be the Raiders who own the 7th pick.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

To go from first to seventh, I would expect a boatload of compensation, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2006   #8
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't know if anybody else heard it on 610, but they said the Texans told Walker he might not be back next yr. I think this means he might be put on the trade block otherwise they would have cut him along with everybody else yesterday.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I don't know if anybody else heard it on 610, but they said the Texans told Walker he might not be back next yr. I think this means he might be put on the trade block otherwise they would have cut him along with everybody else yesterday.
Walker has been cut.

Edit: Nevermind, I may have spoke too soon. Sorry.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #10
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Tony Banks getting sent to the chopping block at least gives the impression that they could take a QB 1st overall .

As for trades , I think the most desirable trade involving the #1 pick would be a package which would include the Jets 4th overall and next years #1 .
The most probable trade partner I think would be the Raiders who own the 7th pick.
Actually I think it would be SF at #6 this way we still have a shot at any of the big five that might fall and if not we can take Vernon Davis as a consolation prize. I think the 49ers might do it if the asking price isn't to high, but this yr and next yrs first as well as maybe a third this yr. and a second next yr. outside of that I don't really have any Ideas what might happen.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #11
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not that they wouldnt entertain offers for him on a trade, but the reason that he was not cut yesterday, wasnt trade related IMO. If the CBA was done the cap for 06 would be almost $10 MM higher than without. So if the CBA gets done they will let him go immediately. If not, they will wait until after june 1 so that only 1/2 of the cap hit rolls into the 06 cap figure. At least that is the way I understand what they are doing.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #12
Keldar
Veteran

Quote:
Could be that the Texans don't think Ragone is anywhere near being a rookie anymore. Why have two "journeyman" back-ups?
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

there is going to be a lot of trade rumors flying around but i wouldn't pay that much attention to them...remember without a CBA in place trades are harder to come by without any certainty about the cap
Old 03-01-2006   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also without a CBA, huge name FAs could be released because of the problematic 95 million cap this year
Old 03-01-2006   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually I think it would be SF at #6 this way we still have a shot at any of the big five that might fall and if not we can take Vernon Davis as a consolation prize. I think the 49ers might do it if the asking price isn't to high, but this yr and next yrs first as well as maybe a third this yr. and a second next yr. outside of that I don't really have any Ideas what might happen.

Vernon Davis would be my target at the 7 spot or anywhere below the 4th pick for that matter ..... I Highly doubt that the 49er's would be a viable trade partner . They are in the same boat as the Jets as far as talent goes . Both teams need more picks not less.... which is why i say the most desirable trade is with the Jets but it is also the least likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded
Not that they wouldnt entertain offers for him on a trade, but the reason that he was not cut yesterday, wasnt trade related IMO. If the CBA was done the cap for 06 would be almost $10 MM higher than without. So if the CBA gets done they will let him go immediately. If not, they will wait until after june 1 so that only 1/2 of the cap hit rolls into the 06 cap figure. At least that is the way I understand what they are doing.
an explination of the reason for waiting until after June 1 from todays Chronicle
Link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3692603.html
Quote:
Waiving Walker before June 1 will cost them $1.5 million against the cap. If they wait until after June 1, the remainder of his prorated signing bonus would come out of the 2007 cap with a new collective bargaining agreement. Without an extension of the collective bargaining agreement, 2007 will be an uncapped year, and teams can spend whatever they want on players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldar
Could be that the Texans don't think Ragone is anywhere near being a rookie anymore. Why have two "journeyman" back-ups?
I think Kubiak has some faith in Ragone being a capable back-up .... But in general most teams carry at least 3 QB's with their top back-up having more game experience than Ragone . With so many QB's on the FA market this offseason Banks is easily replaced . So there is little risk in cutting him.
Banks would have cost just over $1Mill against the cap for the coming season , Im not sure they can find a game tested QB for that cost . This probably does move Ragone up in the pecking order .... Pending they dont take a QB in the first round. ( I dont really think they will .... But they gave themselves the option by cutting Banks)

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-01-2006   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Cutting Carr would have given them an option to draft a QB in the first. Cutting Banks gives them the option to pick up a cheap FA or draft a QB in the second day.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #17
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
I think Kubiak has some faith in Ragone being a capable back-up ....
I wouldn't be surprised if Ragone was the backup .... assuming Young isn't drafted of course .... we're assuming Kubiak can "coach up" Carr in additon to protecting him, so why can't he do that for Ragone?
Old 03-01-2006   #18
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
And also on ESPN insider they say that LeCharles Bentley really likes the Vikings and they go on and on about how much he would like to go there.

Please Mr.McNair give him more money then they do.
Vikings are one if, if not the most under the cap in spending money.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Cutting Carr would have given them an option to draft a QB in the first. Cutting Banks gives them the option to pick up a cheap FA or draft a QB in the second day.

Why would you cut a veteran back-up QB who's cap hit was $1,053,000 when its likely going to cost more than that to replace him via FA.

Its simply a smoke screen to increase the value of the #1.

To replace Banks Via FA would likely cost more than that $1,053,000 .... Drafting a second day QB either moves Ragone up the depth chart or you sign another veteran.

What veteran QB on the FA market would you sugguest the Texans bring in that would cost less ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-01-2006   #20
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

The Vikes are a ton of money under the cap, it will be hard to match what they can offer. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read